Canon Cannot Keep Screwing It's Customers Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
I bought my 5d3 when it first came out, as my first DSLR, and paid the full price. I'd been waiting to go digital until I could afford a full frame camera. Circumstances meant that this happened just as the 5d3 was released. Do I regret paying the full price? No, it's a brilliant camera (even if I'm still learning how to use it!). I miss the eye-controlled AF of my EOS 30 and EOS 5 film bodies, but, I'm coping! People that may not have been able to afford it when it was released now have the opportunity to buy a great camera for a bit less than I paid for it. So what? I've enjoyed every minute with it and do not feel like I've wasted a penny. Will I be rushing out to buy the 200-400 as soon as it's released? No. I doubt I'll ever buy that monster! Same goes with a lot of the other new lenses. I can wait until the price drops for any of the new lenses I might want... the TSE24 is now starting to look interesting...

If you want the latest/greatest, you'll pay a premium. But I've been using Canon kit for years and it's never seriously let me down yet. I'd rather pay once for decent kit, than pay several times for rubbish...

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

bdunbar79 said:
insanitybeard said:
Canon-F1 said:
bdunbar79 said:
awinphoto said:
Dang them for forcing us into buying their overpriced gear... dang it!!!! (slamming fists on the ground)

Fantastic post!

yeah if your IQ is at 2 digits.....

Your own insight into the matter provided ample evidence that yours is considerably higher...

Fantastic post!
Outstanding!

Upvote 0
In my opinion all Canon products at release date are to much overpriced. After 1-2 years prices become more or less normal, however, still much higher comparing to such companies as Tamron and Sigma. Maybe some time ago Canon and Nikon were only two leading companies in lens production, however, latest test show that Tamron (especially with their SP 24-70 mm 2.8) and Sigma can compete with quality, however, their prices ar much lower.

In my opinion, Canon has a very good and quite loyal custormer base, however, people do not like to be screwed and, if Canon pricing does not change, then they will start loosing to other lens producers. I still have an biased opinion that Canon and Nikon cameras are the best, however, Sony, FujiFilm and other manufacturers are trying to change that concept in people's minds... especially whn mirrorless cameras are becoming more and more popular. Nikon and Canon can not boast having strong positions in this rapidly evolving segment.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
is the tamron 24-70 that people keep mentioning here as an example of how canon overprices its products the same tamron 24-70 that roger cicala documented having its second element fall off? because if it's the same one, I'm perfectly happy to pay for "overpriced" gear that doesn't have glass elements unmounting themselves for no apparent reason.

Upvote 0

jrh

Aug 19, 2012
Mikael Risedal said:
you must start to pay tax like other countries and and not live on borrowed money.
take a look at your debt. (what has this to do with the subject in this thread?)

What country pays a tax and to whom do they pay this to??? Agree with you on the borrowed money part if you are referring to the US. The US is hedging off inflation (among other things), and has been since Greenspan, to the point that within 2-3 years the initial price of the 5D3 at $3499 could seem like a bargain...

Upvote 0
Efka76 said:
In my opinion all Canon products at release date are to much overpriced. After 1-2 years prices become more or less normal, however, still much higher comparing to such companies as Tamron and Sigma. Maybe some time ago Canon and Nikon were only two leading companies in lens production, however, latest test show that Tamron (especially with their SP 24-70 mm 2.8) and Sigma can compete with quality, however, their prices ar much lower.

In my opinion, Canon has a very good and quite loyal custormer base, however, people do not like to be screwed and, if Canon pricing does not change, then they will start loosing to other lens producers. I still have an biased opinion that Canon and Nikon cameras are the best, however, Sony, FujiFilm and other manufacturers are trying to change that concept in people's minds... especially whn mirrorless cameras are becoming more and more popular. Nikon and Canon can not boast having strong positions in this rapidly evolving segment.

Boo hoo. Do you know how much margin they make on Coca-Cola? Beer? Cars? Apple's iPhones & iPads? LEICA???No one's screwing anyone, you have no right to tell me I got screwed by Canon when I bought my 5D3 and my 24-70 Mk II. If you don't want to buy it, don't. Businesses price their products by how people perceive its value, and what quantity they actually want to sell. Supply and Demand.

Upvote 0
H

HawkeyeOC

jondave said:
Efka76 said:

Boo hoo. Do you know how much margin they make on Coca-Cola? Beer? Cars? Apple's iPhones & iPads? LEICA???No one's screwing anyone, you have no right to tell me I got screwed by Canon when I bought my 5D3 and my 24-70 Mk II. If you don't want to buy it, don't. Businesses price their products by how people perceive its value, and what quantity they actually want to sell. Supply and Demand.

Finally Apple was brought up. There is a company that typically prices its products the same from day 1 of it's product life cycle all the way to the end, so the perceived screwing comes on the back end when the tech is older and outdated.
So, it could be worse.

I bought a 6D early in its life cycle. I know full well the camera will be cheeper later. It will get its use as it depreciates. I will have no regrets ;D

Upvote 0
Efka76 said:

If you don't mind buying technology nearing the end of it's life cycle, then wait the 2 years when the price is right for YOU.
I would never put a Tamron or Sigma lens in front of the cameras I use.
It's mind boggling to read the whining of non professionals, likely taking several hundred to a couple thousand photos a year, who feel they must have or deserve to have the top of the line pro camera bodies...then incessantly complain about the price. The price of the 1DX hasn't budged since its launch and Canons retail price for the 5DIII hasn't changed either, but they are offering a $200 rebate.

Upvote 0
DB said:
Misinformation is worse!

US growth? Average real GDP growth per capita over the last deacde: USA +0.6% ITALY +0.5% !!!

And that is after you allow for the Mickey Mouse (Implicit Price Deflator of GDP) inflation index that Politicians use to make growth look better than it really is (instead of using proper inflation rate like CPI-U Urban All-Consumers in the United States).... what happens when real inflation is 2% or 3% but government statisticians assume that it is just +0.8%? They can make 0.5% economic expansion appear to be 2%

...and all of this despite Helicopter Ben

I'd suggest you go take a look at the US Bureau of Census and see how many million migrants are entering the US each year and how rapidly the population is growing (a lot faster than your recovery figures)

So you are blaming our GDP per capita growth on an influx of poor immigrants? How is that a criticism of our fiscal/monetary policy? You basically just defeated your own argument with your statistics.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/austerity-and-growth/

Read it and weep. Then go back to econ 101 and learn something.

Upvote 0
Mikael Risedal said:
jrh said:
Mikael Risedal said:
you must start to pay tax like other countries and and not live on borrowed money.
take a look at your debt. (what has this to do with the subject in this thread?)

What country pays a tax and to whom do they pay this to??? Agree with you on the borrowed money part if you are referring to the US. The US is hedging off inflation (among other things), and has been since Greenspan, to the point that within 2-3 years the initial price of the 5D3 at $3499 could seem like a bargain...
I think you understand what I meant, another words maybe can cause even more problems for you, solidarity, free health care, free schools/universities. fair society , stop freeload on the earth's resources ,Kyoto Protocol, live over the assets etc etc etc . Have a nice day and take some nice pictures.

Since we are getting political...I don't disagree. In the U.S. 25% of all corporations with 500+ employees pay $ZERO in taxes. I would like to know when this became acceptable.

Upvote 0
A bit of exchange rate info:

1 € was in average 102.6 JPY in 2012. 2013 YTD average is 114.7 which is app 11% higher.
1 US$ was in average 79.8 JPY in 2012. 2013 YTD average is 87.4 which is app 9.5% higher.
1 £ was in average 126.5 JPY in 2012 and 2013 YTD average is 141 which, again, is app 11% higher (http://www.oanda.com/currency/average)

If the trend holds, do we see the Canon prices drop or remain at the same levels? Any experiences from the past?

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.