Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM "Pancake"

Jul 21, 2010
Re: 40 Shorty Test Shots

dr croubie said:
I think my construction site was bigger :p
(or at least more expensive, $812 mil for 4km)

That's a bargain! Boston's Big Dig was originally budgeted at $3 billion for about 5 miles / 8 km, ended up finishing 10 years late and $10 billion over budget, and since completion has sprung many leaks that required expensive remediation, parts were paved with temperate-climate concrete which the New England winters have prematurely destroyed, and pieces of the roof have fallen onto passing cars with fatal results. Every day as my electronic account is debited by the turnpike tolls as I drive to work to incrementally reduce the interest on the bonds used to finance the project, I thank the geniuses at Bechtel Engineering for the boondoggle.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

danjryan said:
I'm not sure I believe the third-party sellers who say it is in stock. There's no way Canon would give them stock before Amazon or B&H gets it. More likely, they take your money now and ship it next week when everybody has gotten their allotments.

Some of the 3rd party sellers on Amazon indicate 'in stock, takes 2-3 days to ship' meaning they may not have it but have been told to expect a shipment. B&H indicate that it's expected on Friday. But some retailers do get it ahead of others...for the USA, consider - they are crated and shipped over the Pacific Ocean, so they arrive on the west coast first, so west coast retailers get them while another part of the shipment is on a truck heading for B&H and Adorama on the east coast.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011

wickidwombat said:
looks pretty sharp impressive flare control considering no hood
so do you think it was a worthwhile purchase?
would you bother with this if you were going to get a 35 f1.4L anyway?
or does anyone have both?

Between my EFs 15-85 (slower), Samyang 35/1.4 (wider, fast, no AF), EF 50/1.8 II (longer and faster), Takumar 50/1.4 (longer and faster still, no AF), FL 55/1.2 (even longer and faster, no AF), i'm sure that i didn't *need* it. It's the widest FF lens with AF that i've got, and the af is damn fast with that eye-control 45-pt AF of my EOS 3.

But damn it, after 2 days I love it already. I've been places and pointed the Samyang at people, they always notice it, it's a lot bigger and the front element size is daunting (i've had my own 70-300L+hood pointed at me, even when I knew about it, it was a bit disconcerting having that huge black hole pointing at me).
The 35L is about the same size as the Samyang, so that'd probably freak people out just as much (it's amazing how many people think it's a telephoto before they look at it closely)
Just taking those pics yesterday a few of the construction workers gave a glance, didn't look too freaked out, and got straight back to work...

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
looks pretty sharp impressive flare control considering no hood
so do you think it was a worthwhile purchase?
would you bother with this if you were going to get a 35 f1.4L anyway?
or does anyone have both?

I am surprised how good this lens is. I think it will replace the nifty fifty as best bang for your buck

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011

candyman said:
Right..... :( here in the Netherlands it is offered at 279 euro (354 dollar at 0% interbank rate on June 21st)
http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/product/1656371/canon-ef-40mm-f28-stm.html
Even at FotoK it's at €269, ouch.
They were half the price of anything in australia when i lived in Den Haag just around the corner from them. I got my 70-300L there for €1150 ($1500) when the cheapest in Aus was $1900.
I'm almost glad I moved back to Aus now, looks like I moved at the right time...

Upvote 0
P

PCPhil

I got mine last Saturday and so far very impressed. Easy to pop my camera in my day job bag with no worrying bumps that could be knocked. Posted these on another site for people who were interested. First one is at f11. The next set were at f2.8 to test for vignetting. I really think Canon have got a winner here that could make the name 'shorty forty' almost as annoying as 'nifty fifty' in a few years time :)
No pp, just straight jpegs from RAW.

IMG_3689 by PCPhilpot, on Flickr

IMG_3694 by PCPhilpot, on Flickr

40mm stm f2.8 test3 by PCPhilpot, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Im getting mine tomorrow. As far as Ive checked already it looks like it will be a great lens. Really looking forward to getting it ! :) And ofc Ill post some test images here.

Im getting it for 219 €, but I think its still a reasonable price. Seems that only one eshop/seller got it "in stock" here in Slovakia. Looks like Im gonna be one of fisrt to get it (at least from our slovak eshop) :)

Upvote 0
A

aires

dr croubie said:
candyman said:
Right..... :( here in the Netherlands it is offered at 279 euro (354 dollar at 0% interbank rate on June 21st)
http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/product/1656371/canon-ef-40mm-f28-stm.html
Even at FotoK it's at €269, ouch.
They were half the price of anything in australia when i lived in Den Haag just around the corner from them. I got my 70-300L there for €1150 ($1500) when the cheapest in Aus was $1900.
I'm almost glad I moved back to Aus now, looks like I moved at the right time...

Bought it yesterday in Eindhoven for € 240,-, friend of mine in Utrecht for € 240 too.
MediaMarkt Fotomania, only this week!

Great little lens, think it will replace my voigtlander 40... It's not as tough, but I'm lazy and the autofocus is pretty fast.

Upvote 0

wickidwombat said:
i just got a $50 voucher in the email to use at TEDs on any canon camera or lens but their website doesnt have the shorty 40 for me to see how much they are going to sell it for. might be sweet if i can snag one for $150!

My guess is that it's be around $250 at Ted's. I think I'll buy mine from Leedersville since they were so good to us with the MKIII. Thanks for the heads up wicki.

Upvote 0

Hello,

Got my '40 shorty' the other day, not had chance to test it properly other than a quick walk around the place where I work.
So far I've only used it on the 5D, it will go on the 7D next.
I like it, it's small, sharp and damn light.

The shots attached are not very interesting in terms of subject matter. Sorry.

All at f2.8, except the Chemicals on the shelves, that's at f13.

Recommended purchase? Yes!

Attachments

• _MG_9022.jpg
    _MG_9022.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 7,281
  • _MG_9054.jpg
    _MG_9054.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 7,345
  • _MG_9080.jpg
    _MG_9080.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 7,294
  • _MG_9108.jpg