Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

Jan 21, 2015
1/16000 top SS is mechanically-achievable given the physically shorter distance the shutter curtains need to travel in front of an APS-C sensor. I think Canon can even do a 1/300 mechanical X-
The travelled distance doesn't directly affect the shortest exposure time as it is achieved by first curtain opening and the second closing at the same time (at which point they can travel closely as long as necessary). It's more about how accurately they travel.

Flash sync could be achieved at higher speeds, yes.

Upvote 0
Never in my life as a photographer doing regular sports events to redbull events, weddings and olympic activities I had a fail on a card, whether it was a 550D, 70D, 7D2, 5D4, 1DX or 1DX2. I know it happens, but people keep panicking where they dont have to. No disrespect to you, but with 7D2, I am guessing you arent really a professional photographer, so your concern about single card slot is even less understandable.

45/65 points.. makes little difference. More important are the AF capabilities, which aren't connected with number of points. This is where 7D2 should shine compared to 80D/90D, but I, and many other on this board and dpreview had apparently shit experience with 7D2's AF. It just wasn't as good as it was promoted, the older 1DX with its fewer AF points still smokes it out of the water.
Good for you. Just tell that to the wedding couple the first time you do get a card failure. Sorry, lost your wedding, but don't worry, the chance of it happening again is very slim.

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Gatekeeper to the Small World
Feb 12, 2015
For me the big remaining question is sensor architecture and DR. Since they're not touting new and improved sensor technology on these splash videos my guess is that it's the old sensor tech with a MP bump. Same DR, more or less, is the way it would seem... We'll see....

These are very nice evolutionary upgrades, but I had hoped for kaikaku, not mere kaizen.

Same question I have -if not a significant increase over the 80D then I won't upgrade. I don't need all the AF features.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
The travelled distance doesn't directly affect the shortest exposure time as it is achieved by first curtain opening and the second closing at the same time (at which point they can travel closely as long as necessary). It's more about how accurately they travel.

Flash sync could be achieved at higher speeds, yes.

Same difference. The absolute travel time to traverse 14.8mm is shorter than 24mm, everything else being equal. Easier, cheaper & more reliable to do 1/16000 mechanical SS on a physically smaller shutter assembly. Edited my post to clarify my original point.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The connectivity is also very interesting.
If you can send photos and videos (?) to your phone or pc automatically, it will keep a lot of bloggers very happy.
I've been waiting for a replacement for my 70d and this new 90d seems a very good upgrade.
It depends! If it sends jpegs only then this feature it is of no interest to me. YMMV.

Still waiting to learn if there are programmable buttons just like 7DII/5DsR, etc....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Think it’s pretty likely it’ll be jpegs only. No real reason to transfer files that need to be later processed like that anyway.
Big reason if you want to use it as another backup (in addition to cards of course).
Otherwise no big deal for me. 5DIV and 1DxII can send raw files automatically if desired (it's configurable) by using ftp.

But as this is an upgrade from 7DII (which had minor connectivity and this only by replacing one sd card with the wireless one) I have no objection of course. Just not interested a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Let's be realistic here guys. What would a 7D mk3 offer over the 90D? The 61af point system from the 5D4? Dual card slots? While those features are all well and good and crucial to some buyers, I don't think they're big enough of an advantage that canon would spend more R&D to create a camera with very little difference especially when the market is moving towards mirrorless and canon's profits are falling. With the rumours that the 90D would effectivley be the successor to the 7D2, I can see that this is most likely indeed the sucessor to the 7D line and there will be no 7D3. You got weather sealing, AF joystick, spot AF, 10fps etc, all 7D line features at what i can only assume will be a much lower price point.

Upvote 0
I can live with the filter and single card slot, and also with a fully-usable 8 FPS burst. But the omission of 24p is too much. It feels as if they were spiting me. The hardware can support it, so WHY!?
Because you don't "need" it. If you do, in Canon's delusional fantasy world you're supposed to buy one of their Cinema cameras and make them rich. In the real world you'll just buy an ILC from a competitor instead.

I also think there must be some other nasties lying in wait in the technical specs.
If they're true to their roots there most certainly will be. If they've truly changed maybe not. The lack of p24 suggests they haven't changed very much.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Remember 10 years ago when Canon was at the forefront of video in ILCs (DSLRs)? The 7D and 5D2 were cutting edge, class leading, ahead of everyone else products at the time. Those days are long gone for Canon. Now Canon has a line of Cinema cameras to protect, so they're happy to afflict their ILC lineups with the cripple hammer when it comes to video features. The only question is whether Canon has learned anything and changed their way a bit or if they're the same old Canon. I guess we'll find out more once the full details are released on the 90D and the M6 II. The recent G5X II and G7X III are not good foreshadowing though.

Wow so negative. But I'm confused - what do you mean by "The only question is whether Canon has learned anything" - learned from what?

Upvote 0
I ran into several hard drive fail.

HDD failure is inevitable, which is why I backup photos to the cloud (when I finish processing them) and optical media (once a month).

Flash memory cells can be written to a limited number of times, then it fails. Good memory cards do wear leveling, but it only delays the inevitable. Then, other parts might fail too. E.g. I bought a SanDisk Extreme PRO 256GB USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive, and the memory controller failed after a few months of light use. According to Amazon reviews, this is a common problem with this product.

With today's technology, buying from good brands may give the impression that the odds are ever in your favor, but failure is a real possibility.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Let's be realistic here guys. What would a 7D mk3 offer over the 90D? The 61af point system from the 5D4? Dual card slots? While those features are all well and good and crucial to some buyers, I don't think they're big enough of an advantage that canon would spend more R&D to create a camera with very little difference especially when the market is moving towards mirrorless and canon's profits are falling. With the rumours that the 90D would effectivley be the successor to the 7D2, I can see that this is most likely indeed the sucessor to the 7D line and there will be no 7D3. You got weather sealing, AF joystick, spot AF, 10fps etc, all 7D line features at what i can only assume will be a much lower price point.
How much to spend on R&D for a technology that already exists? (65 AF point sensor, dual cards, etc)

But of course 90D is very appealing (assuming it has the same programmable buttons for continuity and assistant AF points)

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I can live with the filter and single card slot, and also with a fully-usable 8 FPS burst. But the omission of 24p is too much. It feels as if they were spiting me. The hardware can support it, so WHY!?
I also think there must be some other nasties lying in wait in the technical specs.
We will have to wait for final release to get full specifications. Also reading at leaked material, noticed the USB port is type-C but the controller sitting behind it only supports 2.0 speeds not SS rating. There are going to be somethings that Canon is hiding behind that marketing material with purposeful castrations done for segmentation. I have lost photos before due to card failure(Sandisk extreme) and it really sucks when that happens. Would much rather have liked to see dual card slots.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
We will have to wait for final release to get full specifications. Also reading at leaked material, noticed the USB port is type-C but the controller sitting behind it only supports 2.0 speeds not SS rating.[..]

I would have expected the usb controller to be part of the digic chip. That, combined with the fact that the R does support USB3 I think Canon decided to segmentize it. M*, RP -> USB2, R, Rx, Rs -> USB3

Upvote 0