Canon EOS R body with more than 75mp on the horizon [CR2]

For those of us who need high resolution in a Canon full frame camera, the 5DsR has been an outstanding tool. I've gotten more than my money's worth from mine.

With 100MP miniMF systems on the horizon, with their obvious appeal to a number of landscape photographers, a 75Mp full frame Canon system seems like a logical next step from the 5DsR. Despite the usual concerns about dynamic range and noise... I'm sure that the performance will be at least as good as the current model in those regards.

I also think that in most ways the 5DsR series is a fine candidate for a mirrorless body. I mostly use my 5DsR for landscape photography on the tripod, and I essentially always shoot in live view mode, so that transition would not be an issue.

I think Canon will need to at least equal (and, I hope improve at least a bit) the AF performance in a hypothetical high MP mirrorless camera. Some of us use the 5DsR for things other than landscape — I use mine for bird photography — and we still need at least decent performance in AF.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I really hope it’s not resolution for the sake of it. When the 5DSR was released I hired it alongside the D810 and always picked up the D810. You got a few less megapixels but the files were much cleaner. Better low light performance, better dynamic range and less noise.

At the same view or print size the 5Dsr has cleaner files than the D810 throughout its ISO range. Note that in most image editors when you view files side by side at the same percentage the higher MP file is enlarged more.

The D810 does have a significant DR advantage at base ISO.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I guess it will face the same situation as the Canon EOS 5DSR. Everybody was so excited and when it was released people and internet reviews were like "Wait Canon, what did you do to the dynamic range?"

No one was saying that. The 5Dsr had the highest DR of any Canon camera released up until that point. Even reviewers who normally hammered Canon on DR, like Tony Northrup, made note of the fact that while the 5Dsr was still behind Sony and Nikon on DR, it had decent DR. Especially when you traded some resolution for NR in the shadows.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It's so funny. Canon is always trashed for their lack of innovation and being so conservative. And yet, if they come out with a camera that is innovative and not at all conservative and they are trashed for that as well. Says little about Canon and lots about the trolling nature of forum dwellers.
Wow. Unless there is universal agreement, out comes the "t" word. Thanks. Nicely elevating the thread.

I have nothing against the concept of a well done 75 MP camera, except perhaps for the file size, which we'll be adapting to sooner or later.

The main point though, with high MP announcements, is that many of us who don't lust after more MP are just hoping Canon comes out with a great, well rounded successor to the 5D IV, likely RF at this point, which has excellent low-light performance, fast FPS, top of class AF, and video features that make sense.

Maybe in a perfect forum world, only people actually interested in a 75 MP camera as Canon's next big thing would participate in the thread. But that would be on another planet, not a place where normal humans reasonably wonder if Canon could try to address the basics at 50 MP before producing another higher MP niche body.

If you are willing to spend the money on a 75 MP body, it would be nice, not required, just nice, if you could in a calm and friendly way explain why. Many here do, but others seem to get angry at anything other than cheerleading.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I notice that when Canon releases a new high res body (such as the 5Ds) this argument of storage space gets trotted out all the time, but when Nikon releases the D850, or Sony the A7R3, no body bats an eyelid.

Along the same lines, a Canon high resolution sensor must be horrible at high ISO, right? 5Ds/sr reviewers who were stuck pixel peeping said exactly this. Reviewers who actually tried printing files (i.e. same view size) found that the 5Ds/sr were two of the best high ISO cameras out there (2015), despite Canon artificially capping them to 12,800. (Really should have been 25,600.)

But even with Sony/Nikon that speaks to the general myth that lower resolution = better high ISO. For stills I've found the exact opposite when comparing files from all three manufacturers, low and high resolution bodies, all at the same view size. That last part is critical.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I notice that when Canon releases a new high res body (such as the 5Ds) this argument of storage space gets trotted out all the time, but when Nikon releases the D850, or Sony the A7R3, no body bats an eyelid.

In three years of shooting with the 5DS, I have produced 700GB (and that is without clearing out the rubbish) - hardly hard drive armageddon!
I bring it up all the time - not just storage but the time to transfer a card.

If a file is 50MB and an afternoon shoot can be 500-1000 photos, do the math :)

I was not being facetious about storage costs. I just bought 4x 2TB SSDs for photography data storage, replacing a couple of hdd, and a pile of 1tb and a 500gb ssd. I realize that this is not as big a problem for some people, but I do know that there are others who accumulate 5TB++ every year -and we're talking 30MP and less cameras.

Upvote 0
I bring it up all the time - not just storage but the time to transfer a card.

If a file is 50MB and an afternoon shoot can be 500-1000 photos, do the math :)
50MB is almost the minimum size - I have seen raw files upto 90MB from the 5DS (can probbbly go larger still). It can take a few minutes to move the images off the card, but it's not a big deal.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
If release a 75 mp camera it would certainly have uncropped 4K (maybe downsamped from 6K).
My guess is that might be 4 FF mirrorlesses coming next year.
High end models as follows:
1.1d/5DSR type camera with 75 mp and 4K uncroppped. 5 or $5.5k
2. 5 DSR/ 5D type camera with 50 mp with 4k. $4.5k maybe $5k
Lower end models as follows:
3. 6d/7d type ff/w crop mode 26mp with 4K. $1800
4. 7d/80D or (90D)type camera only in ff 24 mp w/4K uncropped or possibly cropped only in crop mode. $1600

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I really want to see a 5dsr 2 come out, hopefully mirrorless. I do like high resolution bodies, and with the new RF lenses this should be a great combo. I really hope though that they can pull this off with DR at least as good as the 5D4. I was hoping for something around 50 mp, basically a mirrorless 5dsr. And although storage is cheaper than ever, 75 mp files would be just crazy large. So maybe just making a really, really good 50 mp sensor in a more 5d-like R body would not be such a bad idea. I think that’s what a lot of us 5dsr owners would go for. Or maybe just me.

Upvote 0
Are you presuming that manufacturing a new non-DPAF sensor will be so much cheaper than DPAF, that production will recoup the development cost? Color me skeptical.

I'm not. Its been said that DPAF, by virtue to the fact that it forces the pixels to be smaller may hinder the image quality. I am hoping that at Dual Pixel Raw Mode is more usable on future cameras. I may start using it more on my 5D4.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Wow. Unless there is universal agreement, out comes the "t" word. Thanks. Nicely elevating the thread.

I have nothing against the concept of a well done 75 MP camera, except perhaps for the file size, which we'll be adapting to sooner or later.

The main point though, with high MP announcements, is that many of us who don't lust after more MP are just hoping Canon comes out with a great, well rounded successor to the 5D IV, likely RF at this point, which has excellent low-light performance, fast FPS, top of class AF, and video features that make sense.

Maybe in a perfect forum world, only people actually interested in a 75 MP camera as Canon's next big thing would participate in the thread. But that would be on another planet, not a place where normal humans reasonably wonder if Canon could try to address the basics at 50 MP before producing another higher MP niche body.

If you are willing to spend the money on a 75 MP body, it would be nice, not required, just nice, if you could in a calm and friendly way explain why. Many here do, but others seem to get angry at anything other than cheerleading.

No offence, but you obviously did not understand my post.

I'll put it more simply. People trash Canon for not being innovative and for being conservative. And now, on this thread, people trash Canon for being too innovative and not conservative enough. So people are trashing Canon regardless. If all you do is trash Canon regardless of what they do, I would consider that to be trolling. Got it?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I was hoping for something around 50 mp, basically a mirrorless 5dsr. And although storage is cheaper than ever, 75 mp files would be just crazy large. So maybe just making a really, really good 50 mp sensor in a more 5d-like R body would not be such a bad idea. I think that’s what a lot of us 5dsr owners would go for. Or maybe just me.

I think you're correct. I was also hoping they would leave the sensor at 50 mp and work on cleaning up noise and adding a little dynamic range. At 50 mp Canon would still be leading in resolution for full frame cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0