Canon EOS 1DX defective Mirror Boxes - Screen Splash - AF Lock-up

Nov 17, 2011
1dx sucks said:

I guess some people are being passive about this issue. Nobody wants to go through the trouble of sending a new $6700 camera for repairs.

Lesson learned for me: Make sure that I have done my thorough research on a product before buying it. Thank God for internet forums. I could have avoided all these headaches if I have done my research well!
I used Canon Service Center in Irvine, CA(20mins where I live), never have any problem with their services.

1Dx is my 1st 1D series body, so far, it handles all kind of shooting conditions. It's great body when shooting with larger L lenses.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
IgotGASbadDude said:
CanonFanBoy said:
I want a 1Dx so bad I can taste it. It is almost a sin as bad as I want it. If I can ever swing it, I'll get one. This thread doesn't scare me off.

I was in the same boat as you at the end of 2014. Things worked out and I've had my 1DX for 2 months now.

No regrets. No problems. The only bad shots I get are operator error . . .

And I got my baby through a Craigslist transaction. Good luck to you and hopefully we'll see you on the 1DX train soon!

With current price drops, I'm thinking getting 2nd one.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
1dx sucks said:
CanonFanBoy said:
mackguyver said:
privatebydesign said:
1dx sucks said:
Hey thanks! BTW, I got my camera December 2014 and had it exchange for new ones 4X. Two times, for me is ok, but 4x???. Then I got tired of returning defective cameras so I sent the last one for repairs. I got back the camera but the issue still exist. Makes me wonder how those pros take care of those issues. The camera has a huge potential hence I switched from nikon to canon. I guess I will wait until a newer model comes up and hopefully taken care of this issue.

Generally they don't treat them like very expensive toys or jewelery. They are just tools and having dust in the viewfinder isn't an issue for most pros, neither is having spots on the sensor or any number of other 'issues' that keen amateurs and enthusiasts have the time and energy to obsess about. Sure some products in any production run are lemons, but anybody that thinks they got 4 defective products in a row is statistically more likely to win the lottery (though somebody does) or suffers from OCD and doesn't understand these things are just image making tools.
I don't want to dismiss the OP or others who may have legitimate issues, but some people on this and other forums do seem really obsessed about certain problems. I have dust in my viewfinders and lenses, spots on my sensor I and Canon can't seem to clean and my AF doesn't work 100% of the time on every lens, but it doesn't keep me from taking pictures.

Heck, every camera I have ever owned gets dust in the viewfinder. I've always thought this was just the nature of the beast. I mean, how can one keep dust out of a camera that is opened to the elements every time a lens change is performed? I've never sent one in for dust. Never. Oil spots that build up on the sensor would upset me though. I just have not had the problem, but I don't yet own a 1Dx either.

Exchanging a camera that many times in a month? Good Lord! "I got my camera December 2014 and had it exchange for new ones 4X. Two times, for me is ok, but 4x???. Then I got tired of returning defective cameras so I sent the last one for repairs." WHAT?! WHAT?!!!! That just seems too weird to be believable to me.

I want a 1Dx so bad I can taste it. It is almost a sin as bad as I want it. If I can ever swing it, I'll get one. This thread doesn't scare me off. For every one person that has a problem and posts it across multiple websites under different user names (just because different user names for different sites makes sense... not because they are dishonest) there are a thousand more who have not had any trouble at all that never post ANYTHING... good or bad. That doesn't count the outright trolls who get their jollies posting negatively about products they do not even own.

I honestly feel for those having a real problem. However, calling into question the honor and work ethic of the Japanese (somebody did) is just plain hysterical behavior. Heck, at least they still manufacture cameras.

Someone said that they can remember when Japanese products meant quality. Yup, but I am old enough to remember when it meant cheap junk too.

Anyone so disgusted with Canon over this that they are going to switch to another manufacturer surely wouldn't be so unethical as to unload all their Canon "junk" onto some unsuspecting craigslist or ebay buyer would they? Of course not... so just box it all up and send it to me. I'll pay for the postage and you can sleep well at night knowing you didn't charge some poor sap to haul your crap away. Yup, I'll even take those horrible 1Dx's. ;D

4 exchanges since December huh? I just can't get over that one. Twice is okay, but 4 times is too much for anybody. LOLOLOLOLOLOL! I wouldn't sell you a bologna sandwich! You've had 5 (FIVE!) brand spanking new 1Dx cameras in your hands since December. Wow! Your screen name is "1dx sucks". Is that why you joined this forum? To spin that tale?
I am so sorry I might have touched a very sensitive issue and might have hurt your feelings. 1dx sucks but it has huge potentials when the problem has been resolved permanently. The specks I can deal with but the effect it will do eventually. I guess what Im really concern about is that the problem was not really resolved and I am gonna have to keep on sending my camera for repairs just like others and that is not the way it should be for a $6700 camera. I just want to let people know that. I am not saying that I will not buy canon cameras anymore ... just the 1dx. I still have my 5dIII. Who knows the next flagship would be a lot better. It was a horrible experience for me especially when I had to send my last 1 dx for repairs and they said that all was replaced and tested but then the issue still exists. And I am not the only one who had the same experiences with their 1dx getting repaired but the problem still exist after the repairs. I am just being proactive. I guess for those of you whose warranty has expired will have to make the best of it and I hope that this mirror box issue will be resolved once and for all. For me, I still have the option of returning it and wait until a new robust model comes out. Sorry If I came out really harsh.

You didn't hurt my feelings in the least. I just happen to find your story tragically laughable. Five bad cameras in a row in such a short period of time and saying that returning two isn't so bad,,, but four????? It just does not ring true to me at all. Not one bit. I don't believe you. That's all. Choosing that particular screen name, frankly, puts you squarely in the troll category in my estimation of things... coupled with your fantastic story, of course.

Nobody in his right mind would consider returning two 1Dx cameras in such a short period of time as okay. Then saying four times was the last straw just makes me laugh.

I'm sure there are people here having real problems. For them I feel sorry and hope they find resolution to their problems. I just do not believe you are one of them.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
privatebydesign said:
1dx sucks said:
Hey thanks! BTW, I got my camera December 2014 and had it exchange for new ones 4X. Two times, for me is ok, but 4x???. Then I got tired of returning defective cameras so I sent the last one for repairs. I got back the camera but the issue still exist. Makes me wonder how those pros take care of those issues. The camera has a huge potential hence I switched from nikon to canon. I guess I will wait until a newer model comes up and hopefully taken care of this issue.

Generally they don't treat them like very expensive toys or jewelery. They are just tools and having dust in the viewfinder isn't an issue for most pros, neither is having spots on the sensor or any number of other 'issues' that keen amateurs and enthusiasts have the time and energy to obsess about. Sure some products in any production run are lemons, but anybody that thinks they got 4 defective products in a row is statistically more likely to win the lottery (though somebody does) or suffers from OCD and doesn't understand these things are just image making tools.
I don't want to dismiss the OP or others who may have legitimate issues, but some people on this and other forums do seem really obsessed about certain problems. I have dust in my viewfinders and lenses, spots on my sensor I and Canon can't seem to clean and my AF doesn't work 100% of the time on every lens, but it doesn't keep me from taking pictures.
CanonFanBoy said:
1dx sucks said:
CanonFanBoy said:
mackguyver said:
privatebydesign said:
1dx sucks said:

Heck, every camera I have ever owned gets dust in the viewfinder. I've always thought this was just the nature of the beast. I mean, how can one keep dust out of a camera that is opened to the elements every time a lens change is performed? I've never sent one in for dust. Never. Oil spots that build up on the sensor would upset me though. I just have not had the problem, but I don't yet own a 1Dx either.

Exchanging a camera that many times in a month? Good Lord! "I got my camera December 2014 and had it exchange for new ones 4X. Two times, for me is ok, but 4x???. Then I got tired of returning defective cameras so I sent the last one for repairs." WHAT?! WHAT?!!!! That just seems too weird to be believable to me.

I want a 1Dx so bad I can taste it. It is almost a sin as bad as I want it. If I can ever swing it, I'll get one. This thread doesn't scare me off. For every one person that has a problem and posts it across multiple websites under different user names (just because different user names for different sites makes sense... not because they are dishonest) there are a thousand more who have not had any trouble at all that never post ANYTHING... good or bad. That doesn't count the outright trolls who get their jollies posting negatively about products they do not even own.

I honestly feel for those having a real problem. However, calling into question the honor and work ethic of the Japanese (somebody did) is just plain hysterical behavior. Heck, at least they still manufacture cameras.

Someone said that they can remember when Japanese products meant quality. Yup, but I am old enough to remember when it meant cheap junk too.

Anyone so disgusted with Canon over this that they are going to switch to another manufacturer surely wouldn't be so unethical as to unload all their Canon "junk" onto some unsuspecting craigslist or ebay buyer would they? Of course not... so just box it all up and send it to me. I'll pay for the postage and you can sleep well at night knowing you didn't charge some poor sap to haul your crap away. Yup, I'll even take those horrible 1Dx's. ;D

4 exchanges since December huh? I just can't get over that one. Twice is okay, but 4 times is too much for anybody. LOLOLOLOLOLOL! I wouldn't sell you a bologna sandwich! You've had 5 (FIVE!) brand spanking new 1Dx cameras in your hands since December. Wow! Your screen name is "1dx sucks". Is that why you joined this forum? To spin that tale?
I am so sorry I might have touched a very sensitive issue and might have hurt your feelings. 1dx sucks but it has huge potentials when the problem has been resolved permanently. The specks I can deal with but the effect it will do eventually. I guess what Im really concern about is that the problem was not really resolved and I am gonna have to keep on sending my camera for repairs just like others and that is not the way it should be for a $6700 camera. I just want to let people know that. I am not saying that I will not buy canon cameras anymore ... just the 1dx. I still have my 5dIII. Who knows the next flagship would be a lot better. It was a horrible experience for me especially when I had to send my last 1 dx for repairs and they said that all was replaced and tested but then the issue still exists. And I am not the only one who had the same experiences with their 1dx getting repaired but the problem still exist after the repairs. I am just being proactive. I guess for those of you whose warranty has expired will have to make the best of it and I hope that this mirror box issue will be resolved once and for all. For me, I still have the option of returning it and wait until a new robust model comes out. Sorry If I came out really harsh.

You didn't hurt my feelings in the least. I just happen to find your story tragically laughable. Five bad cameras in a row in such a short period of time and saying that returning two isn't so bad,,, but four????? It just does not ring true to me at all. Not one bit. I don't believe you. That's all. Choosing that particular screen name, frankly, puts you squarely in the troll category in my estimation of things... coupled with your fantastic story, of course.

Nobody in his right mind would consider returning two 1Dx cameras in such a short period of time as okay. Then saying four times was the last straw just makes me laugh.

I'm sure there are people here having real problems. For them I feel sorry and hope they find resolution to their problems. I just do not believe you are one of them.

Whatever ...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
IgotGASbadDude said:
CanonFanBoy said:
I want a 1Dx so bad I can taste it. It is almost a sin as bad as I want it. If I can ever swing it, I'll get one. This thread doesn't scare me off.

I was in the same boat as you at the end of 2014. Things worked out and I've had my 1DX for 2 months now.

No regrets. No problems. The only bad shots I get are operator error . . .

And I got my baby through a Craigslist transaction. Good luck to you and hopefully we'll see you on the 1DX train soon!

I'm dying to get one. Hopefully by the end of the summer. Then again, if a replacement is announced that would be cool too... as long as it is as good as the 1Dx. I have two must have items on my wish list for 2015: 1Dx and an EF 200mm f2L lens.

I'm no pro by any stretch, just a lowly truck driver. However, I can see photography as a way for me to keep from being on the road. At the very least it is an awesome hobby. Glad to hear you've had good luck with your 1Dx. I am confident that the vast majority are fine machines. What a fantastic hobby for me, and a great profession for so many others on this forum. Good luck to you!

Upvote 0
1st post here. I am a long time "lurker" and have read many threads on this site for information/advice.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I found this while researching debris issues with the 1DX.

After saving for quite awhile, I finally took the plunge and bought one of these with he bundle deal that was advertised on the CR site last week. I can't tell you how excited I was to have one of these to call my own!

I received it on Friday afternoon and took it out to shoot on Saturday. The very first time I pressed the shutter (high speed mode) several black particles appeared in the OVF. The more that I used it, the more particles appeared.

Upon review of the images, there is visible sensor trash at f/6.3! So I tried f/22. I could not believe the results. Less than 400 actuations and a dirtier sensor than I experienced in the three years that I have owned the 5DIII.

Here is where I screwed up...I tired to clean it. The sensor had a combination of oil and black particulate "chips" on it. I used "air rocket" and the sensor brush that I have used on the 5DIII. I think I got the sensor reasonably clean. I turned my attention to the focusing screen...I lightly blew air on it and gently brushed it with the sensor brush...there must have been some particulate from the sensor on the brush and I scratched the focus screen. :(

The camera is now on the way to CPS for service. I should have never attempted to clean this thing. After reading some of the experiences posted here and other places with debris problems similar to this one, I just hope it gets fixed correctly the first time around....fingers are crossed!

I know that there are so many people that have had (and continue to have) great experiences with this camera. I really wish I could say that mine was one of them right out of the gate...

Upvote 0