Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
However, when Canon released the 80D and 1Dx mkII, which had much improved DR over previous Canon DSLRs, Canon made very little of it in their literature and promotional material. My guess as to the reason for this is that, firstly it would be acknowledging that DR matters, and previous Canon DSLRs, still in production at the time, were behind the times. Secondly, whilst the DR was much improved it was not class leading and a bit behind the opposition, so again not in Canon's interest to make too much of this. Therefore I don't believe you can read too much into this, because even if the DR was on par or even slightly better than all other APS-C cameras, highlighting it would put other Canon DSLRs, still in production, in less than good light. In other words, overall it's not in Canon's best interest to make too much about DR unless they were replacing the whole of their range with increased DR.
Or...they know that actual camera buyers don't give a rat's behind about Dynamic Range, so why highlight it in a promotional video.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
And yet when people actually get to use Canon bodies, not just argue about spec sheets on the internet, they are almost universally considered great cameras and better than the sum of their parts.

SOrry, that train stopped with the 5d3. It's been a while since...a LONG while.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I’m waiting to see what wonderful finishing touches they made with the Cripple Hammer. It looks too good* as it is now. If it’s nothing serious, I’ll be impressed.

*for current Canon standards.

Dear lord, LOLOLOLOLOL.

Not only does the devil lie in the details, demons and the lords of hell are in there also. Thier only job is to make propsective canon buyers say, OH NO, NOT BUYING THAT'. The cripple master lords must be satisfied. :LOL:

After using a M series for the last three years, there's no longer a need for a full size crop for me. If its big, make it FF (or small FF!). If not....See ya

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I’m waiting to see what wonderful finishing touches they made with the Cripple Hammer. It looks too good* as it is now. If it’s nothing serious, I’ll be impressed.

*for current Canon standards.
Probably still comes with AA filter, single card slot , no 24 fps option for video and 10fps with Ae/af lock not dynamic tracking.

Upvote 0
FHD isn't mentioned at all except with respect to 120p/100p where the note is: "AF fixed when shooting. The angle of view becomes narrower." This is in the exact same section as the "through image processing" note on 4k (bullet points 2 and 3).

You could be right (which would be a huge disappointment). But I would think the language would be the same for both bullet points if 4k was cropped like 120p/100p FHD is.

Think of it this way. 4K @ 30fps requires same read speed as 1080p @ 120fps, if they can't do the latter without heavy crop they can't do the former either. Given the price of this camera I doubt we can expect 4K to be taken from either full sensor readout with binning or even 6K crop with downsampling. It's a worry they say 1080p @ 120fps has smaller angle of view, but how large a crop they will use is unknown.

Upvote 0
So far this would be a D7500 killer if performance matches specs. I would like to see how it could stack up against my D500 for BIF, as that camera is noticeably better than any of my Canon's overall including 1DX. If it can do AF with all points @ f/8 and could match my 5D4 I might get one. But let's see if it can best the 7DII first.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It was predictable that it would be absent as soon as they said that it had a Digic 8 processor. If the R cameras can't do 4K60 then these will not be able to either.
Canon sensors outside the 1DXII have far too slow a sensor read speed to handle 4K 60p and that still requires large crop. Even 4K @30p requires huge crop to read the data fast enough. Given heat issues and pricepoint of 90D/M6II expecting 4K 60p is too much, not even Sony A9 can offer that.

Upvote 0
Canon sensors outside the 1DXII have far too slow a sensor read speed to handle 4K 60p and that still requires large crop. Even 4K @30p requires huge crop to read the data fast enough. Given heat issues and pricepoint of 90D/M6II expecting 4K 60p is too much, not even Sony A9 can offer that.
Remember 10 years ago when Canon was at the forefront of video in ILCs (DSLRs)? The 7D and 5D2 were cutting edge, class leading, ahead of everyone else products at the time. Those days are long gone for Canon. Now Canon has a line of Cinema cameras to protect, so they're happy to afflict their ILC lineups with the cripple hammer when it comes to video features. The only question is whether Canon has learned anything and changed their way a bit or if they're the same old Canon. I guess we'll find out more once the full details are released on the 90D and the M6 II. The recent G5X II and G7X III are not good foreshadowing though.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Fun speculating. :)
What do you folks think about 60p?
I think it will be cropped 4K with DPAF.
I have said before, I really dont mind cropped video as long as it is sharp and has little to no rolling shutter. For shooting behavioural videos of small insects and frogs that extra reach from cropped video is really useful.

Upvote 0
Looks like a nice upgrade to 80D, let alone our 70D. It all boils down to the question - does it use new sensor generation tech and eventually sports IBIS? If not, we will gladly pass on. Well, I am eventually already decided to accompany our 5DIV with 6D II, just becaue .... looks retro, is small, can go to various travels more easily and eventually, can be a backup / second shooter (bts) during the weddings. If M6II does not have IBIS either, it will be dissapointing too, but well, we will see - so far we are doing all our work without IBIS, so ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
Probably still comes with AA filter, single card slot , no 24 fps option for video and 10fps with Ae/af lock not dynamic tracking.

I can live with the filter and single card slot, and also with a fully-usable 8 FPS burst. But the omission of 24p is too much. It feels as if they were spiting me. The hardware can support it, so WHY!?
I also think there must be some other nasties lying in wait in the technical specs.

Upvote 0