Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
RP is a nice body and cheap too but what about the R, slightly higher MP count, better battery life?

If you're also considering adding other bodies that use the more ubiquitous LP-E6/LP-E6N/LP-E6x (whatever they're gong to call the R5 version) battery then that's another plus for the R instead of the RP.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
In my opinion, what a camera company wants and what an individual can or should do is two different things. Canon might want one to switch every 4 years or so, but that doesn't mean one should or even that it is necessary. I mostly shoot portraits. I had everything I needed and wanted with the 5D mark III and and big collection of EF "L" lenses. Everything I had did everything I needed to do. If I were a professional portrait shooter, I really don't see why I could not have gone on for several more years with what I had. Most people (probably 99.999%) have no idea what we are shooting with or what the cost is anyway. All they care about is the result. To be real honest, if results sucked with a 5D mark III they will suck with an R5 and RF glass too. Professional photographers are not nearly as large a market, and not as important, as people who just do this stuff for fun and have the money to do it with. Many of us (like me) have very little money and just want what we want... so we get it when we can, however we can. I'd love to have a side by side retail priced $14,000 4x4 ATV, but I can't afford one. In my disappointment, should I accuse the manufacturer of being greedy and decide myself that the price shout be $6k? Seriously, that is a flawed world view. It really isn't about what you spend or what you get with any of these modern cameras. It is about what you can do with what you get. Is any camera worth the money? For me, and many thousands of others, it isn't about money at all. I don't make a cent. However, the pleasure of the hobby makes it totally worth it.
Very well put. Over the years I’ve worked with a few small video production companies and the most important aspects to them was delivering on time to the client, keeping the budget to a reasonable level and using equipment that won’t unnecessarily increase the workload. One company (made up of two people and me), back in the day used 5DII’s and 5DIII’s to shoot video, even though Blackmagic offered superior video quality. For them the workflow using Canon DSLR’s was much quicker, no need to deal with large 4K files or advanced colour grading plus the investment in Blackmagic, including the higher cost in SSD’s and batteries, far outweighed any gains in video quality. For the types of video work they were doing, 1080p was good enough (the clients would never have noticed anyway). Of course they now use Blackmagic cameras but have always worked within their means.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Not to quibble a lot but
"Since Incoterms 1980 introduced the Incoterm FCA, FOB should only be used for non-containerized seafreight and inla"nd waterway transport. However, FOB is commonly used incorrectly for all modes of transport despite the contractual risks that this can introduce. In some common law countries such as the United States of America, FOB is not only connected with the carriage of goods by sea but also used for inland carriage aboard any "vessel, car or other vehicle.""
Since we are referring to international countries/shipments then FCA or more recently DAP is more commonly used for airfreight.

It would be rare for high cost/relatively small electronic devices to be shipped by sea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoterms#FOB_–_Free_on_Board_(named_port_of_shipment)

My understanding from a conversation I had over a decade ago was that, at least at that time, Canon did ship some initial new product loads to their regional distribution centers via seagoing containers but that some replenishment shipments were typically smaller and more time sensitive so moved via air freight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Let's hope that 6 week sea freight shipments will not delay the R5 deliveries then or perhaps mishaps like these 40 containers lost off the coast of Sydney. Rather than cameras on the beaches, they were PPE :-(
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05...-washes-ashore-from-apl-england-ship/12291416

Transit time for Tokyo or Yokohama to Long Beach was typically 11 days before the Covid shutdown. Allow a bit less than a week on each end for getting them processed in/out of the port facility and on/off the ship. Then it's all up to how long it takes to clear customs.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Despite the constant message that the 5Div was a minor improvement, I was pleasantly surprised how much of a difference it made as an overall package... and for a relatively small changeover cost from a 5Diii to a second hand 5Div.

At base ISO it was a significant improvement in DR. Not so much above ISO 800 or so, but then Canon was already as good as anyone else above ISO 800.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Wow dude! D'you actually work for Canon? I'm trying to point out that the market changed dramatically, in order to sell the price has to be right. I'm not talking just about Canon. My kit ain't cheap bruv, I'm just not 100% convinced it's worth all that money. I know a lot of people who think the same way. DSLRs age very quickly, too quickly. It's not about how much you spend but what you get. Camera manufacturers want you to spend 4k+ for a semi-pro body every 4 years; roughly. And now change a system as well. Given the economy, the technology and, most of all, the way people consume photography 4k price tag dramatically limits your sales volume. Higher price will not make up for it. It's simple. If this continues the camera as we know it, DSLR, will extinct because of greed of the likes of Canon.

It should actually be well below 3k. Well below. Producing D7, D7.5, D6.25 etc will not help either.
Well, the 5DIV is now $2500, so there is a lower price option for those who want a FF DSLR. Then there is the 6DII.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
can you imagine what the R5 is capable of ;)

I would think a firmware could come to the 1DX III, enabling 'true' animal AF like the way eye AF works. The 1DX III is of course a terrific body, but I think in terms of AF, an R1-type body would run circles around it when it appears next year.

If it locks on an animals eye and tracks it as well as any camera in existence, why isn't it already "true" animal AF? Why does it need a firmware update if it is already doing the job as well as any camera on the planet?

You're just getting caught up on what's printed on a spec sheet put out by the marketing department instead of looking at how the system actually performs. In Live View the EOS 1D X Mark III has AF that locks on and tracks animals' eyes that is as good as anything else currently on the market.

Like I said way up yonder, historically the 5D series has been a half a notch behind the 1-series when it comes to AF performance and consistency from frame to frame, even when they both have the same PDAF hardware. So we know this is a conscious decision by Canon to give the "top" model better performance. Expect what you want. I'll be surprised if the R5 tracks animal eyes better than the 1D X Mark III in LV.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
If you're also considering adding other bodies that use the more ubiquitous LP-E6/LP-E6N/LP-E6x (whatever they're gong to call the R5 version) battery then that's another plus for the R instead of the RP.
hadn't thought of that but very true indeed.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
If it locks on an animals eye and tracks it as well as any camera in existence, why isn't it already "true" animal AF? Why does it need a firmware update if it is already doing the job as well as any camera on the planet?

You're just getting caught up on what's printed on a spec sheet put out by the marketing department instead of looking at how the system actually performs. In Live View the EOS 1D X Mark III has AF that locks on and tracks animals' eyes that is as good as anything else currently on the market.

Like I said way up yonder, historically the 5D series has been a half a notch behind the 1-series when it comes to AF performance and consistency from frame to frame, even when they both have the same PDAF hardware. So we know this is a conscious decision by Canon to give the "top" model better performance. Expect what you want. I'll be surprised if the R5 tracks animal eyes better than the 1D X Mark III in LV.
I think the acid test for the R5 will be how the 12/20 FPS flows through to the EVF as no matter how good the animal AF is, if the EVF has a lag like the R does when in high speed servo mode, it will almost render it useless for that type of photography.

I'm hoping Canon have sorted that and either removed the lag or at least reduced it to an acceptable level with some sort of technical wizardry which is beyond me lol. ;)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I think the acid test for the R5 will be how the 12/20 FPS flows through to the EVF as no matter how good the animal AF is, if the EVF has a lag like the R does when in high speed servo mode, it will almost render it useless for that type of photography.

I'm hoping Canon have sorted that and either removed the lag or at least reduced it to an acceptable level with some sort of technical wizardry which is beyond me lol. ;)
Some users are putting loupes on the back of their 1D X Mark III so they can use it more like a viewfinder.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=19034457&i=i114345881

Again, what technology is required to offer a low latency EVF that isn't also needed to offer a low latency LCD screen?

With the 1D X Mark III in Live View Canon has already proven they can do it. The only question remaining is if they will do it with the EOS R5.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016

Well, we'll see. It's obvious the R5 will have the raw processing power to handle complex AF situations, considering the fact it can handle 8K raw video. I think ultimately the 1Dx III will still be the tool for many working pro's in sports and news. For now. Also because the big agencies have tons and tons of EF glass. I also expect it to be the last OVF based 1DX. For me personally, the R5 seems like a match made in heaven; never expected Canon to do something like this.

I shoot commercial work and portraits, but also events and weddings. And wildlife. It's a one can do all. Apart from that I've also begun working on my video skills to add as service to clients, and that is something this camera can do pretty good too. Not of course as good as a C line camera, but good enough. My faith is large enough I've asked a retailer here to place a pre-pre-order and a custom quote for a couple of bodies and a bag of RF lenses :)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
For video, you SHOULD BE shooting at a 1/xyz shutter speed where xyz is equal to twice the frame rate. So if you're shooting 24 fps in video you should be at 1/48th of second shutter speed. For 30 fps video it should be 1/60th of a second and 60 fps should be 1/120th of a second, etc. That means you will STILL get video-centric motion blur which will look quite nice on most modern televisions.

Yeah, that's what 180° shutter angle means.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

I think that we will not see an R1 until Canon has EVF and mirrorless AF technology where they want it, and I am not sure that will happen by next year. The R5 performance will be a benchmark for where they are now.

Upvote 0
I gave some feedback to Canon on their 'Feedback page.' I told them I was quite frustrated on the fact that an announcement can't be made on the R5. A release date I can wait patiently on. I told them, 'I know they probably don't care that I'm frustrated.' Puny customer, against a giant company. What can I do? I could go to Nikon, but Nikon is pulling the same stunt Canon is. I got a response a few days later, and they sent me a link to what isn't a brochure on the R5, maybe it is idk.. I thought, 'Ok, this is close to what I wanted.'
Here is the link to what they gave me. Hope you enjoy, have an awesome day!

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...e/product-showcases/cameras-and-lenses/eos-r5

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
So you are either in one of the five states, covering only 2.5% of the U.S. population between all of them, that have no retail sales tax or you're in one of the remaining six states that have not yet passed legislation requiring out of state retailers to collect some form of sales tax on items shipped to consumers in their state. In either case, you're in the shrinking minority among U.S. citizens.

Sounds like you're angry or something....?

I mean, why not just be happy for those that for the time being still can get a good deal?

Upvote 0