Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
I kinda feel like someone at Canon leaked this to get reactions so they can settle on a price that captures the unprecedented demand while also making as much as they can. (Which is understandable, I guess.)

That said, I'll be happy if it's under $4k. $3500 was expected for me, and I'd still buy it at $3999, but with tax and just an extra battery that's already pretty close to $4,500, so it'd probably limit my ability to get much else.

If you’re right...then $3999 is clearly too much and it darn well ought to be $3499 or less.

Hear that Canon? Cheaper is better!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
R5 needs to significantly below 4k in my opinion. (just sayin')

Its experience.
It has been a 'rule of thumb' for years and is pretty accurate.

For example:
price of 1Dx3 in USA: $6500 (BHP)
price of 1Dx3 in UK: £6500 (WEX)

Used BHP and Wex as they are both large camera retailers, so 'like for like' as it were.

FYI - the NHS is awesome, and is payed through general taxation. You really cannot say 'this % of the sale price' of anything you buy if specifically for the NHS.
Dude, I’m English! Of course you can’t say a % of a purchase price goes to the NHS but by the same token you have to accept the more generous social programs in most developed countries are paid for via direct and indirect taxation of which a sales tax is an important part in many countries the UK included.

Oh by the way, the UK has a higher minimum wage £ to the US$, £8.72 vs $7.25.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I kinda feel like someone at Canon leaked this to get reactions so they can settle on a price that captures the unprecedented demand while also making as much as they can. (Which is understandable, I guess.)

I don’t think that this leak is going to have much impact in the price that a Canon sets for the R5.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Dude, I’m English! Of course you can’t say a % of a purchase price goes to the NHS but by the same token you have to accept the more generous social programs in most developed countries are paid for via direct and indirect taxation of which a sales tax is an important part in many countries the UK included.

in 29 US states, there is a local law making it higher than $7.25. Just from eyeballing a bar graph, there are at least 15 states with a wage over $8.50, and they probably cover more than half of our population.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Some people even said Model 3 and Model Y are sold below the cost. But watch how Tesla kills competitors.

I would think Canon R5 price above $3500 is "more expensive" than Model 3 or Model Y. Because more people are willing to buy Model 3 or Model Y than spending $3500+ on Canon R5, including me.

Tesla has spent more money than it has made every quarter of its existence.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
That's odd, I heard it was going to have weathersealing, and be a wildlife photographer's dream. I'm not saying you're wrong, no offense, but I hope you are.

All cameras have "weather sealing" to one degree or another. But if you read the warranty of any of them, water damage is specifically NOT covered for any of Canon's (or Nikons, or Sony's, etc.) interchangeable lens cameras.

Some bodies are "more" weather resistant" than others. Some are a little less or far less weather resistant than others.

The EOS 1-series has always been regarded as "more" weather resistant than other models in the EOS lineup. The 5D Mark IV and the 7D Mark II, though, are not that far below the 1D X Mark II.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
in 29 US states, there is a local law making it higher than $7.25. Just from eyeballing a bar graph, there are at least 15 states with a wage over $8.50, and they probably cover more than half of our population.
And there are millions of people who work under the minimum wage because of the disgusting Minimum Tipped Wage rule where states can set the minimum wage as low as $3.89 and corporations can pool take the money left by patrons as tips to redistribute do whatever they want with.

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
Why do people insist on saying this every time a price for anything is mentioned? UK prices are listed inclusive of tax USA prices are not. In the UK the health service is included in your tax bill, in the USA it is not, personally I'd pay a few hundred dollars more each time I bought a camera and got health insurance included, in the USA you 'save' a few hundred dollars on the cost of your camera and spend $500 every single month on health insurance because "Freedom".

Some states/businesses in the U.S. don't charge sales tax. Many people buying these cameras also have jobs which includes health insurance. This is about cameras, not political policies.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Ok Ok...a very large group says it's going to be EXPENSIVE! They list the video features etc. Then there's another large group that says video features don't drive up the cost. In a Venn diagram there is a pretty sizable overlap here on CR with those two groups.

Me, I'm not even in a circle because I'm not buying one. I do hope it's on the lower end of pricing for all my still comrades out there. (Or priced super high for the video nuts?) ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That’s genuinely a lot of camera for that price!

What do you guys think a 1 series mirrorless body could offer over this? Apart from a bump in speed and focus performance it’s hard to imagine a body providing much more really.
A 1 series R camera could have 1 series features.

Vertical grip with better batteries, better controls like that fancy optical AF button/controller, matching card slots, buffer depth, better weather sealing, faster mechanical shutter (20 FPS in the 1DX III, 'only' 12 in the R5), connectivity, GPS (Unless the R5 also gets that), better video profiles, ...

Upvote 0
In the case of the 5D mkiv I got in on a group buy (official UK retailer) which was £2400. £1000 off the RRP and being VAT registered at the time it cost me 2k a body. E-infin were selling them at £2695 for the first month or so then it went down to £2400(ish). I remember it fairly well as it was the first time I managed to find a UK sourced camera cheaper than import.

Canon makes a LOT on their bodies in the UK.
vat registered is another matter. I remember buying A6300 cheaper on amazon prime day deal + sony cashback than imported costed. i think was a6300+ kit lens for like 399 after all deals

Upvote 0

minimum wage jobs in the US get 5times+ their wage in tips

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Ok Ok...a very large group says it's going to be EXPENSIVE! They list the video features etc. Then there's another large group that says video features don't drive up the cost. In a Venn diagram there is a pretty sizable overlap here on CR with those two groups.

Me, I'm not even in a circle because I'm not buying one. I do hope it's on the lower end of pricing for all my still comrades out there. (Or priced super high for the video nuts?) ;)
Maybe the purchaser should sign a statutory declaration confirming camera will only be used for stills and the price will be $2999 otherwise price is $4599..;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
A 1 series R camera could have 1 series features.

Vertical grip with better batteries, better controls like that fancy optical AF button/controller, matching card slots, buffer depth, better weather sealing, faster mechanical shutter (20 FPS in the 1DX III, 'only' 12 in the R5), connectivity, GPS (Unless the R5 also gets that), better video profiles, ...

Personally, I can't see myself buying another (new) camera without a built-in vertical grip. I shoot a lot of portraits and find being able to take photos easily in that orientation indispensable.

Because I won't be able to personally afford it for some time, I wouldn't mind a 2-year wait on the 1-series R ;)

Upvote 0