Canon EOS 90D full specifications

Jan 21, 2015
Side note: as I'm so fond of pointing out, modern sensors are already very efficient photon counters, and there are no easy gains left to be made in high ISO performance. If you are expecting a new camera from any manufacturer to add 1-2 stops usability within a format then get set for disappointment. If today's APS-C cannot deliver the high ISO you need, you need to add FF for low light, not wait for a future crop sensor to bend the laws of physics.
This. I'd wait for a sensor that reduces photon noise but as that will not happen I'll wait for a sensor that requires as little white balancing and color correction as possible.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Unless it has some sort of new tech, its going to be a incremental increase over the previous 24 mp sensor. I did not see anything hinting at new technology
Did you note that the M6 manages over 40% more pixel per second throughput than the 1DX II? It also seems to be the greatest relative improvement in throughput over the respective predecessor in recent Canon history (Possibly ever. At least greater than the 1DX > 1DX II, 7D > 7D II and 70D > 90D improvements were). The 90D only beats the 1DX II by just over 10%, likely because it is held back by a mechanical shutter.

Still, to me this clearly screams new sensor technology. After all, the processor is the same we've seen a few times now. Why are those cameras so much slower?

And I'd personally be surprised if Canon executives thought to themselves "Let's change our sensor manufacturing to address the major speed limitations we have - but make sure not to improve anything that has an effect on image quality!". But those guys also seemed to have removed 24p recordings so I guess no thing's impossible

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Did you note that the M6 manages over 40% more pixel per second throughput than the 1DX II?

How do you calculate it?
If you are referring to the 30fps raw-burst mode, that seems to be in some kind of "crop-mode". But I haven't seen any info how big that crop is.
And btw, the spec-shet seems to says 23 fps, not 30fps?
4K video seems to be recorded at some (unspecified) lower resolution and upscaled to 4K output. At least that is how I read the small print.

But "new technology" is of course also always a relative term. It IS a new sensor, and it should have some improvements of various size and importance.

In general I think it looks like interesting cameras. The 90D seems like a great update to 80D. But even though I will consider purchasing 90D as a secondary camera with other strenghts, I still can't see it as a 7DII replacement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
I'm not a video guy but IF p24 is critical and memory cards are cheap... Couldn't you record 1024p120 and then discard 5 of the 6 frames in post? A second step and takes time but if it is critical....
Nice thought but It doesn’t really work like that. Imagine ripping a frame every second out the movies you watch. There would be a rhythmic judder.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
No, you're not right. It would have taken you all of 15 seconds to confirm that the 80D, like every ILC camera released by Canon since the 5D2 except for 2 early Rebel models had p24 (prior to the 90D and M6 II).

I have an 80D. Also a had a 70D. I’ve never even looked for the 24p option so didn’t even know it was there. I guess Canon feels if you want to shoot 24 then buy something more expensive that does?

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Gatekeeper to the Small World
Feb 12, 2015
As a macro shooter that only thing that I gain from upgrading my APS-C camera (currently using the 80D) is dynamic range. But I'm also wondering what the trade off is going to be between more pixels and potentially more diffraction (since the pixels are smaller). Can an increase in resolution be more beneficial that an increase in diffraction, provided my MP-E 65mm can out resolve the sensor? Getting this kind of image quality now with my single frame, uncropped, shot at F11 macro:

Leaf Cutter VII by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
But it will probably have the AA filter, making it somewhere between 40 and 50 MP equivalent...
Certainly a more difficult choice if we're not going to have a 7DIII. Between this and an R. Seems it will do pretty much what a 7DII does and a bit more. My guess is that this is the last semi-pro APS-C body in the EF (s) range?

Except it wont. It has the 80D's more limited 45 point AF with fewer AF point selection modes and there's no mention of iTR, probably because cameras with iTR have dual DiG!C processors instead of one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I'm not the one making the claim that there are a pile of more reasonable explanations why Canon offered p24 in nearly every camera they introduced with video capability for about 8-9 years only to start removing it across the board in the last year or so. If you think there are a bunch of reasonable explanations why cameras capable of p25 can't also do p24 other than the cripple hammer have at it.
I think that the explanation that Canon just doesn't want to support an obsolete format unless necessary is more reasonable than an explanation that Canon is afraid that its Powershots would compete with its cinema line.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
As a macro shooter that only thing that I gain from upgrading my APS-C camera (currently using the 80D) is dynamic range. But I'm also wondering what the trade off is going to be between more pixels and potentially more diffraction (since the pixels are smaller). Can an increase in resolution be more beneficial that an increase in diffraction, provided my MP-E 65mm can out resolve the sensor? Getting this kind of image quality now with my single frame, uncropped, shot at F11 macro:

Leaf Cutter VII by John Kimbler, on Flickr
Are you for real? Pixel size doesn't affect diffraction at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dalantech

Feb 12, 2015
Are you for real? Pixel size doesn't affect diffraction at all.

Diffraction causes light to spread out into a cone. Noticeable diffraction is defined as light coning out so that it spills half way into adjacent pixels. So how can pixel size not effect diffraction? Even gaps between pixels can effect noticeable diffraction, if that light diffracts into a gap instead of a pixel.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Diffraction causes light to spread out into a cone. Noticeable diffraction is defined as light coning out so that it spills half way into adjacent pixels. So how can pixel size not effect diffraction? Even gaps between pixels can effect noticeable diffraction, if that light diffracts into a gap instead of a pixel.
That is the property of the lens (aperture) and is the same no matter the sensor or if there is a sensor at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
If I read those specs right, I saw a top 1/16,000 shutter speed.... when was the last Canon to have that?!

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a Live View only option with electronic first curtain. The "specs" are jumbled with viewfinder shooting and LV shooting conflated at times. Look at the AF specs. 'Dual Pixel CMOS AF' is a LV only thing, yet it's listed in the same section with the description of the 45 point PDAF dedicated Af sensor array.

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Feb 12, 2015
That is the property of the lens (aperture) and is the same no matter the sensor or if there is a sensor at all.

Yes, at a given Fstop the level of diffraction will be the same, but how the sensor records that diffracted light changes with the properties of the sensor. Why do you think that some sensors are more diffraction limited than others? Do you even shoot macro bro?... :)

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
It goes like this: a video clip is a sequence of still shots, a lot like shooting a burst of photographs. If you’re doing things right, the amount of frames per second at which you record will determine your shutter angle (I.e. shutter speed), which should be 180º for most things (I.e. twice the number of FPS: 1/48 for 24, 1/60 for 30, 1/240 for 120, and so on).
Why can't it be closer to 360º if you have a rolling shutter anyway?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Maybe, I was just trying to offer a thoughtful reason why Canon are leaving 24p off some of their cameras. People don't seem to be able to put themselves on the other side of the equation, Canon want to make money selling cameras, sometimes putting a feature in one model impacts the sales of another to the point that it costs them revenue.

If I sell an 8" x 10" print for $20 and it costs me $10 I make $10 per print (overly simplistic I know but relatable) If I sell 50 copies of that print I make $500. If I don't offer that image as an 8" x 10" but only offer it as a 16" x 24" that costs me $25 but I sell for $100, I might only sell 10 of them but I make $750. It is a darn sight easier to find 10 buyers than 50, especially in a shrinking market like the camera market!

On the other hand, it's often easier to find 20 buyers willing to pay $20 for something *almost* as good as something that costs $100 than it is to find 10 buyers willing to pay $100.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Yes, at a given Fstop the level of diffraction will be the same, but how the sensor records that diffracted light changes with the properties of the sensor. Why do you think that some sensors are more diffraction limited than others? Do you even shoot macro bro?... :)
So now that is out of the way, can you see any reason why 32mp sensor would give worse results than a 24mp sensor?

Upvote 0
Wow... There are people who actually believe the 90D should have provided an upgrade path from the 7Dmk2? Really? Did you also expect the 6Dmk2 to provide an upgrade path from the 5Dmk4? or the 7Dmk2 to be an upgrade from the 1D series? Sony A7mk3 to be an upgrade from the A9?

As for video, yes, it's a shame it doesn't seem to have 24p. If it's a huge deal to you, just get a different camera. Your Canon lenses will work on your choice of Fuji or Sony body with an adapter if 24p is really that important. Why sit around and whine about it?

Upvote 0