Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM "Pancake"

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Well, this has got to be the quickest announcement->lens gallery thread ever, because I know some of you already have one (myself included).
Unfortunately I only bought it this afternoon after work, it's pitch black outside, so I can't show any photos with it (without taking shots of my messy, messy house), so here's some shots of it.

It really is tiny.

Pictured next to:
The similarly-sized Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x Teleconverter and 12mm extension tube. (for the record I think the rear element might *just* touch the teleconverter, but i'm not going to try it before I've even used it)
The similarly-priced and focal-length EF 50mm f/1.8 II and Asahi Pentax Takumar 50mm f/1.4.
The nothing-similar EF 70-300L and my 'alternative' street-lens Rokinon/Samyang 35 f/1.4.

Attachments

• IMG_6875brgcs1200x300.JPG
    IMG_6875brgcs1200x300.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 6,754
  • IMG_6878brcs1200x600.JPG
    IMG_6878brcs1200x600.JPG
    420.2 KB · Views: 8,342
  • IMG_6882brcs1200x800.JPG
    IMG_6882brcs1200x800.JPG
    629.9 KB · Views: 10,106
Re: 40 Shorty Test Shots

I did a BH preorder the first weekend, haven't heard anything yet. Their Web site still lists it as available for preorder at this moment.

aloper said:
Has anyone received their pre-orders from B+H on the 40mm yet? Based on something I saw in another post, I just searched Best Buy and three stores in my area say they have it in stock...I don't like dealing with BB but I'm tempted to stop by and pick one up and cancel my B+H order...

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Jun 1, 2011

wickidwombat said:
any chance someone can pop an IR filter on one and get saya 3 minute exposure of a park or something with lots of green trees? :D

Any chance of posting me one?

I'll do some better shots tonight, hopefully at iso100, that one was a pre-dawn snapshot this morning, only one of a few had no motion-blur. It was that or be on time for work, so I chose photos :)

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Jun 1, 2011

As promised, here's some Shorty Forty sample shots I took during a quick walk at lunch time today (except the first one, out of the car window on the way to work).
All 7D, Standard Picture Style, 0 Saturation, DPP Batch raw->jpg. No filters or CPL or anything. Some at f/2.8, some 4, some 5.6.
All are Clicky-Linky for Pixel-Peepy.

Just to show some colour.

Sun in the frame, no flare.

Sun just out of the top left of frame, still no flare.

For different colours, sun at my back.

Sun half obscured, still no flare. Bit of a 'sunstar'.

Yes, these are the exact colours of the truck. Standard Picture Style, 0 Saturation, DPP Batch raw->jpg. No filters or CPL or anything. Sun just to my right.

And Jimbo's Big Breakfast for some Background Blur.

Upvote 0