Canon back to the drawingboard or is there still hope?

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
bdunbar79 said:
neuroanatomist said:
psolberg said:
canon isn't going to do anything. Their entire business relies on a legacy lens system designed for the times where mirrors were essential. But today they have basically no lenses for the modern full frame miror-less future and even if they started today, they are already playing catchup, a position they don't know how to play.

Yeah, mirrorless killed the dSLR right on schedule, last year. Somehow we all missed it – what silly, unobservant people we are. Today, it seems Canon really has missed the boat since unit sales of mirrorless cameras are growing dramatically...arent they?

2009: mirrorless is gonna finish off DSLR's!
2010-2014: each year was surely the year!
2015: this is the year man, I can feel it!

Mirrorless might start making a dent if the designers weren't fixated on making miniature cameras with lousy ergonomics (I have an M, thank you very much).

The 50th percentile human has hands of a certain size. A 6D is a really excellent fit for those hands. Take out the mirror and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
1982chris911 said:
Sporgon said:
1982chris911 said:
If it would be easy today I really think Nikon would have designed such lenses for use in Fashion/Portrait photography ... Canon did 4 already in the current EF mount : 50mm f1 50mm f1,2 85mm f1,2 85mm f1,2 II

Not necessarily. In cameras Nikon and Canon are under different pressures. Cameras are part of Canon whereas Nikon is part of Mitsubishi. Given the pressure on Nikon to perform for Mitsubishi I imagine they feel the return in f1.2 lenses isn't worth the development and manufacturing cost, so they are leaving Canon alone on that one. Similar situation with the 7DII too. It's this difference why (IMO) Nikon cameras are getting cheaper (in quality) when compared with Canon - Nikon are probably under more pressure to make more margin per unit.

not sure if a lens design really makes much difference if specifications are known and you don't have to reinvent the wheel ... I mean you really think to design a f1,2 is so much different cost wise from a zoom or telephoto ... after all the 1,2f they could sell for considerably more than their current product: 50mmf1,2 - 1750 USD ; 85mm f1,2 2250 USD ...

I also think the f1,2 lenses are show off lenses ... the pictures captured with these are very much in the public eye (fashion magazines, heads of state and international stars, playboy... etc) so they brand advertisement ... that's why Canon put a lot into the 50 f1,0 & 85mm f1,2 to capture the fashion market back in the days... as they did with the big whites for sports ...

We're talking opinions here, but bear in mind Nikon would have to produce a lens which competed with Canon's 1.2, and it would be expensive to produce relative to what they would be able to sell it for. Also I think it is an exaggeration to say Canon took the fashion world by storm with the fast 50s and 85s. Judging by the involvement I've had in this area I'd say lenses like the 300 f2.8 were the favoured optic where possible. It would be interesting to know how many units Canon sells in the f/1.2 range. I would image it is minute compared with overall sales. Also I don't think it was the optics that resulted in Canon jumping ahead in sports; more like the AF.

Anyway, it's only opinion.

Here is the technical explanation why there is only the old 50mm f1,2 and Nikon CANNOT really make a new one with AF - the back element of such a lens would be too big for the AF pins to fit into the body ... otherwise they would need a solution for this

You can see it here: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-af-nikkor-50mm-f-1-4d-lens-review-21466
so the old 50mm f1,2 is the only one possible as it does not need those pins:

Canon's EF mounts has the pins further out and flat so you can use more room for the back element:
http://cdn-ae.pricena.com/files/images/products/original/136/Canon-EF-85mm-f12L-II-USM-Lens_5155_5f92b8f8fb776d68823ffd8677dbf50f.jpg

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
Sporgon said:
1982chris911 said:
Sporgon said:
1982chris911 said:
I read somewhere, sometime ago that the current Nikon mount makes it impossible to design lenses beyond f1,4 (that being the actual reason why Nikon does not have such offering at 50 or 85mm and why also Zeiss is limited at 1,4f if it wants to remain compatible with both looks at the Otus being f1.4 ).

Another internet myth.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/1435/NIKKOR-50mm-f%252F1.2.html

Hardly a current design: Designed in 1981 this MF lens is mainly for Film cameras ... Nikon seems to be really innovative with its f1,2 line ;-) Maybe I should add "current" to what I wrote above as there is no current lens that works anymore ...

True, but it suggests the mount diameter isn't the limiting factor. Also bear in mind that even on the EF mount, for digital Canon 'fix' the data to accommodate f/1.2 exposure, much more so on the 5DII than the original 5D. I dread to think what it's doing with the 5Ds.

Not sure this still holds true when you add an AF module to the design...

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
1982chris911 said:
If it would be easy today I really think Nikon would have designed such lenses for use in Fashion/Portrait photography ... Canon did 4 already in the current EF mount : 50mm f1 50mm f1,2 85mm f1,2 85mm f1,2 II

Not necessarily. In cameras Nikon and Canon are under different pressures. Cameras are part of Canon whereas Nikon is part of Mitsubishi. Given the pressure on Nikon to perform for Mitsubishi I imagine they feel the return in f1.2 lenses isn't worth the development and manufacturing cost, so they are leaving Canon alone on that one. Similar situation with the 7DII too. It's this difference why (IMO) Nikon cameras are getting cheaper (in quality) when compared with Canon - Nikon are probably under more pressure to make more margin per unit.

For nikon's financial pressures, look at Thom Hogan's site. He does the best job at this. As for the D400: the reason is nikon wanted to move people up to nikon's FX formt. Clearly that didn't go so well. They'll make a D400. It is trivial for them. They simply misjudged anybody cared for DX. Again, Thom Hogan called them out often and he was right: some people still care for APSC. As to when, it is anybody's guess.

The days where f1.2 glass is needed for low light photography are long gone. That is why canon no longer bothers with f1.0 lenses: the quality you're going to get on today's sensors would not be acceptable at the price they can sell it to. The current optical quality at f1.2 is also dismal which is why you don't see Zeiss put out such a thing because merely doing f1.2 for marketing while it is a mess of CA and softness is pointless. The OTUS line, which run circles around any f1.2L or faster lens is a testament to the lack of value in f1.2 lenses: you're just not going to get quality there and the cost and weight will go up. Zeiss doesn't answer to nikon or canon. They just want to make the best glass at a price you can actually afford (being relative here). f1.2 just isn't a means to quality and its small advantages over lighter and cheaper f1.4 lenses just isn't an issue anymore, at least not for a mere 2/3 of a stop.

I don't know if canon will keep making f1.2 lenses or that nikon won't get around to it. It don't think it matters anymore with sensors as good as they are at high ISO and given the optical flaws of fast primes wide open are only going to be magnified by newer sensors. I'm guessing the decline in the DSLR market will push companies for more practical gear. Making a f/1.4 lens that performs at 50+MP will be more practical than one that does this at f/1.2. But who knows. The future of f1.0 and faster glass may be with mirrorless. Nikon already has a 1.2 prime for the 1 inch sensor. These are still practical as they can be made to perform given the smaller image circle they need to project.

Ultimately if Nikon or sony put out an f1.2 prime for full frame, I think it will be a heavy expensive niche lens.

Here is the technical explanation why there is only the old 50mm f1,2 and Nikon CANNOT really make a new one with AF - the back element of such a lens would be too big for the AF pins to fit into the body ... otherwise they would need a solution for this
They can solve it how canon did the 85 1.2, the AF contacts intrude in the back element. Or how canon did the 50 f1.0, where the contacts were even visible in bokeh white open.

Nikon can do this. The AF contacts aren't a problem for a mere 1.2 lens. They just have to do what canon has already done. I think they'd be more of an issue for a 1.0 lens, but again nobody makes those anymore due to their terrible performance wide open.

the intrusion of the contacts on the optical path of the rear element is exactly how canon solved this, and how nikon would.

camera_0803-img600x560-1400320285saarsb4226-1000x1000.jpg

the contacts would not be visible since they will be out of focus and the frame is rectangular, not square. It may yield for some funky artifacts for nikon depending on their geometries like they did on the canon f1.0

http://fstoppers.com/gear/ultimate-lens-bokeh-canon-50mm-f10-5059

notice the circles are clipped.

Not sure this still holds true when you add an AF module to the design...
AF module or not, same answer. It is just harder to do it but a 50 1.2 is perfectly possible if canon managed to work around the issue on the 50 1.0 and the 85 1.2. It isn't as if the problem hasn't been solved by canon already for more extreme cases where the EF mount was challenged.

here is the 50 1.0 notice how the contacts clearly get in the way

1796968079_606e0d585f_z.jpg

conclusion: nikon can make such a design at least for a 50 f1.2. Again, the practicality of f1.2 is questionable today. Unless nikon went for an OTUS approach, f1.2 is going to look as flawed as it does on the EF lenses. And given such lens would probably run 10K, who'd buy it?

lastly here is the 50 1.2 nikon

D3S_6722-1200.jpg

notice how there is still room in there to do what canon did. in fact keep in mind nikon also has an aperture arm in there which they get rid of with their E lenses, so it is even easier now as before they would also have had to make room for the aperture arm.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
psolberg said:
at he contacts would not be visible since they will be out of focus and the frame is rectangular, not square. It may yield for some funky artifacts for nikon depending on their geometries like they did on the canon f1.0

That's the mirror box, and it happens with the 85/1.2L as well. Interestingly, you also see mirror box-clipped bokeh with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on APS-C cameras.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
psolberg said:
at he contacts would not be visible since they will be out of focus and the frame is rectangular, not square. It may yield for some funky artifacts for nikon depending on their geometries like they did on the canon f1.0

That's the mirror box, and it happens with the 85/1.2L as well. Interestingly, you also see mirror box-clipped bokeh with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on APS-C cameras.

fair enough. Still, the point remains: AF contacts in the way of a rear element isn't really holding nikon back on something like a 50 1.2. It is a problem that isn't exclusive to nikon with solutions that are arrived to by creative minds. My bet is they won't bother to pursue this. If they do, I bet it will be in the mirror-less era which would require a new mount and they may as well make life easier this time by ensuring such a lens doesn't have to be harder to design than it should.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
psolberg said:
neuroanatomist said:
psolberg said:

fair enough. Still, the point remains: AF contacts in the way of a rear element isn't really holding nikon back on something like a 50 1.2. It is a problem that isn't exclusive to nikon with solutions that are arrived to by creative minds. My bet is they won't bother to pursue this. If they do, I bet it will be in the mirror-less era which would require a new mount and they may as well make life easier this time by ensuring such a lens doesn't have to be harder to design than it should.

Mirrorless alone would actually be worse, not in terms of contacts but in terms of oblique light angles. Already Canon and Nikon have to clandestinely boost ISO on fast lenses because the microlenses block very oblique light. Moving the lens closer to the sensor would make that worse (higher pixel densities also make it worse). Better to wait for BSI sensors...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
psolberg said:
neuroanatomist said:
psolberg said:

Mirrorless alone would actually be worse, not in terms of contacts but in terms of oblique light angles. Already Canon and Nikon have to clandestinely boost ISO on fast lenses because the microlenses block very oblique light. Moving the lens closer to the sensor would make that worse (higher pixel densities also make it worse). Better to wait for BSI sensors...

Why stop at BSI. That has been done. Stacked sensors like on the RX100m4 are the next thing. Sony even demonstrated a curved sensor to address this very issue in addition to the normal fallout which we still get in the mirror era. Better yet, with a curved sensor you also will get rid of field curvature in some lenses

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2279255612/sony-s-curved-sensors-may-allow-for-simpler-lenses-and-better-images

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
psolberg said:
Why stop at BSI. That has been done. Stacked sensors like on the RX100m4 are the next thing. Sony even demonstrated a curved sensor to address this very issue in addition to the normal fallout which we still get in the mirror era. Better yet, with a curved sensor you also will get rid of field curvature in some lenses

Get rid of it for some lenses that have it...introduce it to lenses that don't. Seems interesting for a fixed-lens camera, not an ILC.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
psolberg said:

Get rid of it for some lenses that have it...introduce it to lenses that don't. Seems interesting for a fixed-lens camera, not an ILC.

If you design your entire system around a curved sensor, it doesn't matter. Lenses get refreshed. nothing really lasts more than 10 years. It would be perfectly viable for manufacturers to do this even on existing lenses: increase the DOF enough and the curvature dissapears, but you still retain the benefits of the angle at which the photon hits the photosite. Sony will do this. watch it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
psolberg said:
If you design your entire system around a curved sensor, it doesn't matter. Lenses get refreshed. nothing really lasts more than 10 years. It would be perfectly viable for manufacturers to do this even on existing lenses: increase the DOF enough and the curvature dissapears, but you still retain the benefits of the angle at which the photon hits the photosite. Sony will do this. watch it.

Sure, let's rely on Sony to build a stable of lenses. They've got a great track record there. You're probably right about them doing it, though...throwing lots of different crap products at the wall to see what sticks.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
psolberg said:

Sure, let's rely on Sony to build a stable of lenses. They've got a great track record there. You're probably right about them doing it, though...throwing lots of different crap products at the wall to see what sticks.

regardless: sony sensors are used everywhere. If they market this new curved CMOS, it will find its way to other lens systems. It may very well become the way all sensors are designed given they give sony won't be the only one seeking to push the bounds. They are just the leaders. There are bound to be followers catching up.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
psolberg said:
regardless: sony sensors are used everywhere. If they market this new curved CMOS, it will find its way to other lens systems. It may very well become the way all sensors are designed given they give sony won't be the only one seeking to push the bounds. They are just the leaders. There are bound to be followers catching up.

Indeed, just like Nikon is a follower catching up by incorporating fluorite elements into their telephoto lenses...only a few decades after Canon led the way.

Upvote 0