Canon Celebrates Significant Milestone with Production of 150 Million Interchangeable RF And EF Lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
All Canon seems to do is sell stuff, now surpassing 150 million lenses produced. It has taken Canon about 2 years since reaching the 140 million lens milestone. The addition of the RF lineup is going to keep that number climbing for the foreseeable future.

Press Release
MELVILLE, NY, February 3, 2021– Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today that its parent company, Canon Inc., reached a new lens-manufacturing milestone with the production in January 2021, of the Company’s 150-millionth RF and EF series interchangeable lens for EOS cameras1— an RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM telephoto zoom lens (released in November 2019).
Production of interchangeable EF lenses for Canon EOS-series AF (Autofocus) single-lens reflex film cameras began in 1987 at the Company’s Utsunomiya Plant. Over the years, EF lenses have gained support from a wide range of users and production has since expanded to a total of four manufacturing bases, including Canon Inc...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mar 26, 2014
Not to diminish from the significant achievement here, but with respect to 28-70 being the first standard zoom lens with an aperture of f/2 through the zoom range, didn't the Sigma 24-35 f/2 get released first? Or is that considered a non-standard zoom I guess?

My guess is they've meant normal, in contrast to wide.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Not to diminish from the significant achievement here, but with respect to 28-70 being the first standard zoom lens with an aperture of f/2 through the zoom range, didn't the Sigma 24-35 f/2 get released first? Or is that considered a non-standard zoom I guess?

Still though, 150M is pretty impressive.
Sigma was too short to consider standard.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0