Canon EOS R3 to have a 30mp sensor? [CR1]

No this is for the larger cards.
I meant to add this to my reply after I mistakenly hit the post button.

I read an article about it around two months ago in one of my industry journals, which stated that production had begun on those connectors. That’s why I said that I didn’t know how production was going. I don’t remember where I read it, as I didn’t think much of it back then. If I see something I’ll report it here.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
In NYC there is a nice large camera store called "B&H". They have everything there. It is nice that you can see everything before you buy it. I remember when I spent almost $200 there for an 8GB memory card and that what a good deal back then :)

But I think if you arrive with an R3 in Germany, the box should not be in your luggage. Otherwise they know that you bought it there and then it gets really expensive. They never asked me about my 1D X though. I never had to prove that I bought in Germany.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Well, like most Sony specs, the 30 FPS are impressive on paper, but in real life shooting, you need to have the camera set just so, can't use tracking, must have compatable lenses, etc, to get it to work. Sony is smart, though. Almost every review or camera comparison says 30 FPS, which beats all the competition. They don't bother getting into all the requirements or circumstances where you won't get the 30 FPS. Other brands are probably catching on. have a spec that only works in a few situations, but looks great on a chart of specs or a YouTube review.
Like I said in my previous comment, I'm okay with 20fps and 40-50MP. Regardless, 50MP at 30fps even with caveats is damn impressive and is superior to the rumored specs for both Canon and Nikon's forthcoming pro-level offerings. What the Sony specs with caveats means is that you can expect at least 20-25fps with Sony lenses and on occasion hit the 30fps figure. That works just fine for me, and is still superior to the rumored R3 specs if you value high resolution(40-50MP is optimal for me; I don't want 60-80MP, but who's asking for my opinion?). However, if the Nikon Z9 hits 40MP at 20fps, I'll give it a hard look. I prefer Nikon ergonomics and a unigrip design over the Sony. Choices are wonderful, but I may just find that none of the pro-level bodies are sufficiently better than my R5 to make me swipe my credit card.

Upvote 0
Well, like most Sony specs, the 30 FPS are impressive on paper, but in real life shooting, you need to have the camera set just so, can't use tracking, must have compatable lenses, etc, to get it to work. Sony is smart, though. Almost every review or camera comparison says 30 FPS, which beats all the competition. They don't bother getting into all the requirements or circumstances where you won't get the 30 FPS. Other brands are probably catching on. have a spec that only works in a few situations, but looks great on a chart of specs or a YouTube review.
30FPS is really not that hard to achieve with the A1. I can get it in Tracking mode...not that Tracking mode is the ideal mode anyways for fast subjects you might want 30FPS for....but still it gets 30FPS in my testing. Otherwise 90%+ of Sony native lenses support 30FPS. Certainly any Sony lens you'd ever use for a subject that needs 30FPS. The only real caveat is you need to shoot Compressed RAW. I've never shot anything but on any Sony camera and I shoot CRAW on R5. No issues when everything I shoot is dual-gain ISO or higher. If any of those things are an issue then switch it down to 20 or 15 or 10 or 5. Or you can buy an R5 and be forced to shoot 20FPS ES for everything. Of course 12FPS MS is an option if you install a solar panel to keep the battery charged enough to get 12FPS.
From what I see in reviews the Alpha 1 can't actually focus at 30fps on a fast moving subject so the 30fps is just marketing fluff and unusable unless you want to shoot 30fps of a static subject !
A crop sensor 30mp R7 would give you more pixel density if it ever comes out
I can get 30FPS on my A1 on fast moving subjects all day long. I have saved 70-150 image sequences and converted them into GIFs. I double check each time the detailed time stamps and it hits 30 every time I've checked. It is certainly not marketing fluff.

But this is a Canon site so I'm not sure why people really care what the A1 can or cannot do? I've owned most higher end Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras. I shoot what is best at the time and sell it once it isn't getting used because I've started liking something else. I enjoy testing new gear.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
What would be the cheapest country to buy a camera? Canada, the UK, some Asian country, India? If Corona is over, I would be willing to travel anywhere, if that saves me more money than the flight costs. Of course that is only possible with a global warranty.

I remember that the Sony A9 was quite cheap in the Sony store in Shanghai. It was 32,000 Yuan in 2017. Canon also has a store there, but I am not sure about the prices.
You could just buy the camera grey market or buy it off a local who you trust.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I can live with 30MP if the AF is a clear upgrade form th already excellent R5. Disappointed it isn't a little higher, 36MP would have been excellent, but as long at it's not 20-24MP that'll ok. Just wish they'd do a lens roadmap and tell us when the 500 f/4 and 300 f/2.8 are coming.
The CR1 says around 30 MP

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I don't think you get me here. I am not complaining. I am stating that the maximum FPS on cameras, even the 1DX has always required multiple conditions to be met. The R5 FPS does slow down when the battery remaining drops and you mention this yourself https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...e-r5-and-electronic-shutter.39310/post-869112 and we have cameras like the 1DxIII that gets 20 FPS with the mirror up. The list of conditions is not aimed at any specific camera nor brand.
The fps of mechanical shutter depends significantly on battery charge (and type of battery) but not the fps of electronic shutter.

Upvote 0
From what I see in reviews the Alpha 1 can't actually focus at 30fps on a fast moving subject so the 30fps is just marketing fluff and unusable unless you want to shoot 30fps of a static subject !
A crop sensor 30mp R7 would give you more pixel density if it ever comes out
So true on the Sony A1, 30fps is mostly marketing fluff...

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
But this is a Canon site so I'm not sure why people really care what the A1 can or cannot do?
Well, if we could get similar performance with adapted EF lenses then these cameras would be a lot more attractive.
I used to dabble in Sony land but most of the improvements since then only benefit native lenses.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I don't understand why they wouldn't go with 2 CFExpress B cards. Can SD cards really keep up with 30 fps? People purchasing this camera will want speed and no buffer. I get the cost difference but if you are buying a camera to use it for speed and at >5K, why use an SD card that will limit the speed of the camera. Body size shouldn't be a limitation.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Yep, people complained that the R6 had fewer MP than the R.
It is not really an upgrade to the RP either since the bodies are so different but I can see how people could make that argument.
I can't see how that argument can be made at all. Sure. If everything else remained the same and the mp were dropped, that would be a downgrade. But if mp drop and everything else improves then it is either an option or an upgrade. I lost pixel density going from my 7d2 to the R6 and I achieved a fantastic improvement in IQ in 90% of situations.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I don't understand why they wouldn't go with 2 CFExpress B cards. Can SD cards really keep up with 30 fps? People purchasing this camera will want speed and no buffer. I get the cost difference but if you are buying a camera to use it for speed and at >5K, why use an SD card that will limit the speed of the camera. Body size shouldn't be a limitation.
It is a bit silly to have it hampered by a SD card slot as backup. It's not like the body doesn't have the space for dual matching cards.

The main reason that they have different card slots is presumably to appeal to a broader audience, lots of people buying at this level surely have legacy cards from previous bodies. When I've upgraded in the past, I was glad to be able to use cards I had before (going from the 50D to 5D3, a CF, then later going to the 5Ds a high end SD). The other reason would presumably be lower cost. People are talking as if having unalike slots is because they can't, but it's clearly a deliberate decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0