Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

Jan 29, 2011
I think Neuro said that the current situation (EF only) with having to use huge filters in front of 11-24 (or using gelatin filters) is a handicap. In EF mode! (DSLR/EF lens).

But when using the TS-E with a mirrorless camera he can choose the canon EF-R adapter that gives the possibility to add filters between the EF lens and Canon mirrorless camera so giving the capability to get rid of the giant front filters. So a TS-E lens with a Canon EOS R camera becomes a more interesting and versatile combination.
I’ve been saying for a long time one of the real benefits of the R bodies for my personal use is the ability to use the filter adapter with my EF 11-24, 15mm, and TS-E 17. I only need a CPL and occasionally ND filters so the ability to use one adapter and two small filters is a massive bonus for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Maybe this is not to forewarn Sony and Nikon to put their design teams on overtime? Reading the rumor of 45mp has already got my credit card whimpering and it's harder to pull it out of my wallet. Would I ditch my year old R5 to gain look at something focus and the new sensor? Maybe? At least I won't have to buy all new lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I’ve been saying for a long time one of the real benefits of the R bodies for my personal use is the ability to use the filter adapter with my EF 11-24, 15mm, and TS-E 17. I only need a CPL and occasionally ND filters so the ability to use one adapter and two small filters is a massive bonus for me.
I would like to take the opportunity and ask for your experience: Is a polarizer a safe choice when using UWA lenses? I mean I read that some part of the sky will be polarized and some less or not at all. This would create a not so appealing photo.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

eosbob

Motorsports Photographer
I think 45MP would be wrong for this camera. 30 MP would be the perfect amount for everyone already on the 1D-X's. The majority of us Sports shooters don't care about the video aspect, and if your shooting video, you're most likely using the R6, R5, C70, C700 or something else. We don't need 8K! 4K is plenty. How many people have 8K TV's? Hell, 2K still looks great on your TV, Phone and computers
I really hope this is no more than 30MP.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I would like to take the opportunity and ask for your experience: Is a polarizer a safe choice when using UWA lenses? I mean I read that some part of the sky will be polarized and some less or not at all. This would create a not so appealing photo.
Generally not in a single shot scenario, but I use them in interior design shots to control reflections off shiny surfaces like counter tops etc, my second most common use is reflections off water in swimming pools. So I am probably an atypical user.

I do understand what people are saying about patchy sky’s when they use a CPL, but I rarely create a standout image from a single shot. So, for instance, I might take shots with and without a CPL then use the foliage from the CPL shot and use the sky from the shot without the CPL.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
BTW peeps, it is going to be 30mpix I am pretty sure. What sports photographer wants 45mpix, that will only take more time to process.
But for me as an all-rounder 45mpix hi-speed pro body would be the best I could ever wish for. So I am keeping my fingers crossed...

Well, just thinking on a different level.

As camera tech has increased....so has computing power of the photographer. Storage is quite cheap these days, and computers now come stock with really good CPUs and GPU's, and can be upgraded for not that much more $$ if you want.

I would posit that larger files no longer necessarily have penalties for taking up too much room or taking "more time to process" than their older smaller file cameras with older slower computers available.

I would say with more powerful computers with cheaper storage being available that pro level cameras would be configured so as to take advantage of the new norms of the day...?

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Maybe the secret feature will be an AF that focusses on other body parts than eyes. The would come handy for "glamour" photography.
Well, this R3 was rumored earlier to have tracking based on the eye movement of the photographer.

So, whatever the photographers eye was looking at, would be the focus point.

Hence....what you said would be a definite possibility.

Ugh, I'm guessing many a shot with this thing, will have most of the womens' eyes out of focus....

<BAEG>

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I wrote a while back that I believed Canon would make this camera higher than the R5. I still believe that is something possible. If it isn't and it turns out that it's only 45 megs I'm good with this. The big talking point I see so many people writing about is the video. I personally would be ok with only 4k.

I don't see why one camera has to have everything that you want in it. I know many people who shot with the EOS 5S and 5SR. Those cameras didn't do 4k and they were 50 meg cameras.

If I were the one making this camera for Canon it would be 50-60 megs 30 fps Dual CFexpress card slots and 4K video. More than enough to do what I would want for some time to come.

Let me know what you think.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I think 45MP would be wrong for this camera. 30 MP would be the perfect amount for everyone already on the 1D-X's. The majority of us Sports shooters don't care about the video aspect, and if your shooting video, you're most likely using the R6, R5, C70, C700 or something else. We don't need 8K! 4K is plenty. How many people have 8K TV's? Hell, 2K still looks great on your TV, Phone and computers
I want 8k. Sir.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I really hope it is more. Hell.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
By "rumors have strongly suggested" TechRadar means "something that somebody made up". They don't even mention that name of a rumor site that suggested that.
Reminds me of an academic publication ‘translator’.

“It is believed that…” = “I think…”
“It is widely believed that…” = “Me and one of my colleagues think…”
“A representative example is shown.” = “The best example is shown.”
Etc…

Since the 1DX is 20MP, it makes sense for the R3 to be 30MP. This is an R3, not an R1.
It makes sense for the R1 to be ~30 MP. If you’re a 1-series user, is the R3 your update?

Plus, the EOS 3 had the same resolution as the EOS 1, so there’s that. :LOL:

• Haha
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I would never use the GPS coordinates of a camera, because they show the location of the photographer, which does not really matter. If I geotag a photo manually, it gets the coordinates of the subject. Imagine you take a photo of the Eiffel Tower. Than it should have the coordinates of the Eiffel Tower, even if you took the photo from a kilometre away. Otherwise people who search by location will not find your photo.

PS: By the way, a really smart camera could even do that. It would know its location and it knows the distance from the subject you focus on.
Only if it also contains a compass. Your location and range aren't enough, you need direction too.

EDIT: Unless, of course you're looking straight up, as Neuroanatomist pointed out!

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Only if it also contains a compass. Your location and range aren't enough, you need direction too.

EDIT: Unless, of course you're looking straight up, as Neuroanatomist pointed out!
I remember for the 1D X Canon offered an external GPS receive "GP-E1" for around $300 that you could attach to the camera. That one included a compass. So I thought that the built-in versions are at least as advanced as that one. There was an even larger one, the "GP-E2" for the flash hot shoe.

Upvote 0