Canon EOS R5 impressions by a Canon EOS 5Ds shooter

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Keith Cooper from Northlight Images gives his impressions of the Canon EOS R5. Keith shoots a ton of architectural photography and uses tilt-shifts for a lot of his work.
Keith gives many positives about the Canon EOS R5, but his conclusion may surprise you.
I really like the clear viewfinder and image stabilisation of the R5. The image quality is a step up from the 5Ds – not massive, but it’s there.
The handling is good, and autofocus seems to meet any needs I’d have. Exposure seems accurate and unphased by shift, tilt, or any old optics I might attach. Those RF lenses were rather nice.
The rear screen is clear with lots of detail. The top screen is readable without my glasses.
Control layout is familiar to me – no problems once I’m used to it.
You can watch the video above or checkout the written review over at Northlight Images...

Continue reading...

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Not a compelling enough upgrade for him and what he does.

Which is a perfectly valid assessment, and he was very careful to qualify it.

I'd say as a reviewer he has the right attitude, he tells you up front he has a very particular use case and doesn't trash the camera without qualification, just because it isn't exactly right for him. And he thinks its a good camera, just not enough of a leap upwards. He is comparing it to a somewhat "niche" 5Ds, though. Comparing a general use camera to a niche one, in reality the 5R came out pretty well. I get the impression he might go for it, if he had to choose one of the two today--it's just that it's not worth the cost to buy as a second camera, having already paid for the other one.

The (rumored) high res version coming out will probably be worth his while, as he says.

If I were Canon, I could live with a nominally "negative" review like this!

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
This is accurate for many photographers. Usability it is a huge jump for most dslr, with Evf and smaller size , but the IQ is not game changing. This is why Canon leaned in on the 8k. There is just much more artistic frontier in video than stills at this point.

Love my Canons, I’m interested to see the difference whenever my R5 ships.

Upvote 0
Thanks for mentioning this! - I was very aware that I'm not looking at what a lot of reviews cover for this camera, but then again I know that people who do work like I do (architecture/industrial and landscape) often feel that reviews are full of tons of stuff they're not so bothered with (video overheating ;-) )

If I didn't have the 5Ds I would indeed be very happy with the R5. Add in the option of a polariser in the adapter (which I also tested) and I'm looking forward to a full time move to mirrorless (next year?)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Thanks for mentioning this! - I was very aware that I'm not looking at what a lot of reviews cover for this camera, but then again I know that people who do work like I do (architecture/industrial and landscape) often feel that reviews are full of tons of stuff they're not so bothered with (video overheating ;-) )

If I didn't have the 5Ds I would indeed be very happy with the R5. Add in the option of a polariser in the adapter (which I also tested) and I'm looking forward to a full time move to mirrorless (next year?)
When you get to know a system and its lenses well, you can get more out of it that those who don’t bother to study what their system can do. So a newer camera, and lenses, may feel good, but slightly uncomfortable. The extra effort to accommodate oneself to the new system may seem to be more than worthwhile. As you say, to you, the increase in IQ is good, but not drastic. Possibly the hi rez version we keep reading about might make that extra effort worthwhile. Canon has stated that their new R lenses will resolve to over 100MP.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
There are two main advantages of the R5 over the 5Ds, that, in some ways, are not relevant to this review: 1) the AF system which got a huge upgrade in terms of folowing live moving objects and 2) much faster shooting speed up to 20fps, (I can also add that the ISO range of the R5 is exceeding that of the 5Ds). Hoever, for still objects I don't see a huge difference as Keith have noted. But when you deal with moving objects, the advnaced AF system is vrey important.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
There are two main advantages of the R5 over the 5Ds, that, in some ways, are not relevant to this review: 1) the AF system which got a huge upgrade in terms of folowing live moving objects and 2) much faster shooting speed up to 20fps, (I can also add that the ISO range of the R5 is exceeding that of the 5Ds). Hoever, for still objects I don't see a huge difference as Keith have noted. But when you deal with moving objects, the advnaced AF system is vrey important.
Precisely. I can do most of what I want to do using my old 5DSR, and I am keeping it as a back up. But, the R5 allows me to some action shots I couldn’t get of birds and insects in flight or tracking them, and using the eyeAF is a real plus for focussing live subjects.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
If I'm right (please correct me if not !!!), a small R5 advantage is the ability for home-sensor -cleaning.
I forget where I've read it, but it seems the 5Dds sensor can only be cleaned by Canon, due to its fragile protective-glass.
Is that really so? Please comment. Thank you.
PS: this witheld me from buying a used 5 Dsr (still prefer OVFs...).

Upvote 0
A nice review Keith. Much more trust worthy than a professional camera reviwere's opinions. I hear what you are saying about battery life. The ability to use ND or Polarisers with a TS-e 17 or fisheye is a game changer for my landscape work. The EVF does offer what you see is what you get DOF...DSLR's optical VF are DOF limited to f4 (due to the microlenses on the viewfinder screen). Flare, ghosting and sunstars are more reliably seen in mirrorless than DSLR's too. So I see mirrorless has a few serious advantages over their mirror box equipped cousins. However...the R5 with all it's new tech and R&D burden is nudging £4K and as you said...there isn't a lot of image quality difference between it and a 5 year old 5DSR. I can still buy a 5DSR (new) for about £1K and in the cut and thrust of making money from photography...that's a massive price difference. As I come u to my 5 year renewal of my current camera bodies, I can swap out all three of my DSLR bodies for a pair of mk4's and a single 5DSR and it'll cost me about the same as a single R5. A bit like the electric car situation...at the moment the maths doesn't work for me.
I could easily pickup a mk4, a 5DSR and a S/H EOS R (although I really don't like the handling of that camera) for about the same price point and get the added value of using the new RF mount and adapters.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
If I'm right (please correct me if not !!!), a small R5 advantage is the ability for home-sensor -cleaning.
I forget where I've read it, but it seems the 5Dds sensor can only be cleaned by Canon, due to its fragile protective-glass.

Not correct at all. 5DS/R sensor is exactly like cleaning any other sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
I think the opposite is true, the R5 has the sensor in a floating IBIS cradle, so a lot more care is needed when trying to clean it at home.

Upvote 0
I have been using my 5Ds about 4.5 years - never needed a sensor clean so far.
The self cleaning function seems to do a good job

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0