Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Sabaki said:
1. The much touted AF improvement seems to have improved Live View performance, I'm not reading this as saying it will improve AF performance through the View Finder. So perhaps more of a videographer's advantage that say an action/bird photographer?

Probably not for action, but for everything else and for the general photography crowd of course it's damn convenient to have the touch screen immediately af to where you point, anywhere on the screen. In this regard Canon really has a tech edge and doesn't disappoint.

Sabaki said:
2. Nowhere in the promoted features does it mention enhanced noise performance. I'm pretty certain that if Canon had managed noise free images at say ISO 800/1600, it would've been a headline feature.

From the sample shots, I cannot tell anything about the iso performance because of the noise reduction, the 1600 butterfly shot looks heavily nr'ed in the background, and the 3200 shot speaks for itsself. For me, the iso performance is the most important issue if I'd upgrade, because at the end it comes down to if the resulting shots are a lot different from the current 18mp crop sensor - and it doesn't seem so.

Canon's goal probably was only to match the d7100 noise which also isn't too good though they have some more mp. And I'd still expect Nikon's sony sensors to have the edge in dynamic range, we'll see.

Upvote 0
Frost said:
Strobists will be happy if the spec list at B&H is correct.

Max sync = 250th of a second.

And another first....

It has a focus assist (AF) beam.

2, until now, Nikon only perks.

DPREVIEW does confirm 1/250 max sync. Almost on par with D7100. Now let's see if DR and ISO performance will keep up with D7100.

Upvote 0
It's a pity it lacks a focus joystick, which I believe is reserved to higher end models. Yet I appreciate the focus mode button close to the shutter... and of course the touch-and-focus feature you get in live view (and likely on your mobile phone with wi-fi tethering).

Missing built-in GPS isn't a deal breaker, though of course would have made me even happier.

Overall I'm really waiting to get one in hand to see how it feels!

Upvote 0
Mar 31, 2013
Hobby Shooter said:
hamada said:
Hobby Shooter said:
From the picture it didn't seem that it has a shoulder display. That seems strange.

are you blind?
No, but thanks for asking in such a kind way. I only saw the picture on the landing page though.

yeah your fault then. ;)

it is pretty useless to judge the front cover of a book only by looking at the back cover. :p

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Sabaki said:
1. The much touted AF improvement seems to have improved Live View performance, I'm not reading this as saying it will improve AF performance through the View Finder. So perhaps more of a videographer's advantage that say an action/bird photographer?

Probably not for action, but for everything else and for the general photography crowd of course it's damn convenient to have the touch screen immediately af to where you point, anywhere on the screen. In this regard Canon really has a tech edge and doesn't disappoint.

Sabaki said:
2. Nowhere in the promoted features does it mention enhanced noise performance. I'm pretty certain that if Canon had managed noise free images at say ISO 800/1600, it would've been a headline feature.

From the sample shots, I cannot tell anything about the iso performance because of the noise reduction, the 1600 butterfly shot looks heavily nr'ed in the background, and the 3200 shot speaks for itsself. For me, the iso performance is the most important issue if I'd upgrade, because at the end it comes down to if the resulting shots are a lot different from the current 18mp crop sensor - and it doesn't seem so.

Canon's goal probably was only to match the d7100 noise which also isn't too good though they have some more mp. And I'd still expect Nikon's sony sensors to have the edge in dynamic range, we'll see.

For sure. We're doing loads of hypothesizing right now which may or may not lead to some very incorrect assumptions.
I currently shoot with a 500D and although I love my camera, I have two big issues with her performance, which of course is relative to my rank amateur status.
First is noise. I hate that my first post processing action is to set my noise reduction slider when shooting at ISO 400! An ISO range of 100 - 12800 and already I'm seeing noise only two clicks up!?
Secondly, it's DR. I use the ETTR methodology for landscapes and generally an f stop of 16. Yet when I try to recover detail in the shadows, I get that ugly, messy noise.

Upvote 0
Mar 31, 2013
Sabaki said:
Marsu42 said:
Sabaki said:

Sabaki said:

For sure. We're doing loads of hypothesizing right now which may or may not lead to some very incorrect assumptions.
I currently shoot with a 500D and although I love my camera, I have two big issues with her performance, which of course is relative to my rank amateur status.
First is noise. I hate that my first post processing action is to set my noise reduction slider when shooting at ISO 400! An ISO range of 100 - 12800 and already I'm seeing noise only two clicks up!?
Secondly, it's DR. I use the ETTR methodology for landscapes and generally an f stop of 16. Yet when I try to recover detail in the shadows, I get that ugly, messy noise.

i liked my 550D too.

for me it was not so much color noise or even luimnance noise.
it was this strange look i got at 100% on some images.
i can´t really describe it... frizzy.

it looks a bit like JPG artifacts (i shot RAW of course).. but then not really.
not like film grain.. i would be fine with that.. more like a labyrint pattern on some images on other like heat haze.
edged that should be sharp and definite (like the iris in the eyes) seem to frazzle.
as i said... hard to describe. :)

anyway it was the reason i hardly ever shoot above ISO 800 with the 550D.
with ISO 800 i felt uneasy already.

BXSkva7.jpg

since i am using FF i don´t have these problems anymore.

Upvote 0
Dec 15, 2010
Looks quite nice. The viewfinder is still a little bit small, and the sensitivity of the AF system could go a little lower (I've read -0.5EV somewhere, -2EV would have been nice for the center point). But that's all I would improve so far.

It will be interesting to see the how good the new sensor really is, especially DR and Noise.

7FPS is great, so are the 19AF points. The body is a bit smaller then the 60D, which I think is nice.

Another negative point is the currency conversion by Canon
1199$=1099€=1348CHF
Actually it should be:
1199$=920€=1136CHF

Upvote 0
I'm a videographer, but I'm thinking about switching from my 5D Mark II to the 70D if the noise isn't too bad. The main reasons is that the 70D has a Digic 5+ processor, which is the same as the 5D3 if I'm not mistaken, right? If the magic lantern team manage to hack the 70D, which I'm sure they are, that could enable 1080p RAW video recording. Also that AF in video recording looks quite handy when its hard to focus manually. Lastly, its a generally better camera, functions wise, than the 5D2, which only has the fullframeness to brag about, which although is really nice, but I could give that up for generally better specs and that lovely processor. :3

Upvote 0
Tiedtke said:
I'm a videographer, but I'm thinking about switching from my 5D Mark II to the 70D if the noise isn't too bad. The main reasons is that the 70D has a Digic 5+ processor, which is the same as the 5D3 if I'm not mistaken, right? If the magic lantern team manage to hack the 70D, which I'm sure they are, that could enable 1080p RAW video recording. Also that AF in video recording looks quite handy when its hard to focus manually. Lastly, its a generally better camera, functions wise, than the 5D2, which only has the fullframeness to brag about, which although is really nice, but I could give that up for generally better specs and that lovely processor. :3

Doesn't the lack of a headphone jack concern you? I know you can go external, but sometimes it is nice to have an in camera system you can monitor audibly.

Upvote 0
This is some very exciting stuff...if the autofocus is as good as some of the videos on the net in all situations this could make mainstream use of DSLRs for video a reality.

I'm very interested to see what the Magic Lantern guys will be able to come up with now that every pixel is a potential autofocus site. Automated full frame focus stacking? For those talking about RAW video on the 70d, you can probably count that out due to the write speeds of SD cards.

Personally, I couldn't give up full frame for a primary camera but look forward to this technology making it into the 5D series even though that may take years. One thing is for sure though...the EOS M Mark II just got a lot more interesting!

Upvote 0
Sabaki said:

I don't think it will be much much better. I think it'll be a bit better than the IQ coming out from 18MP sensor, and some better JPEG thanks to DIGIC5+.

"With that said, we were told to expect comparable ISO performance with the 7D and better color due to the new pixel structure." (http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/07/02/first-impressions-canon-70d/)

The sample images (especially the butterflies) doesn't amaze me with ISO performance. The specs of the camera indeed does.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.