Canon EOS R3 and Canon EOS R5 to receive new firmware next week

Interesting. Can you please tell me what is the crop factor on R5 while shooting 4k video? Thank you, I would be checking here often for your reply. Thanking you!
I don't mean to be dense but you do have google and a multitude of search engines that will give you your answer almost right away, rather then to have to wait for someone to respond to you.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Firmware for R3 is also up on Italian site.

Release note (Google translated) is a bit longer than for R5:

Firmware version 1.2.0 includes the following improvements and fixes:
1. Adds the ability to set "Custom Continuous Shooting" functionality in drive mode. A burst of between 2 and 50 continuous shots can be taken at a speed between 30 and 195 fps.
2. Adds the ability to select the "FHD 239.76 fps / 200.00 fps" option under "High Frame Rate".
3. 1- Adds the ability to choose the "Depth Composition" option in the camera during "Focus Bracketing".
2- Adds focus bracketing and depth composition with a flash (Speedlite El-1).
4. Adds the ability to record time-lapse movies. Note: The time-lapse movie setting is retained even if the camera enters the auto-off state before starting time-lapse movie recording.
5. Adds RAW image processing functionality in the cloud. RAW processing with the latest image processing technology is possible. This is a paid service that requires the purchase of the Canon Imaging App Service Plan available starting July 25, 2022.
6. Adds the ability to convert multiple HEIF images to multiple JPEG images.
7. Adds the ability to set the [Still Image Crop / Aspect / Ratio / Still Image Crop] option to [Custom Controls]. The assigned button can be used to toggle between crop and aspect ratio.
8. Adds the ability to crop and resize images when transferring to an FTP server.
9. 802.1X / WPA2-Enterprise authentication now supports the PKCS # 12 certificate format.
10. Adds an electronic shutter shutter sound to be played when the mechanical or electronic first curtain shutter is set.
11. Improves the performance of the "Movie Digital IS" feature. Stabilize the image when taking selfies or shooting on the go using a wide angle lens.
12. Adds [Auto Power Off Temp .: Standard / High / Auto Temp Off: Standard / High] option to the shooting menu.
13. Resolves an issue showing error code 70 on the camera, which can occur, in rare cases, when the [Avail. Performance / Display Performance] is set to [Smooth].
14. Correction of minor problems.

Upvote 0
Okay, so first post, but I'm pretty excited about the new firmware :) I took the plunge and made the update for my R5 with the file from the Italian site.

I'm especially curious about the new heat power off setting - it could be a game changer. I just set the camera to 8k raw and the timer displayed the usual 15:00 minutes you get in that setting. After changing the heat power off to "High", the timer jumped to 29:59 and for now, it's been running for 25 minutes without even displaying a heat warning.

Edit: 35 Minutes, still no overheating warning :oops: And this is 8k raw we're talking about. Awesome.

Edit 2: Had to format my card after 40 Minutes. Afterwards, the timer was right back to 29:59. Ladies and gentlemen, I think overheating on the R5 is a thing of the past. But holy hell, the body gets hot to the touch.

Edit 3: Threw in 5 Minutes of 4k120 (after 45 Minutes of 8k raw!), still no warning, I can still record in all modes. However, they are not joking about the heat. I almost burnt my fingers on the CFexpress card. Not sure if I am really comfortable with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
‘The norm’ is changing. More media content is consumed on mobile devices than on televisions, that’s been true since 2019 and the gap is widening.

I’d be happy share the data with you…what’s your fax number? ;)

Great! send me a pic of your Vertical screen laptop and Vertical home monitor! Oh might as well throw your vertical TV in there as well!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Is the R5's AF not doing it for you? What type of photography are you missing with it?
I asked a simple, direct question about what are the improvements in the R7 over the R5 in response to a comment that the R7 had improvements in AF, and did not make any comment or indication that I was finding the AF of the R5 inadequate or anything was missing for my purposes. So, I don’t understand your post.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I asked a simple, direct question about what are the improvements in the R7 over the R5 in response to a comment that the R7 had improvements in AF, and did not make any comment or indication that I was finding the AF of the R5 inadequate or anything was missing for my purposes. So, I don’t understand your post.
In response to @mpmark, this may help:
1658425074055.png

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Hi Alan, my understanding is that the main difference between the AF systems is:

R5/R6 - eye-AF tracking only operates in full area AF mode. The camera decides where in the frame there is an eye, and tracks it across the whole frame area. If there is more than one face/eye in the frame, and the camera chooses the wrong one, you have to manually move the AF spot over the other eye/face.

R7/R3 - eye-AF tracking also operates in the various zone AF modes. Thus you can restrict the area within which the camera searches for an eye. I'm not sure whether the subject is then only tracked within that zone, or whether it works the same way as in Sony cameras, tracking it across the whole frame.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Alan, my understanding is that the main difference between the AF systems is:

R5/R6 - eye-AF tracking only operates in full area AF mode. The camera decides where in the frame there is an eye, and tracks it across the whole frame area. If there is more than one face/eye in the frame, and the camera chooses the wrong one, you have to manually move the AF spot over the other eye/face.

R7/R3 - eye-AF tracking also operates in the various zone AF modes. Thus you can restrict the area within which the camera searches for an eye. I'm not sure whether the subject is then only tracked within that zone, or whether it works the same way as in Sony cameras, tracking it across the whole frame.
Thanks. Someone else answered that and I replied to the effect that I had tried zone focus on the R7 but it was no better than using full area mode with the R5. TBH, I like keeping things simple and having just full-area tracking with eyeAF on one back button and spot focus without tracking on another back button, which fulfills just about all of my needs. I realise I could do a lot more customization but I can survive with that and modes C1-C3. Maybe, it's a reason why I don't experience freezes. ;)

Upvote 0