Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM Coming April 5, 2017 [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Canon will announce an EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM on April 5, 2017. What we find unique about this announcement is the “M” in the lens description. We’re not sure what that means…</p>
<p><strong>Here are a couple of ideas off the top of my head:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Macro mode?</li>
<li>EOS M compatible?</li>
<li>Leica made it?</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Here are the best reader ideas:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>From <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=32180.msg655729#msg655729">GHPhotography</a> “<em>Perhaps M is a designator for macro mode with the integrated LED lights from the EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS</em>“</li>
</ul>
<p>What do you think?</p>
<p>Availability and pricing are not known at this time, but we don’t have long to wait.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Re: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM Coming April 5, 2017

Canon Rumors said:
<ul>
<li>Macro mode?</li>
<li>EOS M compatible?</li>
<li>Leica made it?</li>
</ul>

Macro mode? No - it'd have Macro in the name as per all other macro lenses. Also Macro isn't a 'new' feature for EF-S

EOS M compatible? Arent they all with a suitable adaptor?

I wonder if the M is actually an indication of quality, ie the EF-S version of an 'L' lens.

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria

I thought it will be a wideangle lens. 35mm for APS-C is surely not considered wideangle, that's a normal prime!

The M doesn't mean macro I think, it must be something else and new. I'm a bit disappointed about the focal lenght as I thought it would be somewhere around 10-18mm.

I guess I have to order the Samyang 10mm 2.8 again lol. It's OK.

Upvote 0

As someone who currently only has APS-C bodies, and wants a 35mm... Even *I* am not excited by this! I'd rather save a bit longer and get the full-frame compatible EF 35 2.0 IS or the 1.4L (version I's can be found for good prices!)

As a beginner lens, sure, go for it... Which is what it seems Canon thinks of EF-S mount. I feel like Canon will never do another serious EF-S lens like the 17-55 2.8.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2015

Perhaps it is Macro and M compatible. Like some integrated macro tube that can be used for macro on normal DSLR and to get the back focus right on EOS M. They would just have to find a way to make this mountable on both EF-S and EF-M mount.
But I think it is something else really special. Because neither the focal length nor the aperture are special at all. I would have expected the lens to be wider than 17mm to provide something not covered by the 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

Oh, oh, I know -- "Manual focus that won't annoy me" :)

If it's optically excellent like the 1.8STM and efs 10-22, and the price is "cheap", I'll buy it. I like 35mm on crop and the lens will probably be super thin. I mean, not earth shattering stuff here, but, why not?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

GHPhotography said:
Perhaps M is a designator for macro mode with the integrated LED lights from the EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS? This would certainly be a new feature that no other EF-S lenses had and would make it much more interesting for some.

Why invent just another adaptor just for one lens?
They could ship it together with the EOS-M Adapter, when removed it is just a EF-S lens.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

So, the plot thickens. At f/2.8 this is not the fast normal prime everybody hoped for. I guess the closest analogue to this lens in the existing EF selection is the 24mm f/2.8 IS USM - but hopefully this one will be cheaper! There must be some niche Canon is betting on that is not served by the 40mm f/2.8 STM or the 35mm f/2 IS USM - and that mysterious "M" probably has something to do with it. With IS STM, video is one obvious guess.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

Talys said:
Oh, oh, I know -- "Manual focus that won't annoy me" :)

If it's optically excellent like the 1.8STM and efs 10-22, and the price is "cheap", I'll buy it. I like 35mm on crop and the lens will probably be super thin. I mean, not earth shattering stuff here, but, why not?

You'll run into a great deal of interference championing the 50 1.8 and the 10-22 as optically excellent. I would on the other hand just hope it's compact and on par optically with the 24 ef-s and the FF 40.

I would bet the M designation is a non 1:1 Macro. What that ratio might be is anyone's guess.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

jolyonralph said:
The M stands for meh
Have to admit, I agree. Can't understand why Canon would introduce a 56mm equivalent. Between the 24mm EF-S and this one, it's as though someone forgot to tell Canon's lens design department that there is a 1.6 crop factor on EF-S lenses.

A true 24mm equivalent (15mm) would have been interesting. I can't see any circumstance where I would want this lens.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com

Well I thought the lens would be wider for sure. While I love and use 35mm on APS-C. I can still understand why many would rather it been a 30mm. That said. 35mm Macro??????? Seriously??? I have been using a 50mm Macro for some time now and would rather have something 90mm or longer as a macro. Just simply to get really close the lens will dang near touch what ever it is your taking a photo of. Coins, stamps, ya finger.. Whatever.. Its to close. Hard to get light on what ever your photoing even using a macro ring light. 35mm is going to be even worse.. Guess the M does mean "meh"...

I personally would have loved to see a 18 or 20mm f/2.8 STM..

Upvote 0