Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

Mar 2, 2012
At that size, could have been taken with any remotely modern ILC. Impossible to say much about actual IQ before we get RAWs.
Most images look like they could have been taken with any remotely modern ILC. Outside some obvious fast motion, I never look at a photo and think “boy that must be some great gear,” and even fast motion isn’t a sure thing.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
It's not at all an unsubstantiated supposition. If people didn't have a legacy of using Canon for video back from when they were the best and established the market and have a pile of EF glass virtually no one would still be buying Canon ILCs for video. Established video shooters are still using Canon because they invested in the Canon EF lens system back when Canon was the best and these shooters haven't bailed yet because they're financially invested in the EOS/EF system and lets not underestimate brand loyalty either. Any unattached newbie buying into Canon ILCs for video certainly isn't buying in because they're the best. They're heavily influenced because they see established legacy users with Canon and they're emulating what they see figuring the established legacy Canon users must be using them for a good reason. If new brand came to the market with a series of ILCs with the exact video features found in Canon cameras at the same prices they would not be competitive in the market and would not sell well.

So, yeah Canon is riding out momentum in the video arena with their ILCs from when they were the best and established the market.

Why do you think people are still buying Canon ILCs for video? It's certainly not for their feature set.

Interesting theory, but unless you can substantiate it, it was properly labeled.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
"You got ..... all 7D line features"?
You are joking, right?
If not: download and read the 7D II's Manual (apparently you do not have one, hence: download it).
I think you severly misunderstood me there. What i mean by ALL 7D LINE, was that the features i mentioned directly before that, SPECIFICALLY weather sealing, joystick, 10fps are ALL TRADITIONALLY FOUND ON THE 7D LINE, I didn't say that EVERY SINGLE 7D FEATURE was to be present on the 90D

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Most images look like they could have been taken with any remotely modern ILC. Outside some obvious fast motion, I never look at a photo and think “boy that must be some great gear,” and even fast motion isn’t a sure thing.

Yeah, that’s what I meant. With JPEGs at web resolution there’s no telling really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting theory, but unless you can substantiate it, it was properly labeled.
It aligns with all the observable evidence. That's how a hypothesis is substantiated. When evidence can be found that disproves the hypothesis then you can falsify it and write it off.

Further, it is more substantiated than his claims that it's not true.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Why do you think people are still buying Canon ILCs for video? It's certainly not for their feature set.
Sure, no one cares about DPAF as a reliable AF for video capture. Sure, the rest of the system, lenses, etc., are not relevant.

It aligns with all the observable evidence.
Does it, though? Well, at any rate it aligns with your conformation bias, which is evidently sufficient for you.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
It aligns with all the observable evidence.

Kindly share your observable evidence for peer review. That's how demonstrating your hypothesis is true works.

If people didn't have a legacy of using Canon for video back from when they were the best and established the market and have a pile of EF glass virtually no one would still be buying Canon ILCs for video. *needs citation

Established video shooters are still using Canon because they invested in the Canon EF lens system back when Canon was the best and these shooters haven't bailed yet because they're financially invested in the EOS/EF system... *needs citation

They're heavily influenced because they see established legacy users with Canon and they're emulating what they see figuring the established legacy Canon users must be using them for a good reason. *needs citation

If new brand came to the market with a series of ILCs with the exact video features found in Canon cameras at the same prices they would not be competitive in the market and would not sell well. *needs citation

The first three you could perhaps address with polling. The last one you won't be able to substantiate without coming to market with said products.

Upvote 0
Incidentally, which non canon ILC has that?
You're really asking me which Canon competitor makes a camera with a Canon exclusive feature??? :unsure: There are numerous ones with full sensor 4K oversampled video and PDAF. I await your retort exhorting the superiority of DPAF to PDAF and how it's just not the same thing.

Incidentally Canon is capable of making a full sensor 4K camera with DPAF. They just aren't going to let the plebes have it in the consumer line-up just yet lest they impact the sales of their $6.5k model. They slow roll features just fast enough to keep the faithful from defecting.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
You're really asking me which Canon competitor makes a camera with a Canon exclusive feature??? :unsure: There are numerous ones with full sensor 4K oversampled video and PDAF. I await your retort exhorting the superiority of DPAF to PDAF and how it's just not the same thing.

Typically I wouldn’t ask rhetorical questions. In the context of a your post and the one it replied to, it was reasonable.

What one must understand: some people value some things. Other people value other things.

As an example, I’ve never used DPAF and I don’t care about it (being in a camera I purchase, that is) and especially don’t exhort anything about it. In a technical discussion I may be moved to point out that DPAF isn’t superior to PDAF, but rather, that it IS PDAF, achieved a certain way that’s only available in products from Canon and Samsung.

Let me ask this: do you go on various brand-centric websites lambasting business decisions? Sony forums complaining that (like canon) they only sell global shutter cameras to people willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars? I’ve never understood the point. If brand a offers a value proposition you like and brand b doesn’t, go buy something from brand a. If they both do but different capabilities, buy both. Or buy neither.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Incidentally Canon is capable of making a full sensor 4K camera with DPAF. They just aren't going to let the plebes have it in the consumer line-up just yet lest they impact the sales of their $6.5k model. They slow roll features just fast enough to keep the faithful from defecting.
Of course it’s not possible there’s a technical reason for that. Heat management? Remember the 1DX and 1DC where they had to engineer a big heat sink in the latter to deal with that problem?

No, no…you’ve decided it’s Canon being malicious and you’re going to ride that particular hobbyhorse until it breaks down. Have fun!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Er the C200 is an S35 sensor, that's 24mm x 18mm, or a crop sensor! There is a massive difference between a fan cooled non weatherproof native 9mp crop sensor 'full sensor'' (all of the frame) readout and a 'full frame' (sized, 36mm x 24mm) sensor or any sized sensor with 30-60MP doing a full sensor readout and resampling in real time to 8mp/4k.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Of course it’s not possible there’s a technical reason for that. Heat management? Remember the 1DX and 1DC where they had to engineer a big heat sink in the latter to deal with that problem?
Can you explain how it generates more heat in the sensor to do full sensor readout for 1080p than for 2160p? The same amount of data comes out of the sensor in both cases.

No, no…you’ve decided it’s Canon being malicious and you’re going to ride that particular hobbyhorse until it breaks down. Have fun!
So what's your theory? Are you a subscriber to what seems to be the prevalent theory that Canon is just not as capable as their competitors? I guess they should have invested more in R&D with all the money their making from their #1 marketshare.

Er the C200 is an S35 sensor, that's 24mm x 18mm, or a crop sensor! There is a massive difference between a fan cooled non weatherproof native 9mp crop sensor 'full sensor'' (all of the frame) readout and a 'full frame' (sized, 36mm x 24mm) sensor or any sized sensor with 30-60MP doing a full sensor readout and resampling in real time to 8mp/4k.
And? It doesn't change that pretty much every other main player offers ILCs that can do full sensor readout oversampled "4K" on "high" MP sensors. Is your argument is that Canon is just less capable than Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, etc.? I don't buy that, but either way customers can't get the same video features from Canon in their consumer ILCs that they can from their competitors.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And? It doesn't change that pretty much every other main player offers ILCs that can do full sensor readout oversampled "4K" on "high" MP sensors. Is your argument is that Canon is just less capable than Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, etc.? I don't buy that, but either way customers can't get the same video features from Canon in their consumer ILCs that they can from their competitors.

No, I'm just saying the example you posted to 'prove' whatever it is you are trying to prove is not a relevant comparison.

To the second part, so what? If you need the features others offer buy a different brand. What difference does it make?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So what's your theory? Are you a subscriber to what seems to be the prevalent theory that Canon is just not as capable as their competitors? I guess they should have invested more in R&D with all the money their making from their #1 marketshare.
My hypothesis is that Canon has data/modeling supporting the decision in terms of increased profit. Could be through upselling, could be through reduced costs. Likely their data support it not mattering to a sufficient number of buyers to justify inclusion. It’s exceedingly unlikely that their motivation was to ‘treat their customers with disdain’ (your words).

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
HDD failure is inevitable, which is why I backup photos to the cloud (when I finish processing them) and optical media (once a month).

Flash memory cells can be written to a limited number of times, then it fails. Good memory cards do wear leveling, but it only delays the inevitable. Then, other parts might fail too. E.g. I bought a SanDisk Extreme PRO 256GB USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive, and the memory controller failed after a few months of light use. According to Amazon reviews, this is a common problem with this product.

With today's technology, buying from good brands may give the impression that the odds are ever in your favor, but failure is a real possibility.

Recently I just decided to toss a couple CF cards, the two Transcend 32GB cards I bought with my 5D III back in 2012. Never had a problem with them, but just felt like it was time.

Did I throw away perfectly good cards?

Upvote 0
I would have expected the usb controller to be part of the digic chip. That, combined with the fact that the R does support USB3 I think Canon decided to segmentize it. M*, RP -> USB2, R, Rx, Rs -> USB3

Even if the USB controller is a part of the digic chip, its design was probably bought from 3rd party. The decision to use one of the other might have to do with price, e.g. royalties and fabrication.

Upvote 0