Canon EOS R3 to have a 30mp sensor? [CR1]

Sep 17, 2014
Canon Headquarters: “Hey guys, let’s build a new Pro Mirrorless camera after Somy has gone mirrorless 3 years ago. Let’s make an R5 with 45 megapixels. And then we make a mirrorless body for Pro’s. Yeah! Let’s make that 30 megapixel! Yeah!” Eh... why would you downgrade on megapixels whilst the sensor is already built? Canon, what are you doing?? Saving the 45 megapixel sensor for the R1?
JUST GIVE US A DESCENT KICK A** 45 MEGAPIXEL PRO BODY WITH DUAL HIGH SPEED CARD SLOTS NOW! WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR 3 DAMN YEARS!

Which sensor is already built? This is going to be Canon's first stacked sensor.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This excites me because in 4 years the R6 MKII will recycle this sweet 30mp BSI sensor and be the EOS R MKII in disguise that everyone truly wants
You worded my thoughts perfectly :) I love my R despite a few flaws and I’d looooooooooove a Mark II Version that’s exactly that:
- 30mp
- r6 auto focus
- r6 fps
- r6 control dial

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What would be the cheapest country to buy a camera? Canada, the UK, some Asian country, India? If Corona is over, I would be willing to travel anywhere, if that saves me more money than the flight costs. Of course that is only possible with a global warranty.

I remember that the Sony A9 was quite cheap in the Sony store in Shanghai. It was 32,000 Yuan in 2017. Canon also has a store there, but I am not sure about the prices.
Corona isn't over. Not by a long shot.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Upgrade from 30mp to 20mp??!! At first, I thought you were joking!
But now that I know you are serious, I have a nice 5mp "SUPER upgrade" that I can sell you if you are interested! :p
I upgraded from 22 to 20. Never happier. 9 years of improvements from the 5D3 based upon the 1DX3 with the R6 shows us that sensor rez is not the solitary spec to base your buying decisions.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Yes, I do not understand why the R3 has two different cards. For professionals it is quite annoying to have two different cards for redundancy and if one of them is slower, redundant writing to both cards can only go as fast as the slower card can handle it. Imagine you really want to write 30 images per second in RAW+JPEG to both cards. Can the SD card in the R3 do it? Of course it could also write on the faster card first and then copy it to the slower card directly after the shutter is released. But that would be risky if the faster card is already faulty.

Maybe we will even see an R2 released together with the R1 like the R6 that was released with the R5.
Okay I see this often and don't get it. I have the R5 and I like that I have the split cards. How would I ever out run the buffer for RAW photos on a UHS II SD card? Has anyone? I shoot redundant with no issues. I guess the only criticism I could see is the inability to record redundant video, but most complaints I see focus on slowing down the RAW image buffer which I don't get. I like being able to invest my money in both formats. If both the R5 slots were CFExpress it would have effectively made it a one card slot camera for me for a good while.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I would personally rather have a “true”
20FPS with 45mp then 30mp with 30fps
I shoot professional alpine ski racing and having the extra cropping potential is a game changer.
Oh well looks like the R3 is going to be 30mp
Not sure how Canon can price this with theses specs when compared to the Sony A1

Congratulations, you described an R5

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I think 30MP is a good resolution for this type of camera body. I think that a new BSI 30MP sensor will probably have a better image quality than the year-old FSI 45MP R5 sensor. There will be lots of other things improved to make it a much in-demand body. The high price will reflect this, so those that can afford it will be happy and the rest can be happy with the R5 or less expensive options.

I'll wait to see the in-hand reviews before knowing if I would get the R3 as a 2nd body. The feature I really want (more than any others) is a QP sensor, with a massive improvement in all types of AF over the already great (but not perfect) R5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wrote about the two card situation before, but since it’s been brought up again I’ll mention is again.. there are slots that are dual, in that they will accept either of these two cards. While maybe unlikely, because I’m not sure of the production numbers of these, it’s always possible that Canon could/would use these, to allow different combinations of cards.
Are you talking about the combined CFe type A/SD card slot that the A1 has? Type A cards are prohibitively expensive and hard to get and only made by Sony at this time. Canon and others use Type B cards which are physically larger, been available for longer, faster, and have multiple manufacturers.

Can you point to an example for a combined SD card/CFe Type B slot?

Upvote 0
What would be the cheapest country to buy a camera? Canada, the UK, some Asian country, India? If Corona is over, I would be willing to travel anywhere, if that saves me more money than the flight costs. Of course that is only possible with a global warranty.

I remember that the Sony A9 was quite cheap in the Sony store in Shanghai. It was 32,000 Yuan in 2017. Canon also has a store there, but I am not sure about the prices.
Australia has the local 5 year Canon warranty which seems to be unique around the world. You would need to return it locally to receive the service if faulty.
Australia GST is 10% which can be reclaimed at the airport for non-residents returning home. Pricing includes the 10% GST by default.
Sales of 10-20% off recommended retail price from resellers are common. Best at the moment is
https://www.camerapro.com.au/9584-canon-eos-r5-mirrorless-camera.html
with exchange rate on credit card to be ~1AUD:0.61EUR
Good luck getting in though as we have avoided covid infections with mandatory 2 weeks inbound strict quarantine at individual cost of ~AUD3k.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I guess it shows how good the A1 is to do 50MP at 30fps. Unlike you, I haven't felt it with the A7RIV. I just can't seem to get the AF settings right, and the RIV doesn't mate well with the 100-600G lens. By contrast, the Nikon Z9 promises to be 40-50MP and 20fps. To be honest, I'm okay with 20fps as long as the resolution is decently high. However, if the Z9 doesn't tick all the other boxes, then I'll either have to hope for a high-resolution stacked-sensor Canon camera (I too am pessimistic that the R1 will be high-resolution), or give the A1 another look.
Interesting, I've heard others that are also not happy with the A7RIV and the 200-600. Personally that lens is nearly always on the A7RIV and my 100-400 has been sitting in the bag. This is mostly due to the fact that I'm nearly always needing longer than 400mm and still need to crop. This combo is not quite as sharp as the Canon R5 with the 500 f/4 but it is such a versatile range in a reasonably light weight package.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
It is kinda sad that we don't talk about DR anymore. That's all we used to do even a couple of years ago and it was so much fun. Those were the golden days of CR.
I think because the incremental improvements in DR are approaching real limits.
I used to shoot a lot of HDR brackets but now find myself shooting at most three frames and often just one. The files from all my cameras since the MkIV have shown splendid flexibility in the lifting of shadows and the flattening of highlights. I can get results very close to an HDR blend from a single file.

Of course, extreme brightness ranges still demand a bracketed set but then any camera on the market would also need that. Even the sainted 16bit MF sensors.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
[Eye roll]
Roll them at Japan, India, etc. Don't smack your head on the floor as it follows your eyes backwards. Nearly 70% of my state's population either refuses to get it or can't find their way to a clinic to get it. When the new, more aggressive, strains make it here... back to square one. I've lost a family member to it. Another family member will be on oxygen for the rest of her life, 5 other members have had it. I have a sister-in-law with cancer. She's in a state with very similar demographics as mine. So don't roll your eyes. Don't joke about it. It isn't over.

• Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Roll them at Japan, India, etc. Don't smack your head on the floor as it follows your eyes backwards. Nearly 70% of my state's population either refuses to get it or can't find their way to a clinic to get it. When the new, more aggressive, strains make it here... back to square one. I've lost a family member to it. Another family member will be on oxygen for the rest of her life, 5 other members have had it. I have a sister-in-law with cancer. She's in a state with very similar demographics as mine. So don't roll your eyes. Don't joke about it. It isn't over.
I'm sorry for your loss CFB buddy. I too had it hit home in a few manners. I will gladly do the simple and gracious thing to do (mask up) anytime. It's friendly, neighborly and patriotic. Anything less is partisan/sick religious nutcase level.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
My condolences (sincerely). I hope you have gotten the vaccines. We have them now, after hiding away for a year. While I now feel freed, I try not to talk too much about it as so many others in the world have not had the option to choose that we have had.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0