Canon back to the drawingboard or is there still hope?

The industry has been shocked by the new A7(R)II series. Hasselblad and Nikon will adopt the new sensor, but what will be the answer from Canon?

- Back to the drawingboard? (Time issue)
- Not impressed, and release the new 5D(x)/1D(x) this year instead of 2016 (Otherwise Canon may/can/will lose some customers)
- Adopt the sensor and play the same game with Hasselblad and/or Nikon?
- Already lost this round

Anyway, Sony slapped the others in the face... :eek: David vs Goliath anyone?

Oct 26, 2013
Hope for what? Since Canon cameras already take excellent photos, are very reliable, have excellent ergonomics and a lens lineup that is equal or better than anyone else, I don't think they need to do anything special. Will they lose the gear-head demographic? Perhaps. And that would be a good thing if those folks move on to the Sony forums and let Canon users enjoy their cameras and the fine photos that they take.

Upvote 0
No one has slapped anyone in the face. That's just plain silly.

Sony is offering nice new options for anyone interested in making good pictures. There is no way that is a threat to any company.

The more good photography equipment there is, the more people will find satisfaction in making pictures -- and that's good for everyone, Sony AND Canon included.

This is the best of times to be a photographer!

Upvote 0
Here's a look at how the game-changing world-beating A7II compared with the Nikon D750:
http://www.soundimageplus.com/soundimageplus/2015/6/14/sony-a7-ii-compared-to-nikon-d750
The author was not impressed, finding it worse in almost every way. Decided to keep his D750 and sell the A7II. Let's hope the A7RII is better.

Thank goodness Canon doesn't have to go back to the drawing board on things like:
24-70/2.8 ... Sony doesn't make one for their FE mount;
24-70/4 ... Sony's has a crazy amount of distortion like a cheap lens (but it's $1,200);
70-200/2.8 ... Sony doesn't make one for their FE mount;
70-200/4 ... Sony's is heavier than Canon's;
85/1.8 ... Zeiss's has a crazy amount of distortion like a cheap leans (but it's $1,200), while Canon's is about $350 and has almost no distortion.
Etc., etc.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
zlatko said:
Here's a look at how the game-changing world-beating A7II compared with the Nikon D750:
http://www.soundimageplus.com/soundimageplus/2015/6/14/sony-a7-ii-compared-to-nikon-d750
The author was not impressed, finding it worse in almost every way. Decided to keep his D750 and sell the A7II. Let's hope the A7RII is better.

So, if I understand it, a fan boy got in a a7II so he could "slap it down" and reinforce his belief in Nikon?

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
zlatko said:

So, if I understand it, a fan boy got in a a7II so he could "slap it down" and reinforce his belief in Nikon?

Not exactly. It's a rather practical comparison. Apparently you disagree.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
Tugela said:
zlatko said:

You know a "review" is disingenuous when it starts off by attaching a battery grip and a huge Nikon lens on the Sony to kill off the size and weight advantage for Sony to begin the article. Ever heard of carrying an extra (small) battery for Sony? What about the nice and small native Sony/Fe lens like FE55 f/1.8 and FE35 f/2.8?

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Tugela said:
zlatko said:

Apparently anyone who disagrees with the idea that the Sony A7 cameras are better than all of the competition are reduced to being "fan boys." That's an open-minded attitude! Having bought an A7 II to replace my Canon 6D, I too was very interested in how they compare. Of course, since I actually took photos and ignored the internet test sites, my conclusions are clearly flawed and nothing but the opinion of a Canon fan boy. But the Sony was returned. If it had taken pics that were the equal to the Canon's, then I would have kept the Sony and sold the Canon since I was really looking for a smaller, lighter camera. But - to my eye (which is the only eye that counts when you are choosing your camera) - the Canon took the better pics. Even though I prefer an OVF, if the Sony pics were the equal of the Canon's I still would have chosen the Sony, but they weren't. And since I do prefer the OVF, and since the kit lens of the Sony was very poor, the choice was actually pretty easy.

So, I think there is still some hope for Canon.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
dak723 said:
Having bought an A7 II to replace my Canon 6D, I too was very interested in how they compare...But the Sony was returned. If it had taken pics that were the equal to the Canon's, then I would have kept the Sony and sold the Canon since I was really looking for a smaller, lighter camera. ..and since the kit lens of the Sony was very poor, the choice was actually pretty easy.

Many of us are still hanging around here at CR hoping (for Years) that Canon once again becomes industry-leading in sensor technology because we do love the Canon lenses, ergonomics, availability of tons of professional/lighting products, and the far superior customer service department.

Just like you, I bought a Sony A7r for its portability and DR to see if it could replace my Canon 5D III. I still have both... Both take great photos, and each does certain things better than the other. IME, one needs to be very careful when comparing Sony to Canon to have a fair fight.

Firstly, the Sony kit lens, as you said, is so-so, so one needs to employee at least the FE 55mm or 35mm to comparable Canon lenses. Same goes for AF speed.

Secondly, the two systems' default color presentation is very different, so to compare, one needs to equalize the color for both before comparing other aspects such as DR, noise because otherwise, one's color preference will bias you too much. I use Xrite products to color profile both.

I actually hope the new Sony BSI sensor isn't materially better for my shooting requirements because I'd rather keep using my 5DIII and A7r instead of wanting a $3200 body, not to mention the high-priced Sony/Zeiss native lenses.

Upvote 0
Oh there's still hope, alright.

Look at any press pack containing purely professional photographers.. see many red rings and white lenses?

Look at almost every tv crew doing documentary work.. see many c300's?

Yes. There is still hope.

Canon are doing very well at making good solid gear that folk need just now.

Remember the mass Sony CCD failure? I had canon products that failed, KonicaMinolta products that failed and even, my gosh, Sony products that failed.

Sony do great work. I'm glad there is actually an alternative though. As sony do sometimes get it wrong.

Upvote 0