Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM + 2x Extender (II or III)

mackguyver said:
Here's a few more from this morning:

St_Marks_NWR_6-29-2014_7863_ID-L.jpg

St_Marks_NWR_6-29-2014_8321_ID-L.jpg

St_Marks_NWR_6-29-2014_7803_ID-L.jpg

Wow! Two amazing shots! The golden light in the feathers the flying egret/heron is magical, and that (snap?)shot of the racoon is fantastic and really shows the bold charme and curiosity of these cute critters!

+ + + + + + + + + + + + +

LJ3Jim said:
New member, first post. I love the 300 II with the 1.4 or 2x extenders. Here are a couple of eagles taken with the 2x iii.

eagleflight.jpg

youngeagle.jpg

Regards, Jim

What a kickstart! Great photos Jim!!!

and really breathtaking shots, Kristian Bell!!!! I had a blast, browsing through your extensive and professional showcase on your FlickR page! Count me a fan!!

krisbell said:
Here are a few of my recent efforts - all shot with 300 II, 2x III and 5D3....

Little Ringed Plover (Charadrius dubius) chick by Kristian Bell, on Flickr

Bee-Eaters by Kristian Bell, on Flickr

Perez Frog by Kristian Bell, on Flickr

Forest lizard (Calotes emma) by Kristian Bell, on Flickr

Hunting Long-Eared Owl by Kristian Bell, on Flickr

Lots of other great photos! Congrats to everyone contributing here! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Dear friends
I'm from Spain and this is my first topic (so, excuse my English).

I'm looking for a lens for surfing photography and I don't know if the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM in combination with a 2x or 1,4x III will be enough.

Also I'm looking the EF 500 F4 IS USM (used).

My usual body is the Eos 5DsR but maybe with a 7D MarkII is a good option with crop factor.

It's not easy to decide. It's a lot of money and I don't know what to do

Thank you everybody for your help! ;)

Upvote 0
Napalm said:
Dear friends

I'm looking for a lens for surfing photography and I don't know if the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM in combination with a 2x or 1,4x III will be enough.

My usual body is the Eos 5DsR but maybe with a 7D MarkII is a good option with crop factor.

The 5Ds R IQ cropped is about equal to the 7D Mark II, I have been hard pressed to see any difference and I own both. That said the word "crop factor" is meaningless in this comparison. Just use the 5Ds R in crop mode if that is the framing you want. The reason to go with the 7D Mark II in your situation is frame rate, and that might be a very good reason.

I owned the 500mm F/4 and recently upgrade to version II. The improvement in image quality was marginal. The biggest difference is weight and image stabilization. I would imagine that IS wouldn't matter to you and you would most likely be shooting at higher shutter speeds or on a tripod.

Personally between the 300mm f/2.8K II with a 1.4x II or the 500mm F/4 IS II would take which ever gives you the proper framing without the extender. Here in the US I can buy the 500mm used today for $4K us, the 300mm new is $6K and used 5K. So it is a cheaper option as well.

Upvote 0
takesome1 said:
Napalm said:
Dear friends

The 5Ds R IQ cropped is about equal to the 7D Mark II, I have been hard pressed to see any difference and I own both. That said the word "crop factor" is meaningless in this comparison. Just use the 5Ds R in crop mode if that is the framing you want. The reason to go with the 7D Mark II in your situation is frame rate, and that might be a very good reason.

I owned the 500mm F/4 and recently upgrade to version II. The improvement in image quality was marginal. The biggest difference is weight and image stabilization. I would imagine that IS wouldn't matter to you and you would most likely be shooting at higher shutter speeds or on a tripod.

Personally between the 300mm f/2.8K II with a 1.4x II or the 500mm F/4 IS II would take which ever gives you the proper framing without the extender. Here in the US I can buy the 500mm used today for $4K us, the 300mm new is $6K and used 5K. So it is a cheaper option as well.

Thanks Takesome1. You're right about the crop factor and the frame rate. I think I will buy the 500L IS USM I. I'll post some photos when I get it :)

Upvote 0