Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Not gonna happen, but with the high-res body I'd love to see Canon abandon the 2:3 ratio and go 3:4 like MF cameras. Or 4:5 even. That 'full-frame' albatross has nothing to do with anything but maximizing image area on 35mm movie film stock. No film! Be free!
If you want to abandon legacy film formats, why go to the medium format film standard of 3:4? Why not do 16:9, which is what most monitors do today (1080P, 4K, 8K). The world has gone digital, after all!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
I would really love to have a Camera that mixes the EOS R and R6: give it the new sensor tech, IBIS and dual slots, autofocus. Reduce the number of FPS to 8-10 max. FF4k and 1080p 120.
Megapixel count can be in between 20 and 30, just to have a little more room for cropping than 20mp and to enjoy the glorious sharpness of RF lenses a bit more.

Basically what people expected the original R to be, an evolved A7III like camera.

Maybe it’s just me though

As someone who sold their A7III for an R6 I would say the R6 is quite a big upgrade over the A7III in everything aside from megapixels.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Anyone like to setup a table of features/differentiators for each camera (price, mp, fps, max video rate, dual/single card, etc)? By descending price...
R1
R5s
R5
R6
R7? (APS-C?)
R8? full frame
R9? full Frame

I get that an APS-C sensor will be great for birders IF it has a greater pixel density than the R5 ie >17mp. It could be a cut down version of the R5s given the rumour is for >2x R5 ie ~100mp. How that fits into enhanced videography is a good question. It won't be an A7Siii competitor in that case.
The smaller sensor should give a cost benefit but that would fit into a lower end version to replace the M system. Ideally, the M5ii's 32mp sensor put into a RF mount would be a good match but that doesn't fit the full frame rumour.

I think that a full frame entry level will be a great second body for R5/R6 etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not gonna happen, but with the high-res body I'd love to see Canon abandon the 2:3 ratio and go 3:4 like MF cameras. Or 4:5 even. That 'full-frame' albatross has nothing to do with anything but maximizing image area on 35mm movie film stock. No film! Be free!
Video is now an essential feature so this is the opposite to the ratios you mention with 16:9 etc being needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
Anyone like to setup a table of features/differentiators for each camera (price, mp, fps, max video rate, dual/single card, etc)? By descending price...
R1
R5s
R5
R6
R7? (APS-C?)
R8? full frame
R9? full Frame

I get that an APS-C sensor will be great for birders IF it has a greater pixel density than the R5 ie >17mp. It could be a cut down version of the R5s given the rumour is for >2x R5 ie ~100mp. How that fits into enhanced videography is a good question. It won't be an A7Siii competitor in that case.
The smaller sensor should give a cost benefit but that would fit into a lower end version to replace the M system. Ideally, the M5ii's 32mp sensor put into a RF mount would be a good match but that doesn't fit the full frame rumour.

How's this for a summary

R1 - the badass
R5s - more megapixels than you know what to do with
R5 - the durable all rounder
R6 - the less durable all rounder with a few detuned features that will leave you wanting the badass or the all rounder
R7? (APS-C?) - the badass's mini me
R8? full frame - slower than the R6, most of the features
R9? full Frame - bare bones, slow, but still great image quality

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Video is now an essential feature so this is the opposite to the ratios you mention with 16:9 etc being needed.
I said "high-res body". A 100MP sensor doesn't make any sense for video does it? I also said "I'd love to see..." I'm not even TRYING to satisfy the blog-o-masses.

Upvote 0
It's not just that. People also shoot APS-C because it's a lighter kit, and it's cheaper. That's also why some use micro 4/3, for an even more dramatic benefit than APS-C.
With RF mount, it will not necessarily be lighter as the mount is dictating that. The 7D is heavier than the 6D. Yes, the rebels are lighter but that is due to the body construction rather than the sensor size.
A smaller sensor is cheaper but the rumour has a cheaper full frame under the RP which is already the cheapest full frame on the market. A 7D replacement is likely to be as expensive as the R and maybe R6 if the fps/AF/dual cards etc are maintained

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I said "high-res body". A 100MP sensor doesn't make any sense for video does it? I also said "I'd love to see..." I'm not even TRYING to satisfy the blog-o-masses.
Of course it does :)
12k video is 12288 x 6480 ie ~80mp but that is video aspect ratio so 3:2 would be ~100mp stills = perfect!
Is there a market for 12k hybrid cameras? Good question but the Ursa Mini Pro is currently available and the R5 broke new ground to have a 8k hybrid

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It's not just that. People also shoot APS-C because it's a lighter kit, and it's cheaper. That's also why some use micro 4/3, for an even more dramatic benefit than APS-C.
*ahem...great for birders. I think that part wasn't aimed at the smaller lighter crowd....sure, a few are out there but most come from the 7D world, correct me if I'm wrong about that, I'm ok with being wrong.

Upvote 0
*ahem...great for birders. I think that part wasn't aimed at the smaller lighter crowd....sure, a few are out there but most come from the 7D world, correct me if I'm wrong about that, I'm ok with being wrong.

Yeah, although you can make a 400mm work for birds on an APS-C body. Not so much if you're using full frame. I guess what I meant was cheaper and lighter than a 600mm f/4 strapped to an R5. And, consider m4/3. I have an Oly M5 Mark III that I can use to shoot birds with one hand, albeit with not nearly as good IQ. But it's still a ton of fun. And that's really what wildlife photography is all about. At least for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yeah, although you can make a 400mm work for birds on an APS-C body. Not so much if you're using full frame. I guess what I meant was cheaper and lighter than a 600mm f/4 strapped to an R5. And, consider m4/3. I have an Oly M5 Mark III that I can use to shoot birds with one hand, albeit with not nearly as good IQ. But it's still a ton of fun. And that's really what wildlife photography is all about. At least for me.
Ok, but then you added 'fun' which like my Lensbaby use, it kind of throws out the entire point which is great photography and not snapshots or images which require a ton of post. Large glass balances well with a bigger bodies. From my personal experience, when I think of higher end crop Canon use for other than travel, I think of the 7D. Same size as all/most FF bodies. (talking about this sure beats the disgust/anger/anxiety of everything else happening in my country today) Cheers!

Upvote 0
Ok, but then you added 'fun' which like my Lensbaby use, it kind of throws out the entire point which is great photography and not snapshots or images which require a ton of post.

Now hold on. I didn't say smaller systems can't produce "good photography" just because they're fun. I said the ease of use of a small body is fun for me. The idea that "good" photography is dependent on or even related to the system you're using is incredibly silly. To say otherwise would certainly be an insult to the photographer. It's almost irrelevant, actually, beyond any physical limitations like needing a certain focal length. It would be like saying "sorry Michelangelo, you drew that with a pencil instead of painting it with oils. I guess it's not good."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
It won't be lighter. I doubt that there will be RF-S lenses, but could be wrong about that. My 7D and lenses were not much lighter than FF.

Upvote 0