Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS & Three More Lenses Coming at the End of August [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>To further clarify the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/unreleased-canon-gear-has-appeared-for-certification/">certification post from yesterday</a>, we have been told what to expect announcement wise from Canon at the end of August.</p>
<p>Firstly, the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS is scheduled to be announced at this time. We do not have any specifications or pricing at this time.</p>
<p>Secondly, “<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/unreleased-canon-gear-has-appeared-for-certification/">interchangeale lens 2</a>” will actually be three different lenses. We’re working on getting the focal length of the lenses. It doesn’t feel that they’ll be L series lenses and we’re not sure if they’re EF-M, EF-S or EF at this time.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Re: Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS & Three More Lenses Coming at the End of August [CR2]

Thank you for putting so much effort in this site.
But I would not be surprised if the new lens (2) are actually the current ef-m 15-45, 55-200 and 18-150 in white color.
The new Eos M20 will come in different colors as well. I just hope it will have a hotshot like the first Eos M classic.
2017 has been a cheap year for me until now, but I could use a new compact camera.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Re: Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS & Three More Lenses Coming at the End of August [CR2]

Canon Rumors said:
It doesn’t feel that they’ll be L series lenses and we’re not sure if they’re EF-M, EF-S or EF at this time.

definitely not "L" with them being made in Malaysia.

PS my EF-M 18-150mm is made in Malaysia, not sure about any of the new EF-S lenses. the new 18-55 4-5.6 was made in Taiwan as were my other EF-M's.

Odds are it will be a cheaper consumer lens though.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

Personally, I find the 85mm 1.2L II one of the most difficult lenses to hold without shake. It's the shape which makes my hold awkward and balance different than all other lenses.

I hope the shape of the 85 1.4 is a little longer, maybe not so "fat." Certainly IS will be a huge help, but even more so if the ergonomics are better.

Did I miss the memo showing what the new lens actually looks like?

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida

bholliman said:
brad-man said:
Finally! They're going to release the Canon EF-M 12mm f/2, EF-M 32mm f/2 and the EF-M 55mm f/2.8 IS macro :)

I hope you are correct, but I consider it a long shot.

Long indeed. You'll have to forgive me, I smoked a little too much crack before writing that reply...

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague

riker said:
Funny how everyone has already given up on the 50/1.4 :)

I wish for a nextgen 70-200/4 as well as an EF-M version of it.

What's wrong with current 70-200/4? Both non-IS and IS are very sharp and especially IS version is basically sharp as it gets. Their pricing is also not probihitive, considering they're L lenses with amazing build and optical quality. Also EF-M version does not make much sense as dimensions would be very similar to a current lens with EF/EF-M adapter. You can't cheat physics :)

Upvote 0

Khalai

May 13, 2014
Prague

Woody said:
I am still hoping to see EF-S 35 f/1.8 and EF-M 35 f/2 lenses

Indeed. Canon could get inspired at Fuji and along 22/2 lens, there could be 31/2 and 53/2 lenses as well. Canocron lenses ;)

Upvote 0

Khalai

May 13, 2014
Prague

ahsanford said:
My personal votes for the three lenses:

• EF 50mm f/1.4L IS USM

• EF 50mm f/1.4 IS USM

• EF 50mm f/1.4 USM II

- A

And why not EF 50mm f/1.4 IS USM DO Macro 1.4TC while we're at it :-D

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014

Jopa said:
Jokes aside it would be really nice to get a combo 50/1.4 IS and 85/1.4 IS by the end of this year.

I wasn't joking.

My 50mm f/1.4 USM just died, and I'm buying a new one. Would have bought a 50mm f/1.4 IS USM, if Canon actually made one.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

ahsanford said:
YuengLinger said:
Did I miss the memo showing what the new lens actually looks like?

Here you go.

- A

Thanks. I guess I did see this and thought it was an "artist's rendition." Looks better balanced to me.

Also, AHSanford, refresh my memory--would you accept a 50mm 1.2L if it was as quick and otherwise practical as, say, the 35mm 1.4? I guess that extra, what, 1/3 f/stop, adds too much weight and cost?

Can't remember why you seem to oppose 1.2.

Cheers!

Upvote 0