Canon Dominates Sidelines at Super Bowl LI

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<b>MELVILLE, N.Y., February 7, 2017</b> – On February 5<sup>th</sup>, top sports photographers from across the country gathered in Houston to cover the Big Game between the teams from New England and Atlanta. With an estimated 75 percent* of the photographers in the Houston stadium using Canon EOS DSLR cameras and EF lenses, Canon’s iconic white lenses filled the sidelines from the opening kickoff to the final whistle. In addition to the EOS DSLR cameras and EF lenses on the sidelines, Canon’s line of HD broadcast lenses were also used extensively to help deliver the game to more than 110 million television viewers.</p>
<p dir="ltr"><!--more--></p>
<p>“It’s an honor to see yet another major sporting event where the country’s most talented and acclaimed sports photographers captured exciting moments with Canon equipment. These images will be seen by millions of people around the world and will forever be etched in sports history. We understand there are many equipment options for professional photographers and Canon is honored to serve these professionals and provide assurances that both our products and support live up to the requirements and expectations of our devoted customers,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc.</p>
<p>A full complement of friendly and knowledgeable staff from the Canon Professional Services (CPS) team, a fixture at major sporting events throughout the year, were on site at the stadium for most of the week leading up to game day providing comprehensive equipment maintenance, extensive equipment loans and expert technical support to the major photo agencies and individual professional (or media) photographers covering the game.</p>
<p>For veteran sports photographer and Canon Explorer of Light Damian Strohmeyer, this was his 30th time covering the big game as a professional, and he was well stocked with Canon cameras and lenses. “Leading up to the game, I always make sure to meet with the Canon Professional Services team to run through my settings and firmware, and ensure that my gear is as ready for the big game as the players are,” Strohmeyer said. “During the game, there’s so much action that you can’t be worried about how your equipment will perform. Depending on where the play is, I need to stay prepared for anything that may happen, with no time to switch lenses. For this reason, I used three EOS-1D X Mark II cameras, equipped with EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, and EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lenses. After the game, I switched to an EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM wide angle lens for post-game reaction shots. Everything performed fabulously, and my images came out looking great!”</p>
<p>Canon Professional Services will be proudly attending to professional photographers at over 30 events this year including major sporting, auto racing, Hollywood, and political events throughout the year.</p>
<p>For more information about CPS: <a href="http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/" target="_blank"><b>http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/</b></a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jan 29, 2011
Re: Canon EOS DSLR Cameras and EF Lenses Touch Down on the Sidelines of the Big Game in Houston

Don't you just love the way that because Canon didn't pay the NFL they are not allowed to use the words 'Super Bowl', 'Falcons' or 'Patriots'?

Oh the verbal contortions we live in these days of trademarks, copyrights, political correctness etc.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Curious: I recognize the A7 platform isn't spec'd to cover sports, but someday it will be. Will Canon still be able to make these claims (like they do at the WC, SB, Olympics, etc.) solely looking at lens color in wide shots? Sony sells white superteles and a future high fps a7 platform offering could adapt Canon's glass as well.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
eosuser1234 said:
Do pros use a 7Dm2 for extra reach with the APS-C sensor?

Or does everyone get 500-600mm lens for the big game.

I'm no sports photog, but I believe it highly depends on your assignment/placement on the field. If you are in the end zone, it's usually one long lens and a 2nd body with something for closer action (I constantly see a 70-200 2.8 over their shoulders). Other sports with a static target (like a soccer goal in particular) often have UWA zooms behind that target on a remote trigger.

But that one long lens varies from what I've seen and it's not always a 500/600 -- some folks choose f/2.8 glass while for others I assume 500/600 would actually be too long for the shot. Watching sports on TV I always keep an eye out for the photographers -- for (American) football I've seen 400 f/2.8, 200-400 f/4L 1.4x, 300 f/2.8, even the 200 f/2, etc. depending on where you are are relative to the action.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
eosuser1234 said:

I'm no sports photog, but I believe it highly depends on your assignment/placement on the field. If you are in the end zone, it's usually one long lens and a 2nd body with something for closer action (I constantly see a 70-200 2.8 over their shoulders). Other sports with a static target (like a soccer goal in particular) often have UWA zooms behind that target on a remote trigger.

But that one long lens varies from what I've seen and it's not always a 500/600 -- some folks choose f/2.8 glass while for others I assume 500/600 would actually be too long for the shot. Watching sports on TV I always keep an eye out for the photographers -- for (American) football I've seen 400 f/2.8, 200-400 f/4L 1.4x, 300 f/2.8, even the 200 f/2, etc. depending on where you are are relative to the action.

- A

If I were sending photogs to the superbowl, I'd probably send them in pairs: one to cover the long, one to cover the short focal lengths. There's probably not even enough time to change cameras during a play.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Etienne said:
If I were sending photogs to the superbowl, I'd probably send them in pairs: one to cover the long, one to cover the short focal lengths. There's probably not even enough time to change cameras during a play.

I highly doubt they change bodies during a play, but in some sports (American football for sure), the mass of players shift their location on a fairly static play by play basis that allows photographers to swap bodies when they are closer to them on the field. If they are on the opposite 20 yard line, go long. When they are on your goal line, a 24-70 or 70-200 would be in order.

For more fluid / continuous sports (soccer / basketball / hockey), I have no idea what the thought process is because your range to target would be constantly changing. Perhaps zooms make more sense in those applications.

(Any sports folks reading this? Please educate us!)

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Etienne said:

I highly doubt they change bodies during a play, but in some sports (American football for sure), the mass of players shift their location on a fairly static play by play basis that allows photographers to swap bodies when they are closer to them on the field. If they are on the opposite 20 yard line, go long. When they are on your goal line, a 24-70 or 70-200 would be in order.

For more fluid / continuous sports (soccer / basketball / hockey), I have no idea what the thought process is because your range to target would be constantly changing. Perhaps zooms make more sense in those applications.

(Any sports folks reading this? Please educate us!)

- A

Agreed. For the most part it's probably more like baseball, where you can setup a shot on a "fixed" target depending on your position, i.e. being near the line scrimmage allows for setting up a QB/line/RB capture similar to a pitcher delivering a pitch or a batter mid swing.

Fluid sports like hockey are tough, you see more faceoff/goalie shots, when photographers setup in the corner with the hole in the glass it's shoot and pray.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
eosuser1234 said:

No, if you are getting paid to deliver, you can afford a 1 series camera, or rent one. The 7D is a enthusiast camera that can be used for sports by pros, but pros use a standard 400mm f/2.8 for football, and the 24-70mm for close shots. I did see a 7D MK II one time at a College game, and then, I saw it was a student or staff member for the team.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
eosuser1234 said:

No, if you are getting paid to deliver, you can afford a 1 series camera, or rent one. The 7D is a enthusiast camera that can be used for sports by pros, but pros use a standard 400mm f/2.8 for football, and the 24-70mm for close shots. I did see a 7D MK II one time at a College game, and then, I saw it was a student or staff member for the team.

CPS were there, though not an official sponsor so they can't use the words. If you are an accredited photographer you get unlimited use of any gear they have so I'd be very surprised if there was a 7D MkII out there.

In the past they have been very keen to loan Nikon shooters top of the line Canon gear, literally if you go into the CPS tents with a photo pass you can borrow anything.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Cali Capture said:
Notice a lot of f/4.0 200-400mm lenses. That ability to flip focal lengths is worth the extra weight, and loss of a stop. Imagine there's enough lite and Canon'e anti flicker bodies make it workable, even under lights.

I see a lot of those in the picture too. I think it would be a great lens for football. During the game I was more focused on the photographers than the players, unfortunately they hardly ever showed the photographers so I couldn't see the lenses.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
Curious: I recognize the A7 platform isn't spec'd to cover sports, but someday it will be. Will Canon still be able to make these claims (like they do at the WC, SB, Olympics, etc.) solely looking at lens color in wide shots? Sony sells white superteles and a future high fps a7 platform offering could adapt Canon's glass as well.

- A

highly unlikely. CPS and NPS are the real drivers here, they have inventory assets built up over years.

Sony's "pro" services doesn't even stock it's own lenses, they sub contract that out to lens rentals and the call center is only 9 to 5 monday through friday. Can't see either working out there.

and then you have ...

a A mount 500mm is 13,000 - a canon 500mm is 9,000. you almost get a free 1DX Mark II for the same price of a Sony A mount 500.

then you have the fact they don't have a 600, 800, 200-400, PRO support, other pro services,etc...

Upvote 0
eosuser1234 said:

Only the "Pro's" that showed up thinking they were shooting birds and would have to crop, once they found out the Falcon's were a football team they realized they made the mistake of bringing the wrong gear.

The "Pro's" that came to shoot a football game had the proper gear so they wouldn't have to crop.

FYI, since the release of the 5Ds R using the words "extra reach" just indicates someone is misinformed.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
eosuser1234 said:

There is no extra reach, just a narrower field of view. The subject is not larger.

Both 7D2 and 1Dx 2 have 20 Mpixels. Narrower field of view = extra reach ... subject is covered with more pixels, and so the subject is "larger"

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
CanonFanBoy said:
eosuser1234 said:

There is no extra reach, just a narrower field of view. The subject is not larger.

Both 7D2 and 1Dx 2 have 20 Mpixels. Narrower field of view = extra reach ... subject is covered with more pixels, and so the subject is "larger"

While the football stars on the field seem larger than life, and while they are often larger than the average human male, they do not change size depending on which camera you use.

Upvote 0