Canon EOS-1D X Mark III rumoured specifications [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have received our first rumoured specifications for the upcoming Canon EOS-1D X Mark III. Please keep in mind a specification list with a [CR1] rating is coming from an unknown source.
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III specifications (rumoured):

28.1mp full-frame CMOS
Up to 30fps still shooting
Dual DIGIC 9 (This would be the first time the 1D series would introduce a new processor)
IBIS
New and larger rear LCD, the source said it looked brighter too.
February announcement

The source has no knowledge of the video features for the camera. The camera specifications above are for a prototype, and there’s always a possibility that more than one set of specifications are in these prototypes, but if the February announcement timeframe is legit, we should be getting better information soon.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
30 fps still shooting.. how?
With the EVF mode of the OVF or a 2nd EVF "hole" left from the OVF. This might be a good companion to the IBIS function if this ist true!
Maybe IBIS is the reason for the new CPU (maybe with accelerometer and gyro on chip?) and the 28MPix resolution makes sense for a fast camera for professionals who want to transmit their files for newspapers where 12MPix would be enough by far (after cropping ...).

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
"28.1mp full-frame CMOS
Up to 30fps still shooting
Dual DIGIC 9 (This would be the first time the 1D series would introduce a new processor)
IBIS
New and larger rear LCD, the source said it looked brighter too. "

If the AF will get enhanced (my former mkII lacked when something was directly heading toward me), it will be an "no-Brainer".

The only problem will be the decision which wing/feather position the photographed birds will be favourite - if you get 300 shots in 10 seconds...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
My guess is that the 6k video feature (with 30fps) is true. This would mean, they can get 24mpixel jpg stills at 30fps, explaining the 30fps "burst mode" that was mentioned. I dont think they can get 30fps with RAW at that resolution. It would be an incredible jump in sensor readout speed. Remember, the 1DX I had 14 and the 1DX II had 16fps - a jump by 100% sounds unrealistic for me.
I also think that the sensor is going to have 24mpixel so they can get a full-frame 4k raw image with 1 to 1 pixel readout. Thats the same "trick" they use on the 1DX II and 5D IV. They just dont have the processing power to sample a 4k (or even 6k) image from a higher resolution sensor. Thats whay the FHD image of the 5D and 1D (which both use the full sensor in FHD) are so INCREDIBLE bad, while the 4k image is fine.

However, if they provide a decent 6k image in this camera and a better codec than the 1DX II MJPG, than I am sold anyway. And a electronic silent shutter is a must for me. Otherwise its a bad camera for wedding. The 1DX II is incredible loud, even in silent mode in live-view...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
With the EVF mode of the OVF or a 2nd EVF "hole" left from the OVF. This might be a good companion to the IBIS function if this ist true!
Maybe IBIS is the reason for the new CPU (maybe with accelerometer and gyro on chip?) and the 28MPix resolution makes sense for a fast camera for professionals who want to transmit their files for newspapers where 12MPix would be enough by far (after cropping ...).
They do have several different patents for a combined optical and digital viewfinder that switches modes as needed.

I'm not sure if a mechanical shutter could ever do 30fps, but an electronic one certainly could. If that happened, it would certainly be a game changer. To be honest, if the specs are true, I'm not sure how they would do 30fps in a 1dxiii without it, simply because without a movable screen using the lcd display in live view is just that much more difficult.

Upvote 0
there is no reason for Canon not to go 7d3 with 1dx3 specs besides the sensor!
I don't know, but I suspect money could be a reason why they wouldn't do that. The last 1Dx series was 3.5x more expensive on launch that the last 7D series at launch, and I really don't think all that cost is in the sensor. I wonder if Canon thought there wasn't enough daylight between the 7D series and the 1D for the price difference...

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
My guess is that the 6k video feature (with 30fps) is true. This would mean, they can get 24mpixel jpg stills at 30fps, explaining the 30fps "burst mode" that was mentioned. I dont think they can get 30fps with RAW at that resolution. It would be an incredible jump in sensor readout speed. Remember, the 1DX I had 14 and the 1DX II had 16fps - a jump by 100% sounds unrealistic for me.

The M6 Mark II can do a 30 fps RAW burst with servo AF at 18 MP/12-bit—a throughput almost 50% greater than that of the 1D X II! It would be very surprising if the 1D X III won't at least manage to do the same or better.

I also think that the sensor is going to have 24mpixel so they can get a full-frame 4k raw image with 1 to 1 pixel readout. Thats the same "trick" they use on the 1DX II and 5D IV. They just dont have the processing power to sample a 4k (or even 6k) image from a higher resolution sensor.

"DCI 6K" (6144px horizontal resolution) requires at least a 25 MP sensor. 26 MP and 28 MP (with a slight crop) are both reasonable guesses right now. The 90D can do both 6.9K-to-4K and 6K-to-4K downsampling so it would again be very surprising if the 1D X III won't be able to do the same.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
My guess is that the 6k video feature (with 30fps) is true. This would mean, they can get 24mpixel jpg stills at 30fps, explaining the 30fps "burst mode" that was mentioned. I dont think they can get 30fps with RAW at that resolution. It would be an incredible jump in sensor readout speed.
Do you think a camera can read JPEG directly from the sensor?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0