Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I was waiting for this but no mechanical shutter is a big pass for me... not a good idea for dust and having a lens focusing light to the sensor itself even if it's off...
FWIW, RF lenses (but not EF lenses) will stop down to their smallest aperture when the camera goes to sleep or is turned off to mitigate this. But at the point where photons would damage the sensor, a shutter curtain would've been burned as well.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I’m missing something. Or the rumor is. If not, sounds like very minor update. BSI? Meh, not really meaningful for a FF sensor.
Ok, what the rumor was missing was added after I posted this..."(We believe it'll be a stacked design)." A stacked sensor would represent a significant upgrade.

As I've said before, I don't believe updates are primarily aimed at owners of the immediate prior model, but rather at owners 2-3 cycles back or down the lineup. So, an R5II would be primarily targeted at 5DIII/IV users, 6DII users, and R6 users. No doubt there will be some R5 owners who upgrade, but I doubt Canon is counting on those sales. Always good to keep that in mind when the YouTube crowd complains about few/marginal improvements (and also why cameras generally go on to sell quite well after being internet-bashed for it).

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...] Always good to keep that in mind when the YouTube crowd complains about few/marginal improvements (and also why cameras generally go on to sell quite well after being internet-bashed for it).
At launch: "Hands-on review of $camera", with no actual hands-on or review of said camera
A day later: "Watch THIS before you BUY $camera!!!"
3 months later: "We were WRONG! Is $camera actually the best?!?!?"

Engagement is what pays the bills for online content creators and stupid headlines are preferred by the various algorithms :(

And we can already say with a good amount of certainty that Steve Dent over at Engadget will say that Sony menus are better in his review :)

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
If these current specs alone are true, it will be a significant update to the R5.

My only concern is dynamic range and noise without a mechanical shutter. Hopefully this has been resolved entirely, as it's still an issue on the R3 and Z 9 when you really push files. Not that I always push shadows extremely, but I sometimes lean into files pretty hard. My R3 in 14-bit RAW reveals more noise in the shadows over mechanical shutter and I've been told by my friends that the Z 9 does as well. I'm confident Canon has resolved this if they're removing the mechanical shutter entirely. I would love to know the scan rate.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
If the sensor is BSI only without mechanical shutter, it is meaningless to release mark ii.
The sensor must be stacked sensor or global shutter but I guess 0.01% to use global shutter.
May be Red sell their 8K global sensor to Canon? haha.

sensor speed should be faster than Z8 if Canon doesn't want to loss their face!
The Nikon Z8 and Z9 have no mechanical shutter. There is a special curtain that protects the sensor when the lens is removed. Having no mechanical shutter is great because it's one more moving part removed and cannot break.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Incidentally, I suspect it’s about more than just lens changes. The camera spends a lot more time powered off than it does powered on, so there is a lot more time for dust to settle in the interior when the power is off. If the sensor is covered during that time, the dust will settle on the shutter and not the sensor.
With Nikon "protective curtains come down when the Z9 is turned off." (DPR's review)

Upvote 0

JKT

Jan 28, 2022
If the rumor of the R1 having 30Mpix and .8ms read speed is true, if the r5Mk2 uses the same technology/sensor bandwidth, it should be able to have 1.2ms read speed (bit faster than 1/800s.) Hopefully that means it'll have at least 1/500s flash sync speed.
Yes - flash sync and also bit depth are the questions without the shutter.

Upvote 0
A blackout-free EVF would be nice.

45MP is a bit low, was hoping for atleast 60MP.

If it´s only 45MP the price should not be any higher than the R5.
The biggest problem with increasing sensor resolution is video compatibility. 45 mp is the perfect resolution for 8K DCI video, with minimal cropping for 8K UHD, and of course that means it scales perfectly for 4K DCI and UHD. If the resolution jumps to, say, 60mp, then video users will be very disappointed, because it means either cropping or getting scaling artifacts. For the most part, such issues are disqualifying for videographers.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Ok, what the rumor was missing was added after I posted this..."(We believe it'll be a stacked design)." A stacked sensor would represent a significant upgrade.

As I've said before, I don't believe updates are primarily aimed at owners of the immediate prior model, but rather at owners 2-3 cycles back or down the lineup. So, an R5II would be primarily targeted at 5DIII/IV users, 6DII users, and R6 users. No doubt there will be some R5 owners who upgrade, but I doubt Canon is counting on those sales. Always good to keep that in mind when the YouTube crowd complains about few/marginal improvements (and also why cameras generally go on to sell quite well after being internet-bashed for it).
so much this.. Canon tends to evolve things for a while before any big jump. I also find they tend to put a bunch of subtle improvements which aren't easy to quantify via specs. So mileage may vary.. I still love my R5, just wish I had more opportunities to use it. Life is too busy right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Well, seems like Canon might be giving me what I need instead of what I want. I was really hoping for more MP, but at the end of the day if they can deliver marginal IQ improvements (DR is really the only thing I find myself wanting a little more of) and really improve handling/speed/AF then I'm probably a buyer. Price would be the other main consideration, with the Z8 sitting around USD$3700 I'm not sure how I'd feel about a launch price at the R5's original $3900

Oh and battery life. The R5 still sucks down batteries like a Tesla on a drag strip.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, seems like Canon might be giving me what I need instead of what I want. I was really hoping for more MP, but at the end of the day if they can deliver marginal IQ improvements (DR is really the only thing I find myself wanting a little more of) and really improve handling/speed/AF then I'm probably a buyer. Price would be the other main consideration, with the Z8 sitting around USD$3700 I'm not sure how I'd feel about a launch price at the R5's original $3900

Oh and battery life. The R5 still sucks down batteries like a Tesla on a drag strip.
You are not going to get much more DR if any at all - the R5 is up there with the R3 and way better than the Z8/Z9

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
A big nothing burger of an article, meant to drive waning user interaction. No new info.

One thing I really liked about the R5 when I considered switching to the RF system was the ability to have the shutter close when changing lenses. I'd be pretty annoyed for them to get rid of the shutter and lose that dust protection feature - to say nothing of the fact that there's 0 chance this has a global shutter, so we'd be forced to accept rolling shutter as well, unless they've done miracles and exceeded the readout speed of the Z8/Z9, and also improved bandwidth so much that we can get full bit depth readout at higher burst rates like we can with MS/EFCS. If they can't solve those issues, they shouldn't remove the mechanical shutter, period.

I'll await some actual new info. I get the feeling I'll be waiting for an official press release.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have an R5, but if the R5 II does away with the 30-minute video recording limit, I'll be getting the R5 II. Otherwise, not.
The reason for the 30 minute limit is that exceeding 30 minutes subjects the camera to a worldwide, WTO-mandated added 5.4% tax. However, this tax has been progressively dropping, and soon will have no impact on price.

Upvote 0