Canon EOS 6D Mark II Dynamic Range Talk & Sample Images

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Full production Canon EOS 6D Mark II camera bodies have started hitting the desks of reviewers. With that, we are also seeing a lot of sample images and sensor talk.</p>
<p>DPReview has completed a dynamic range test and have found that the EOS 6D Mark II isn’t a step forward in this regard. Base ISO dynamic range is not as good as the EOS 6D in early tests, though the EOS 6D Mark II does squeak out slightly better dynamic range performance at higher ISO’s than it’s predecessor.</p>
<p><strong>From DPReview:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>….it seems the benefits that appeared in the sensors used in the EOS 80D and EOS 5D IV have not been applied to the latest EOS 6D II, and the new camera has less dynamic range than we’ve become used to. Graphs plotted by regular DPR collaborator <a href="http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%206D%20Mark%20II,Canon%20EOS%2080D,Nikon%20D750" target="article-3416153698">Bill Claff illustrate this pretty clearly</a>. In this article, we’re taking a look at what this might mean for your images. <a href="https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3416153698/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range">Read the full test</a></p></blockquote>
<p>Obviously dynamic range isn’t everything and the sensor is more capable than that in the EOS 6D, but it is a bit disappointing there hasn’t been a bigger advancement from Canon in this regard.</p>
<p>You can also check out samples from DPReview: <a href="https://www.dpreview.com/samples/5865039367/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-sample-photos">Image Samples</a> | <a href="https://www.dpreview.com/samples/5865039367/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-sample-photos">Video Samples</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Re: Canon EOS 6D Mark II Dynamic Range Talk & Sample Images

Very well done Canon. Very well done! It's amazing that you can't even match a feature that other cameras had 3/4 years ago. Very well done indeed.

Canon took 4 years to produce this?! Recycling af and dpaf systems from old bodies and call it a day? Simply wow! I skipped getting 5D4 as it's just a meh upgrade for me (I don't shoot video and don't care about the video hum dums on 5D4). Now seems like I'll have to skip 6D2 too! I'll probably hold onto my current 5d3 and 6d bodies one more year and slowly transition into something that has a great sensor.

I know fan boys will come here to roast me. To you guys, I have used 'other' cameras with sigma art/Metabone adapter. The af speed and accuracy was enough for me. Don't care about sppedlite options. And don't use big white lenses as I never even shot sports. So I don't think I'll miss out on anything after switch and gain something that canon deprived me of because of their stubbornness and incapable engineers.

I wonder when canon will stop using their pre historic sensors and adapt sensors from someone else that's leaps and bounds ahead! Or at least hire some capable engineers and make a sensor that's at least playing catch up game well! Such a disgrace.

With all pro bodies updates out (1dx2, 5d4 and 6d2) and next ones at least 3 years away, I think Canon took the laziness too far. Hopefully we'll (except blind fan boys) answer with our wallet. Good luck

Upvote 0

BeenThere said:
Now ends the debate over DR measured on preproduction bodies vs production bodies. All hope is gone. Let the lamintation begin.

I'm glad this is over. There were a few people here going after cgarcia's credibility pretty hard when he's always been very careful and methodical in the past.

Upvote 0

Hornet

Canon 6D, Sony A7Rmk2
Jun 17, 2017
Vernon, BC

CanonGuy said:
Very well done Canon. Very well done! It's amazing that you can't even match a feature that other cameras had 3/4 years ago. Very well done indeed.

Canon took 4 years to produce this?! Recycling af and dpaf systems from old bodies and call it a day? Simply wow! I skipped getting 5D4 as it's just a meh upgrade for me (I don't shoot video and don't care about the video hum dums on 5D4). Now seems like I'll have to skip 6D2 too! I'll probably hold onto my current 5d2 and 6d bodies one more year and slowly transition into something that has a great sensor.

I know fan boys will come here to roast me. To you guys, I have used 'other' cameras with sigma art/Metabone adapter. The af speed and accuracy was enough for me. Don't care about sppedlite options. So I don't think I'll miss out on anything after switch and gain something that canon deprived me of because of their stubbornness and incapable engineers.

I wonder when canon will stop using their pre historic sensors and adapt sensors from someone else that's leaps and bounds ahead! Or at least hire some capable engineers and make a sensor that's at least playing catch up game well! Such a disgrace.

With all pro bodies updates out (1dx2, 5d4 and 6d2) and next ones at least 3 years away, I think Canon took the laziness too far. Hopefully we'll (except blind fan boys) answer with our wallet. Good luck

I agree, the Fan Boys will uncritically accept anything that Canon releases. I had already decided to skip this minor upgrade, but I'm very surprised that dynamic range performance is unchanged. I shoot regularly with the 6D and poor dynamic range is for me as a real estate photographer its biggest weakness. So they've added a few features Canon already had on the shelf, but if 4 years later image quality is essentially unchanged what's the point of this camera?

Upvote 0

Well, I was on the fence about buying one, and Canon likely just saved me a couple of thousand dollars. I'm sure it's going to be a great camera in a lot of ways, and the tilty-flippy screen and better AF seems nice, but my old 6D still works nicely and will remain my main camera for now.

Upvote 0

Hflm

Gear: 5div, A7riii, A9 ...
Jan 10, 2017

CanonGuy said:

Canon took 4 years to produce this?! Recycling af and dpaf systems from old bodies and call it a day? Simply wow! I skipped getting 5D4 as it's just a meh upgrade for me (I don't shoot video and don't care about the video hum dums on 5D4). Now seems like I'll have to skip 6D2 too! I'll probably hold onto my current 5d2 and 6d bodies one more year and slowly transition into something that has a great sensor.

I know fan boys will come here to roast me. To you guys, I have used 'other' cameras with sigma art/Metabone adapter. The af speed and accuracy was enough for me. Don't care about sppedlite options. So I don't think I'll miss out on anything after switch and gain something that canon deprived me of because of their stubbornness and incapable engineers.

The 6dii is indeed disappointing for me, too, so far. Regarding the 5div, which we use along Sony, that is a really great camera with a great sensor holding its own against the A9 or even A7rii (which is only marginally better in real life). So why not trying out the 5div?

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011

Hornet said:
CanonGuy said:

I agree, the Fan Boys will uncritically accept anything that Canon releases. I had already decided to skip this minor upgrade, but I'm very surprised that dynamic range performance is unchanged. I shoot regularly with the 6D and poor dynamic range is for me as a real estate photographer its biggest weakness. So they've added a few features Canon already had on the shelf, but if 4 years later image quality is essentially unchanged what's the point of this camera?

Maximizing profit by giving you the least amount of new tech possible. At least it has DPAF.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012

I have a 5d4; the dynamic range in terms of lack of shadow noise and banding at low ISO's is actually very much improved over the 5D3. It gives one a lot more room in post and leads to less exposure blending etc. In short, it doesn't always matter, but sometimes it helps a lot.

The M5 is also very good BTW in this regard.

Never shot a 6d, and not sure why they didn't improve the DR there when they clearly do have the sensor tech to do this.

So this is not a Canon "know-how" issue, they can make sensors as good as any. It must be a marketing issue.
The 6D2 seems very good in all other features, and I bet many will love it.

If anybody is on the fence about the 5D4 still and does need the DR, it is very, very good.

Upvote 0

Hflm said:
CanonGuy said:

The 6dii is indeed disappointing for me, too, so far. Regarding the 5div, which we use along Sony, that is a really great camera with a great sensor holding its own against the A9 or even A7rii (which is only marginally better in real life). So why not trying out the 5div?

You realize that you are comparing with a7rii which is 2 year old right? Why support a company who's still playing catch up game after 2 years?

As I mentioned, I don't shoot video and the incremental minute updates on 5d4 wasn't anything special to me. I would much rather support another company who's trying better with my wallet.

Upvote 0

schmidtfilme said:
Does anyone know or understand how the DR from the 6D M2 does compare to the 80D?

80D has the advantage until around ISO 500 or so.

PDR.htm

The chart I linked isn't showing up for me, so here's the link in case anyone wants to see the chart: http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%206D%20Mark%20II,Canon%20EOS%2080D

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

CanonGuy said:
Hflm said:
CanonGuy said:

You realize that you are comparing with a7rii which is 2 year old right?

As I mentioned, I don't shoot video and the incremental minute updates on 5d4 wasn't anything special to me. I would much rather support another company who's trying better with my wallet.
Why not? Canon haters compare Nikon D500 with Canon 7DMkII which is 3 years old... :)

Upvote 0

CanonGuy said:
You realize that you are comparing with a7rii which is 2 year old right? Why support a company who's still playing catch up game after 2 years?

I agree: Sony is still playing catch-up on build-quality, reliability, AF, ergonomics, support, resale value, lens selection, accessory selection, etc. Why would you support a company like that? :p ;)

Upvote 0

Hflm said:
Regarding the 5div, which we use along Sony, that is a really great camera with a great sensor holding its own against the A9 or even A7rii (which is only marginally better in real life). So why not trying out the 5div?

Thank you; I will. I appreciate your input.

Upvote 0