Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Random Orbits said:
Badger said:
Thinking of getting this lens primarily for portrait attached to a 6D. It seems a few people are using if for portraits but most of the shots here are macro.
For those of you who own this lens with a FF camera, but aren't using it for portraits, what are you using? I am also at some point planning to get the 85mm but thinking of this one first.

This lens works well for portraits. Before I got a better tripod, the 100L was about as heavy as I could go with the tripod, which was why I used it over the 70-200 II. The bokeh isn't as nice as the 135L, but there is a lot value in being to focus close with the same lens. The max mag. spec for the 135L is low.

Some of the recent portraits I've taken with this lens. I've been using this lens for almost just every type of photography and it never failed me. Just one word of advice... SHARP. Sometimes this is just too sharp for its own good for portraits. Some clients don't want their facial imperfections to show. Luckily, it's easy enough to blur it through pp.

12198903196_6336788e35_c.jpg

12198950216_29ccb35048_c.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 9, 2012
Some of the recent portraits I've taken with this lens. I've been using this lens for almost just every type of photography and it never failed me. Just one word of advice... SHARP. Sometimes this is just too sharp for its own good for portraits. Some clients don't want their facial imperfections to show. Luckily, it's easy enough to blur it through pp.

Thanks for the portraits. I tend to soften faces in PP anyways. I'm sure I won't be disappointed with this lens :)

Upvote 0