Canon celebrates 15th consecutive year of No. 1 share of global interchangeable-lens digital camera

HTML:
What more can be said about this? No great surprise really.  This year they held nearly half of the entire market.  It’s basically a monopoly right now.</p>
<p>TOKYO, March 28, 2018—Canon Inc. has announced today that the Company’s interchangeable-lens digital cameras (digital SLR and compact-system cameras) have maintained the No. 1 share of the global market for 15 consecutive years<sup>1</sup> from 2003 to 2017.</p>
<div class="col-md-12 col-sm-12 col-xs-12">
<p>Canon develops the key components featured in its interchangeable-lens cameras—CMOS image sensors, image processors and interchangeable lenses—in the pursuit of “Speed, Comfort and High Image Quality, the core concept of the EOS series.” The Company effectively responds to the needs of a wide range of users through its extensive lineup of cameras catering to all levels of photography from beginner to professional and a total<sup>2</sup> of 93 EF series interchangeable lenses.</p>
</div>
<p>In 2003, the dawn of digital SLR cameras, Canon introduced its breakthrough EOS Kiss Digital (EOS Digital Rebel or EOS 300D Digital in other regions). This groundbreaking camera, which was competitively priced and featured a compact, lightweight design, captured the top share of the global market and set the stage for growth in the digital SLR market. Since that time, Canon has continued to launch a range of groundbreaking products, including the professional-model EOS-1D series and the EOS 5D series, which paved the way for digital SLR video recording. The Company has further bolstered the EOS lineup by continuing to introduce new products including accessories, interchangeable lenses and the EOS M series of compact-system cameras. During 2017, Canon introduced the EOS 6D Mark II as part of an impressive lineup of interchangeable-lens camera products<sup>3</sup> that supported the Company’s achievement of a 15th consecutive year at the top of the global market.</p>
</div>
<p>Canon will continue to refine its diverse imaging technologies based on its core optical technology, combining still-image, video and network capabilities to expand and create an even stronger EOS System that meets the needs of increasingly diverse users to promote the spread of photo and video culture. What’s more, thanks to advances in imaging technology, Canon is opening up new expressive avenues, where texture, three-dimensionality and a sense of realism can be recreated in both still images and videos, to support appealing imaging experiences.</p>
</div>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Re: Canon celebrates 15th consecutive year of No. 1 share of global interchangeable-lens digital cam

Less than half! Clearly Canon is doomed.

They are going the way of Kodak and Blackberry. If they don't release a full frame mirrorless camera immediately, Sony is going to drive them out of business. The Nikon D500 is so superior, no wonder Canon is losing sales. They have been holding back on 4K, so it's no wonder they are dropping like a rock. Sigma is beating them with their Art lenses.

Have I missed anything?

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Re: Canon celebrates 15th consecutive year of No. 1 share of global interchangeable-lens digital cam

Nicely done.

Though frankly, whether they're #1 or #3 hardly matters to me -- the Canon system is a country mile ahead of the competition when it comes to being the most reliable, no-nonsense tools for photography in my book, so they will continue to receive my dollars.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

inconceivable_princess_bride.gif

Upvote 0

faz

Mar 11, 2015

unfocused said:

They are going the way of Kodak and Blackberry. If they don't release a full frame mirrorless camera immediately, Sony is going to drive them out of business. The Nikon D500 is so superior, no wonder Canon is losing sales. They have been holding back on 4K, so it's no wonder they are dropping like a rock. Sigma is beating them with their Art lenses.

Have I missed anything?

Agree Bro and that is what happened when you release too MANY of the Cameras and end up like this ..

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

faz said:
unfocused said:

Have I missed anything?

Agree Bro and that is what happened when you release too MANY of the Cameras and end up like this ..

Thanks! I forgot that one.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015

Hardly a "monopoly" as the Canonrumors guy stated. Very well done to Canon and the comparisons to Nokia (as most here know) are way off base. A Nokia situation would require a revolutionary product being developed, something like a compact camera doing EVERYTHING that a high end DSLR and a mirrorless and all Canon lenses and flashes can do in one small gadget. If that comes out I'll sell my Canon stock. Mirrorless is a minor evolution not a revolution in photography.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

By Q2 of next year Sony will drive Canon out of business. That's the prediction I pulled out of my... Everybody I know, Jim from down the street, is switching to Sony.

Attachments

• doomed.jpg
    doomed.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 910
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

faz said:
unfocused said:

Have I missed anything?

I think he was being sarcastic.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

Canon, you need a strategy to deal with this crisis! Let me help you with all the things I have learned from the internet....

First and foremost, change your ergonomics. You have too many buttons and dials, these can be replaced by menus.... and make sure that you have to go at least five levels deep into the menus, as that will impress the users with how complex your camera is.

Stop making the cameras easy to hold. You need to make them as small as possible, and mash the buttons in closer so that the user can push several at the same time.

You need more video features, because if there is anything stills shooters want, it is esoteric video functions..... and while we are at it, a magic codec would help.... in fact, just last week I saw crowds of irate stills photographers protesting in front of the local camera store, demanding a 12 bit codec supporting 6K video at 120 frames per second with zebras and finches....

You need a new mount! If you force everyone to get rid of their lenses, then they will be happy because they have all new gear....

Read this forum and make sure your cameras are consistent with all the user demands, particularly the demands which conflict with the other demands....

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

Don Haines said:
Canon, you need a strategy to deal with this crisis! Let me help you with all the things I have learned from the internet....

First and foremost, change your ergonomics. You have too many buttons and dials, these can be replaced by menus.... and make sure that you have to go at least five levels deep into the menus, as that will impress the users with how complex your camera is.

Stop making the cameras easy to hold. You need to make them as small as possible, and mash the buttons in closer so that the user can push several at the same time.

You need more video features, because if there is anything stills shooters want, it is esoteric video functions..... and while we are at it, a magic codec would help.... in fact, just last week I saw crowds of irate stills photographers protesting in front of the local camera store, demanding a 12 bit codec supporting 6K video at 120 frames per second with zebras and finches....

You need a new mount! If you force everyone to get rid of their lenses, then they will be happy because they have all new gear....

Read this forum and make sure your cameras are consistent with all the user demands, particularly the demands which conflict with the other demands....

Almost! You forgot...

People don't want a camera they can just pick up and shoot. That's just too boring. Everyone should need to spend at least a week to reconfigure their camera so that it's usable.

Also, make sure to make configuration a question of compromises: take the buttons you know people need rapidly accessible, reduce it by one, and then let people pick how to reconfigure the others so that they can have everything they need, minus one. This lets the us forum users incessantly brag about how OUR configuration is the best, instead of being so boring as to just give us buttons for everything we need.

And finally, please release a new flagship camera body every 18 months because we want to keep youtube reviewers in business.

Upvote 0