Canon EOS 90D full specifications

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I'm not convinced that it isn't in there to be honest. They only have one frame rate listed per resolution - that looks more like max frame rates per resolution rather than a comprehensive list of frame rates (which would make some sense). We'll see.

On top of that I'm still suspicious that these spec sheets are fakes. The information is mostly accurate based on the leaked videos, but there are too many typos to be Canon documents IMHO.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Poor Canon. Can they ever break ahead from the competitors? Yes, I know that this is not a xD series camera, but since there will be no 7D Mark III, presented here is a 2019 camera with 2008 specs concerning the viewfinder's auto-focus points and the good ol' 4:2:0 color space @ 8bit. Still behind Nikon's D500 in terms of ISO, auto-focus points (45 vs 153), and the lack of an anti-aliasing filter. I own a lot of Canon equipment for videography and photography, but I rely on my Nikon system for the features that Canon lacks; making the difference in moments of necessity.

One post by a new user and it's a "poor Canon" troll post. I'm convinced at this point that Sony is paying people to do this.

Upvote 0
I hope you’re correct :)
Sounds like we'll find out in a week! I'm not ready to put money on it one way or the other, but we've seen errors in the release as it is so it isn't unreasonable to expect that the info isn't complete. Also, there isn't even one PAL frame rate listed, so unless Europeans are expected to never shoot video under artificial light, I suspect some information is missing. Soon soon!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It could well be true... and in that case, it would also speak badly of Canon’s user base. If they’re willing to pay more for an EOS R with less features, just to get 24p recording, for example, that’s a shame. Supporting deliberate and blatant crippling is a bridge too far, in my opinion.
I don't have an iron in this fire as I'm not interested in a 90D or an R and video frame rates are way down on my list of priorities for the cameras I do buy so I'm not condoning or dismissing Canon for what they are doing, just trying to point out a rational reason why they are doing it, I can be fairly certain that there is a lot of thought put into it though.

I will probably get the M5 MkII and won't give a seconds thought to the fact that it almost certainly won't have 24p. I think, in general, Canon are pretty smart and know their market, if 24p is put in a cheap camera I'd expect it to be in the M50 MkII as that was always promoted as the"'vloggers" tool.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm not convinced that it isn't in there to be honest. They only have one frame rate listed per resolution - that looks more like max frame rates per resolution rather than a comprehensive list of frame rates (which would make some sense). We'll see.
Maybe, I was just trying to offer a thoughtful reason why Canon are leaving 24p off some of their cameras. People don't seem to be able to put themselves on the other side of the equation, Canon want to make money selling cameras, sometimes putting a feature in one model impacts the sales of another to the point that it costs them revenue.

If I sell an 8" x 10" print for $20 and it costs me $10 I make $10 per print (overly simplistic I know but relatable) If I sell 50 copies of that print I make $500. If I don't offer that image as an 8" x 10" but only offer it as a 16" x 24" that costs me $25 but I sell for $100, I might only sell 10 of them but I make $750. It is a darn sight easier to find 10 buyers than 50, especially in a shrinking market like the camera market!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As a customer who buys from them even though they don't listen, it's frustrating that they don't! We have consistently asked to be brought up to atleast par with other cameras from 4 years ago. 2 card slots and 4k 60 would have easily sold me on this, unfortunately, I will not be getting this now.
They DO listen. You buy their products...you are clearly articulating that they are doing the right thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So they did the same stupid thing they did with the RP and removed 1920x1080 @ 24p. I would love to hear the logic behind removing that frame rate. It simply cannot be explained outside of intentionally crippling the camera. It's like cannon is going out of their way to push video users over to Sony or Panasonic.
Right! I also hope the final specs list 24fps because as is, it will not work as the video backup (2nd body) I had it in mind for, to the 7DmkII. Also, no dual slots? Keeping stills on one card and video on the other. Ah well. Fuji is looking better these days. At least Canon wasn't teasing with the 90D naming , it is a good upgrade from the 80D. But not viable enough of an upgrade from the 7dmkII or even as a 2nd body at this point.

Upvote 0
I'd love to know what converter people who ask this question are using...

:rolleyes:

(And if it's about the old and utterly discredited meme that more pixels = more noise, just no...)

This is 10,000 ISO from my 7D Mk II (1000mm handheld, too), converted in Photo Ninja (way better than DxO Photolab - and a damn' sight faster), with no additional NR in PP (click on it for bigger):

012.jpg

I'm rarely below 1600 ISO, and with Photo Ninja I consider 400 ISO and 4000 ISO to be same thing in terms of how the end result will look...

Upvote 0
Where am I supposed to go? I shoot 7d mkii for birds and wildlife. I have and shoot a 5d mkiv, using it mostly for landscapes. Where does Canon want me to go from here? No 7d mk iii? The 90d looks to be an inadequate replacement for a 7d mk ii. If they made a pro level crop, even aps-h body, I would buy it.

There is no visible way forward here.

Upvote 0
Maybe, I was just trying to offer a thoughtful reason why Canon are leaving 24p off some of their cameras. People don't seem to be able to put themselves on the other side of the equation, Canon want to make money selling cameras, sometimes putting a feature in one model impacts the sales of another to the point that it costs them revenue.

If I sell an 8" x 10" print for $20 and it costs me $10 I make $10 per print (overly simplistic I know but relatable) If I sell 50 copies of that print I make $500. If I don't offer that image as an 8" x 10" but only offer it as a 16" x 24" that costs me $25 but I sell for $100, I might only sell 10 of them but I make $750. It is a darn sight easier to find 10 buyers than 50, especially in a shrinking market like the camera market!
True and I understand the motivation, but while I'm not a video shooter either (and don't have a horse in this race) I can understand why some were frustrated with the RP not having the 24/1080 frame rate considering that nearly every other ILC that Canon had sold since the 5DII had the feature, up and down the lineup (the only cameras I can see released after the 5DII that didn't have 24/1080 was the 50D - which didn't have video at all without magic lantern). Even the 4000D has it right now - the RP seems to be the only video-capable ILC Canon made that doesn't have 24/1080. To continue that trend in the 90D seems like a step back.

Low frame rates (i.e. rates that aren't limited by hardware) seem like an unusual tool to segment products when Canon has offered 24/1080 everywhere for over 10 years. I'm sure Canon has their reasons, but if the expectation is that removal of 1080/24 will push vloggers to spend another $1000 on an R over an RP (or maybe buy something better than a 90D), then that may incentivize buyers to find older and maybe used Canon models which have the feature (any other Canon ILC in the last 10 years). It just seems like an inefficient way to segment - they could have not given the RP a mic or headphone jack and had a more reasonable segmentation on the same user base. There are better ways to segment than low frame rates, so I suspect it was either an oversight, or some sort of limitation caused by getting 4K out of a sensor that couldn't do it on the 6DII (who knows). We'll see I guess!

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
I don't think its the market this camera is aimed at. Video wise It's for casual shooters who wan't a step up and vloggers who want to shoot without any fuss. If you want Log and raw ect thats more black magic's crowd at this price point.

The R has log and this is the flagship APS-C DSLR and has the same processor as the R so it wouldn't have been a stretch to include it. Also there are a number of sub $1000 cameras that come with log now. CW is saying the 90D will be $1399 USD at launch. But yes I lost faith in Canon and pulled the trigger on the BMPCC 6K. I will still bust out the R when I need the better auto focus but other than that I consider that after having kickstarted the hybrid camera movement Canon has more or less decided to abandon it.

I think, in general, Canon are pretty smart and know their market, if 24p is put in a cheap camera I'd expect it to be in the M50 MkII as that was always promoted as the"'vloggers" tool.

That is whyy I didn't mention it in the other thread. 80D had 24P. Not only would it be a step backwards to take it out here, but it would really start to give Canon a reputation as movie haters. 24 is the movie standard. Maybe Canon engineers don't understand the art side of things and want to push every thing to a different frame rate not understanding why that is a non-starter. The 80D was the vloggers camera for quite a while and still used by a lot of vloggers.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That is whyy I didn't mention it in the other thread. 80D had 24P. Not only would it be a step backwards to take it out here, but it would really start to give Canon a reputation as movie haters. 24 is the movie standard. Maybe Canon engineers don't understand the art side of things and want to push every thing to a different frame rate not understanding why that is a non-starter. The 80D was the vloggers camera for quite a while and still used by a lot of vloggers.
I'd be shocked if it was an engineering decision, I'd be almost certain it is a marketing decision and if it costs them more than they thought it would it could be put back in via a firmware upgrade.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
So they did the same stupid thing they did with the RP and removed 1920x1080 @ 24p. I would love to hear the logic behind removing that frame rate. It simply cannot be explained outside of intentionally crippling the camera. It's like cannon is going out of their way to push video users over to Sony or Panasonic.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, for I am a stills only guy, but why is 24p so important? What’s wrong with using a different frame rate?

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2018
One post by a new user and it's a "poor Canon" troll post. I'm convinced at this point that Sony is paying people to do this.
No, I'm not a troll. I have invested in Canon for years, and own thousands of dollars in Canon! Unfortunately, I'm just frustrated with the company. Canon doesn't bring a professional 7D Mark III body to its professional wildlife shooters. I sold my 7D Mark II due to mediocre ISO performance and went with the 1Dc. Yes, less megapixels, but I'm not looking back on the quality of the photos. Looking at the Nikon D500, Canon had the opportunity to match or exceed those specs; not flood us with a camera with similar / mediocre photo specs to what is considered average, all the while sugar coat the 90D with more video features that are not necessarily needed for pro-shooters. But, I am aware that this is a xxD and not a xD camera. That being said, Canon let us xD folks in the dark this time around.

I share the same sentiments as the following post said earlier:

[USER=564]AprilForever[/USER] said:
"Where am I supposed to go? I shoot 7d mkii for birds and wildlife. I have and shoot a 5d mkiv, using it mostly for landscapes. Where does Canon want me to go from here? No 7d mk iii? The 90d looks to be an inadequate replacement for a 7d mk ii. If they made a pro level crop, even aps-h body, I would buy it. There is no visible way forward here. "

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Forgive my lack of knowledge, for I am a stills only guy, but why is 24p so important? What’s wrong with using a different frame rate?
There's nothing wrong with using a different frame rate - it's just a different look in some cases, but it can result in flickering in other cases. I'm not a video shooter, but in my very limited understanding 24p makes a difference compared to 25 fps depending on region and lighting. It has to do with the lighting frequency - North American lighting frequency is 60Hz (NTSE) while Europe is 50Hz (PAL) - 24, 30, and 60 fps will align well with 60Hz, while 25, and 50 fps will align well with 50Hz. Exclusion of 24fps means that the slowest frame rate you can use while aligning to lighting in North America is 30 fps. Since some people feel that 24 fps is critical to getting that film-like look (most movies are shot at this frame rate, and faster rates played back at normal speed can seem strange to the eye), they'd have to shoot in 30 fps and then convert to 24. You can do that, but the video may stutter because you have to remove 6 frames from every second of footage - that can result in video that looks a bit "jumpy".

Again, that's a non-video shooter's explanation based on limited info, so I'd be happy to be corrected!

Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Even though some people might say that DSLR are long in the tooth and that Mirrorless is the future, and even though I think I will also move to mirrorless next, I think this is a pretty nice upgrade: the 80D was a solid “do everything” camera and this improves on it: joystick, more resolution, more FPS, better metering, better video, and hopefully better DR/ISO performance
Nice

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
No, I'm not a troll. I have invested in Canon for years, and own thousands of dollars in Canon! Unfortunately, I'm just frustrated with the company. Canon doesn't bring a professional 7D Mark III body to its professional wildlife shooters. I sold my 7D Mark II due to mediocre ISO performance and went with the 1Dc. Yes, less megapixels, but I'm not looking back on the quality of the photos. Looking at the Nikon D500, Canon had the opportunity to match or exceed those specs; not flood us with a camera with similar / mediocre photo specs and sugar coated with more video features that are not necessarily needed.

The 90D matches or exceeds (big MP gain) most of the D500's specs and will probably land at a price $300-$500 less (6-12 months out). The D500 has more AF points, but that's not by itself an indicator of tracking performance. The D500 also has dual card slots. What else?

No one here has any idea if a 7D3 or a pro APS-C mirrorless RF are in the pipeline or not. If they are then they would have to 'blow away' the D500's specs to have any separation with the 90D. If they're not, then Canon's market research determined that such a body wouldn't sell enough units in this contracted market. It seems to be difficult for people to understand, but your choices are not set by evil greedy executives at Canon headquarters. They're set by your peers, other photographers. If there's no future 7D3 it's because not enough other photographers want one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0