Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

You don't know that the number of potential camera buyers who are unhappy with these cameras is vanishingly small. In fact all signs point to the fact that the majority of camera buyers are "unhappy" with them. Canon has less than a 50% market share. That means that the majority of camera buyers are "unhappy" with them.

Wow. Neuro's reply is all the answer this needs.

Sales are on a consistent decline and even Canon predicts that trend will not reverse. So, if you ignore that and only look at marketshare you can call the performance "good". I guess if they want to be the premiere manufacturer of buggy whips in an automobile world that option is open to them.

The market overall is contracting. Is it your contention that this would not be the case if Canon made cameras with specifications you think would be better than they currently are? You *seem* to have taken something very small and specific (the omission of a niche feature) and extrapolated it to the state of the entire photographic market.

I didn't say anything about features I want. They are missing features that are being offered by their competitors and Canon seems to be falling further and further behind and are baking in even more and more bizarre artificial limitations into the cameras. Like removing relevant features that they previously offered for no reason.

What doesn't seem to have occurred to you is that maybe they've realised that these features are irrelevant to so many people that they can omit them henceforth without it impacting their sales? We don't know their reasoning, but why is your hypothesis better than this one? I doubt it's 'for no reason' either way. After all, if these features *are* as vital as you seem to be implying, their competitors should surely be taking market share away from them?

Upvote 0
What doesn't seem to have occurred to you is that maybe they've realised that these features are irrelevant to so many people that they can omit them henceforth without it impacting their sales? We don't know their reasoning, but why is your hypothesis better than this one? I doubt it's 'for no reason' either way. After all, if these features *are* as vital as you seem to be implying, their competitors should surely be taking market share away from them?
Give it time. They've only started removing it from new models.

Upvote 0
Good luck with that. You just know this is going to fail at a critical moment. Better just rely on 1 card and pray it doesn't fail or buy a camera that has two.
Everything will fail at some point but isn't an additional layer of redundancy still a benefit? I don't see the point of ignoring it if it is possible with single card cameras. Has anyone got any additional information on the speed and buffer related issues with wireless tethering to phones?

Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
Everything will fail at some point but isn't an additional layer of redundancy still a benefit? I don't see the point of ignoring it if it is possible with single card cameras. Has anyone got any additional information on the speed and buffer related issues with wireless tethering to phones?

Suuuuure.
I don't have any information about "speed" and "buffering" for a 90D. . . .but I do know that I always seem to have to fiddle with my 80D and my phone to get the two to pair up. I have a canon P&S with similar wi-fi functionality. My general impression is that this functionality in both cameras is 3/4 baked. . .some fiddling is always required to make things work. Especially with constant app and phone software upgrades, and the fact that my phone is primarily used for non-camera activities. I am also not sure how operation with *two* cameras at the same event would work out.

I am sure I could figure something out - maybe buy some dedicated cheap hardware / software to make everything work in portable studio setup. Then we can talk about Wi-Fi speed and whatnot.

But Canon wifi connectivity is definitely not "apple in their prime" bullet-proof easy.
Given the state of the Canon software, I wouldn't *depend* on any of the WiFi stuff for "mission critical" images.
Given the controversy over 24fps video, it would take some convincing to make me think Canon is about to improve *WiFi connectivity* in the new batch of cameras.

It all boils down to "how paranoid are you?".
If I really thought "SD Card failure during an event* was something to worry about, I would definitely look towards a camera with a dual slot solution.

For securing data after an event.. .there are a number of equally valid approaches which we can discuss in a different thread.

Upvote 0
Give it time. They've only started removing it from new models.

So you are definitely saying that removing (or not including) a particular video framerate will cause a decline in sales, okay. That's a hypothesis, although of course we can't really test it because even though we can see overall sales, we don't have access to the reasons people choose to buy (except as anecdote). But that takes me back to what I asked earlier - given we've had people coming on these forums for years saying X feature will cost Canon their market dominance (some examples include low ISO DR, absence of 4K, absence of full frame 4K, dual card slots in some models), and so far it hasn't, why *this* feature, and why *now*?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
... given we've had people coming on these forums for years saying X feature will cost Canon their market dominance (some examples include low ISO DR, absence of 4K, absence of full frame 4K, dual card slots in some models), and so far it hasn't, why *this* feature, and why *now*?
Because he wants it, Precious. The people who want more DR claim Canon is doomed without it, the people who want a second card slot claim Canon is doomed without it, the people who want a hot pink ILC claim Canon is doomed for making black ones, etc. His p24 is yet another example of someone deluding themselves by thinking their personal want is a universal desire. He thinks this time his prediction of doom for Canon is right.

source.gif

Upvote 0
Because he wants it, Precious. The people who want more DR claim Canon is doomed without it, the people who want a second card slot claim Canon is doomed without it, the people who want a hot pink ILC claim Canon is doomed for making black ones, etc. His p24 is yet another example of someone deluding themselves by thinking their personal want is a universal desire. He thinks this time his prediction of doom for Canon is right.

Pyschology is strange.

Upvote 0
The part I literally quoted in my reply :rolleyes:
So you don't agree that Canon established the market for video in ILCs 10 years ago with the 5D II and the 7D? If you think that's unsubstantiated I'll just leave you to your ignorance.

Because he wants it, Precious.
You two should get a room if you're going to talk to each other like that. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
So you don't agree that Canon established the market for video in ILCs 10 years ago with the 5D II and the 7D? If you think that's unsubstantiated I'll just leave you to your ignorance.

Erm how did your sentence start? "They're still riding out the momentum they gained 10 years ago...". THAT is unsubstantiated. THAT is supposition. How do you know this? You think that all the sales they make now are based on something they did ten years ago? Camera buyers are so nostalgic or uneducated that they think 'the 5D2 broke the mould for DSLR video, I'll buy whatever Canon is making now'. That most new buyers are even AWARE of what was happening in the market ten years ago seems a stretch. You seem pretty articulate so maybe you're playing dumb for effect. I really hope so, because most of what you've posted on these forums recently has been so bizarre and obviously warped that it would be a shame if you really believed it.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Erm how did your sentence start? "They're still riding out the momentum they gained 10 years ago...". THAT is unsubstantiated. THAT is supposition. How do you know this? You think that all the sales they make now are based on something they did ten years ago? Camera buyers are so nostalgic or uneducated that they think 'the 5D2 broke the mould for DSLR video, I'll buy whatever Canon is making now'.
To be honest, I've just paid Canon €500 for fixing my broken 5D2. Obviously, that must be a lot of momentum for Canon.

I don't use it to shoot videos, though.

Upvote 0
I use both the Sigma 18-35 an 50-100 on the 80D often stopped down as far as they will go for landscape work and at 100% I am not finding issues with the picture. Properly designed crop glass will work better on a crop camera than FF glass.

Thanks for the feedback! I expected my 80D to equal my 5DIV in resolution and it definitely does not for moon shots, macro, etc. I conclude my expectations are just out of line.

The thing about crop glass working better has me a little mystified; it is my understanding that using FF glass on crop means the sensor uses only the best part of the lens, avoiding the edge issues, especially vignetting.

Upvote 0
Let's be realistic here guys. What would a 7D mk3 offer over the 90D? The 61af point system from the 5D4? Dual card slots? While those features are all well and good and crucial to some buyers, I don't think they're big enough of an advantage that canon would spend more R&D to create a camera with very little difference especially when the market is moving towards mirrorless and canon's profits are falling. With the rumours that the 90D would effectivley be the successor to the 7D2, I can see that this is most likely indeed the sucessor to the 7D line and there will be no 7D3. You got weather sealing, AF joystick, spot AF, 10fps etc, all 7D line features at what i can only assume will be a much lower price point.

"You got ..... all 7D line features"?
You are joking, right?
If not: download and read the 7D II's Manual (apparently you do not have one, hence: download it).

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Hey, has anyone checked out these leaked official SAMPLE IMAGES from 90D? They're probably highly processed, but at the first glance, some of them show a nice DR and contrast. Unfortunately, they were scaled down and have no EXIF. What do you think of them?

At that size, could have been taken with any remotely modern ILC. Impossible to say much about actual IQ before we get RAWs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Erm how did your sentence start? "They're still riding out the momentum they gained 10 years ago...". THAT is unsubstantiated. THAT is supposition. How do you know this? You think that all the sales they make now are based on something they did ten years ago? Camera buyers are so nostalgic or uneducated that they think 'the 5D2 broke the mould for DSLR video, I'll buy whatever Canon is making now'. That most new buyers are even AWARE of what was happening in the market ten years ago seems a stretch. You seem pretty articulate so maybe you're playing dumb for effect. I really hope so, because most of what you've posted on these forums recently has been so bizarre and obviously warped that it would be a shame if you really believed it.
It's not at all an unsubstantiated supposition. If people didn't have a legacy of using Canon for video back from when they were the best and established the market and have a pile of EF glass virtually no one would still be buying Canon ILCs for video. Established video shooters are still using Canon because they invested in the Canon EF lens system back when Canon was the best and these shooters haven't bailed yet because they're financially invested in the EOS/EF system and lets not underestimate brand loyalty either. Any unattached newbie buying into Canon ILCs for video certainly isn't buying in because they're the best. They're heavily influenced because they see established legacy users with Canon and they're emulating what they see figuring the established legacy Canon users must be using them for a good reason. If new brand came to the market with a series of ILCs with the exact video features found in Canon cameras at the same prices they would not be competitive in the market and would not sell well.

So, yeah Canon is riding out momentum in the video arena with their ILCs from when they were the best and established the market.

Why do you think people are still buying Canon ILCs for video? It's certainly not for their feature set.

Upvote 0