Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I should imagine that Canon will have an R1 out by the Olympics in 2021
I kind of doubt it. If any camera is going to be delayed by COVID-19, it will probably be the R1, which doesn't really have a market yet. I think Canon will want the R5 out in the field for at least a year in order to get feedback before rushing an R1 into production. Canon may still want the Olympics to be all about the 1Dx III. The Olympics is not the venue to test run a camera so I think they will want to have a thorough vetting of the R1 before taking the risk of putting it out prematurely for the summer Olympics. There are a lot of other sporting events that are less high risk for Canon to use to debut an R1 in 2022. They might actually want to put the R1 on a winter Olympic cycle and keep the 1Dx on the summer schedule.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Why do people insist on saying this every time a price for anything is mentioned? UK prices are listed inclusive of tax USA prices are not. In the UK the health service is included in your tax bill, in the USA it is not, personally I'd pay a few hundred dollars more each time I bought a camera and got health insurance included, in the USA you 'save' a few hundred dollars on the cost of your camera and spend $500 every single month on health insurance because "Freedom".
Because you are convinced that health insurance in Europe is free ???
Many Europeans would happily pay only $500 a month...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I should imagine that Canon will have an R1 out by the Olympics in 2021

That won't preclude use of the R5, either. If anything, assuming Canon has an R1 out in time for a 2021 Olympics that actually happens, the R1 would be more likely to reduce usage of the 1D X Mark III for some users than to reduce usage of the R5 by other users. My personal opinion is that an R1 out by mid-2021 AND the Olympics actually happening in 2021 are both very big IFs at this point in time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I’m not so sure that the R1 will be out that quickly. We will know more when we find out the AF performance of the R5 and how close they are to meeting the standards that an R1 will have to meet.

The AF performance of the 1D X Mark III in Live View is probably a better indicator of the current state of the art for main imaging sensor based AF at Canon. The R5 may or may not match that. Even when the Canon 5-series started using the same PDAF sensors as the concurrent 1-series bodies, the shot-to-shot AF consistency of the 5D Mark III and 5D Mark IV seemed to be just a tick or two off from the 1D X and 1D X Mark II, respectively.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know about that. There are instances when the resolution bump is important for sports people too. The mechanical shutter speed of 12 fps is really the comparison point, as sports shots really do suffer from electronic shutter jello effect. There will be times when 12 fps disadvantage isn't as great as the 20 megapixel disadvantage of the 1d3. Lots will depend on other things, like buffer depth. Still too early to tell.
It can help, but it's way down the list for me, and can be lived without. I've run a lot of deep crops without it. Durability, initial target acquisition, consistency are all much more important.

I've owned 6 1D bodies for sports for myself and other photographers. We've put outrageous quantities of shots on them as sports tournament photographers. Some of them hit well over a million actuations. Only the 1DmkII (non-x) wore out, and that one was heavily used before I got it. In my 1DX/1DX2 bodies, I've never had a shutter replaced sooner than 450k clicks (usually it's longer than that), with one exception, and that was a bad sensor from the factory (which has been spotless since). They only get replaced because they're already at the lab for fixing, and it might be another 200-300k before there's time to send it in.

They've been dropped, exposed to elements, been in all sorts of temps and just keep on ticking. Only failure was a faulty rain gear letting water pool inside and shorting out the LCD screen. Camera still worked great, just had to go semi old school.

I'm more excited for the R6. The 7D2 was a brilliant value, because it gave you 80% of a 1DX for 1/4 (or less) of the price. It also provided a 112-320mm kit that could cover any field sport for about $1400 for second shooters. But it was not capable of great, only good to very good in terms of image quality. The Canon R line, while painfully underpowered for sports, produced a stellar image when it nailed the shot, and locked on crisper than any of my five 7d2's ever have.

Surely there will be some corners/rough spots that the R6 suffers from, or there'd be no reason to buy 1Dx3/R5 (or the eventual R1X). But if it can bring the focus precision of the 7d2 with the mirrorless functionality, I will run to trade in my 7D lineup for those.

I'd love to be surprised, but I highly expect all three to maintain the current classes. And that's perfectly fine with me, because portrait/videographers do not need my battleproof tank, and frankly sports shooters can get by without it. And I'm not about to buy a fleet of them, or the company goes out of business :)

But what's exciting is the possibility of actually using the 5R confidently for sports. The frame rate of the 5D was the dealbreaker.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV : $2,499.00
Canon EOS R: $1,799.00
Sony a7iIV: $3,498.

If Canon R5 is above $3500, it will be a tough sell.

The EOS 5D Mark IV is at the end of a four-plus year sales cycle. It's been less than one year since it began selling from authorized retailers for $2,499. It was introduced at $3,499 USD in 2016, the same as the 5D Mark III was introduced at $3,499 USD in 2012.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I’m curious to know if my 400mm f5.6L, which is not stabilized, will be stabilized on the new R5 body using a Canon adaptor. I’m already excited about the camera, but this would definitely seal the deal for me!

The camera's IBIS would likely be functional. Of course the lens itself would still be non-stabilized.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
Sony killer at that price.
According to Mirrorlessrumors the soon to be announced A7SIII will have a cooling fan and will be a ‘video workhorse’ and likely priced around the same. Until any of these cameras are released it’s very premature to claim ‘Sony Killer’ (I’m guessing Sony will be OK). Personally, I’d like to see what witchcraft Canon has to make the R5 run 8K and 4K 120p fullframe without any fan and a fairly reasonably sized FF body. What will be the record time and how hot will it get? Could the A7SIII run for longer with a cooling fan??

Upvote 0

DrToast

CR Pro
Mar 10, 2016
I’m curious to know if my 400mm f5.6L, which is not stabilized, will be stabilized on the new R5 body using a Canon adaptor. I’m already excited about the camera, but this would definitely seal the deal for me!

It will probably work somewhat, but lens stabilziation works better for longer focal lengths. But it will be better than nothing.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
The AF performance of the 1D X Mark III in Live View is probably a better indicator of the current state of the art for main imaging sensor based AF at Canon. The R5 may or may not match that. Even when the Canon 5-series started using the same PDAF sensors as the concurrent 1-series bodies, the shot-to-shot AF consistency of the 5D Mark III and 5D Mark IV seemed to be just a tick or two off from the 1D X and 1D X Mark II, respectively.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Or maybe it’s better, considering the fact the R5 has eye, body and face detect for both humans and animals.

Upvote 0

tbintb

5DSR, R5
May 26, 2020
The camera's IBIS would likely be functional. Of course the lens itself would still be non-stabilized.

Thank you for the reply. I didn’t word that correctly in the first place.....I meant would there still be some sort of stabilization such as in-camera, which you said would remain, and makes sense. The idea that this will be the equivalent of having a stabilized lens on the body is a great selling point. Someone else said Canon did it right, and they sure did with their adaptors. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
The EOS 5D Mark IV is at the end of a four-plus year sales cycle. It's been less than one year since it began selling from authorized retailers for $2,499. It was introduced at $3,499 USD in 2016, the same as the 5D Mark III was introduced at $3,499 USD in 2012.

Remember how Tesla sells Model 3 and Model Y?

Upvote 0

tbintb

5DSR, R5
May 26, 2020
It will probably work somewhat, but lens stabilziation works better for longer focal lengths. But it will be better than nothing.
Thank you. Someone else mentioned in-body stabilization should remain activated, which makes sense. But that 400mm lens in question is a huge reason why I never even considered switched to another brand while so many people were bashing Canon for their sensors. It’s a great lightweight lens, with great IQ. To think it will now be stabilized in some way has me excited as a kid in a candy store. :)

Upvote 0