Canon EOS R5, EOS R6, EOS-1D X Mark III, RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS & RF 100-500 f/4.5-5.6L IS firmware released

It means moving the focus ring will always change focus, seems obvious but with focus by wire it isn’t. Traditionally the manual focus ring is deactivated while the camera is trying to achieve AF and on some cameras needs a custom setting to activate MF even after focus has been achieved, like if the camera focused on the wrong part of the subject.
Ahhh, I see. I use back button focus so MF was always available.

For me, using the shutter release for AF was an invitation for mis-focus based on the AI (Artificial Imbecility) of the focusing algorithms.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ahhh, I see. I use back button focus so MF was always available.

For me, using the shutter release for AF was an invitation for mis-focus based on the AI (Artificial Imbecility) of the focusing algorithms.
I've said this before, but after seemingly a 100 years of muscle memory (actually only 20) I seem incapable of effective use of BBF, I have so many series of images where I never focused it is unreal! So I use back button focus off, so I idiot proof myself and if I think to deactivate the AF then I can. Works well for me but isn't a popular option.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I have installed the 1.3.0 firmware on my R5, but I'm not seeing all of the 'Video Rec Quality' options (e.g., RAW Light, 4K RAW) in the Red menu. I'm using a Lexar Professional 256GB 1750Mb/s CFExpress card, and I've tried in several video modes, including Manual Exposure, and C3.

Are there some settings dependencies which might be preventing the full set of Video Rec Quality options from showing up in the menu?
Disable Digital Stabilization and the RAW Formats will appear.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
My complaint really revolves around the R5 vs 1DX3. I am not fist shaking mad, but am annoyed Canon decided to offer a more capable camera for $2500 less and will not update the more expensive camera via firmware to at least match the cheaper one. I bought the 1dx when it came out. It is a great camera, but the auto focus with the r5 just kills it especially in video of animals, which I do a lot. The 1dx could be updated to keep their "flagship" competitive. I certainly have no complaints with the R5 or the update.
Well the 1Ds MkIII was much more seriously undercut by the 5D II. It is what it is, 1 series cameras biggest feature is and always has been dependability, so they have never been at the cutting edge of tech. Can you imagine the damage to their reputation in the pro world they'd have suffered if they had put the R5 sensor in the 1DX III?

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
What I've not seen talked about is that you can now configure the R5 to behave just like a DSLR.

A huge improvement to preserve battery life or for low light shooters who don't want the blinding display on all the time but also don't want to use th EVF for menus.

In "Shooting 7" under "Shooting info. disp." "Screen info. settings" there is now a setting 6 "Screen off". This makes the "info" button basically behave like the "LiveView" button on DSLRs. I guess this is what they meant with "LCD Backlight OFF option" in the change log?

In this mode, with the camera away from the eye, both Screen and EVF are off. Put to the eye the EVF instantly turns on. The display can be used for menus, image review etc, just like with a DSLR.

For me this is quite a game changer for extreme low light work where I now get the best of both worlds, and I'm looking forward to testing how that plays out for battery life. Yay!

Can anyone confirm this function was introduced with the 1.3.0 update? Is this function also available on the R6 now? Would be a shame if not since the R6 is an especilly capable low light beast.

Regards,
Robert
Thanks, Canon really hid that one

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I've said this before, but after seemingly a 100 years of muscle memory (actually only 20) I seem incapable of effective use of BBF, I have so many series of images where I never focused it is unreal! So I use back button focus off, so I idiot proof myself and if I think to deactivate the AF then I can. Works well for me but isn't a popular option.
I have never been a fan of BBF but with the R5 I am trying to train myself to use it, I have left meter and focus on the shutter button but have mapped dedicated single point and Eye Autofocus (animal) to the back buttons.

So far so good:)

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
@Canon Rumors Guy

Canon R6 firmware 1.3 has been pulled from Canon's website. No reason was stated as to why it was removed.
As I reported earlier in the thread it was pulled because there is a lock up in video mode when using crop and higher framerates. The Person at CPS was not the most clear on the repo steps.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Can you imagine the damage to their reputation in the pro world they'd have suffered if they had put the R5 sensor in the 1DX III?
R6 also overheats and it has the exact same sensor and image processor as the 1DX III.
The 4K on the 1DX III is clearly not as sharp as the R6.
The 5.5K RAW is exquisite but takes a lot less processing to accomplish.
1DX III is also a lot bigger and has a heatsink.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I would love to see what kind of low light you are working in that the R5's noise performance becomes an issue.

There comes a point where you have to actually light a scene, expecting a camera to shoot in pitch black isn't really practical.
I feel it is unfair to call the R5 lowlight performance bad but R6 is a lot better.
R6 has the same sensor as the 1DX III.
I really want to see R6 vs A7S3 or FX3 but it seems like nobody has such a combination.

Upvote 0
I feel it is unfair to call the R5 lowlight performance bad but R6 is a lot better.
R6 has the same sensor as the 1DX III.
I really want to see R6 vs A7S3 or FX3 but it seems like nobody has such a combination.

Not sure what you mean by "a lot better", as R6 low light is not more than a third or a half stop better max.

Upvote 0
Well the 1Ds MkIII was much more seriously undercut by the 5D II. It is what it is, 1 series cameras biggest feature is and always has been dependability, so they have never been at the cutting edge of tech. Can you imagine the damage to their reputation in the pro world they'd have suffered if they had put the R5 sensor in the 1DX III?
You make a good point, but man I was hoping for some AF tweaks based on the R5/R6. I really want to stick with the 1dx for video, but the R5 is kicking it pretty hard on the animals.

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by "a lot better", as R6 low light is not more than a third or a half stop better max.
In video mode both cameras are very similar up until about 12800 ISO and after that point the R6 video has noticeably less noise. At least that was the finding in this side by side comparison:

Upvote 0
R6 also overheats and it has the exact same sensor and image processor as the 1DX III.
The 4K on the 1DX III is clearly not as sharp as the R6.
The 5.5K RAW is exquisite but takes a lot less processing to accomplish.
1DX III is also a lot bigger and has a heatsink.
Are you sure about that? I would like to compare them, because the HQ 4k on the 1dx3 is pretty sharp. I don't see a huge difference between it and the R5 4k

Upvote 0
I have never been a fan of BBF but with the R5 I am trying to train myself to use it, I have left meter and focus on the shutter button but have mapped dedicated single point and Eye Autofocus (animal) to the back buttons.

So far so good:)
Set the normal focus as a single point or single point with assist. Set the AF ON button to enable eye AF. When you hold in the AFON eye AF is engaged when you release it goes back to the default single point. I find it easier than BBF. Milage may vary.

Upvote 0
1 series (post the 1DSiii) tended to have the best video features. 5.5k raw was top line billing until the R5 and that was only because of the 45mp sensor allowing 8K.
If you mean "pro world" to be solely stills then adding the 16fps shutter to the R5 electricals within a 1D body with dual processors and I believe that the pro world would have accepted it. Perhaps the pro-sports workflow can handle cRaw and HEIF formats vs ~20mp raw/jpg in the future.

The Z9 and A1 both have 8K so minimum 45mp sensors. My guess is that the R1 will also have this size sensor. Canon can clearly handle the data flow especially if they can share the processing load between 2 processors like previous 1D series have. What I don't understand is why the A1 has >45mp.... downsampling from 8.1K to 8k seems to be an unnecessary waste of processing power.

Upvote 0