Canon EOS R5 Mark II to arrive before EOS R1? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There have been some rumblings about a follow-up to the brilliant Canon EOS R5, and while there are none that we’d consider super reliable, the chatter continues. We were told over the weekend that the follow-up to the Canon EOS R5 will “likely arrive before the Canon EOS R1”. No timeframe for either camera was

See full article...

That indeed is very likely, as the R1 usually arrives in time for the summer Olympics, which will happen in August next year, while the R5 has not been updated yet, although it was announced together with the R6, which already got an update a while ago.
On March 2012 the EOS 1D X & 5D Mark III were announced at the same time.

1-Series bodies are typically refreshed months before major sporting events like the Olympics.

5-Series since the 2008 EOS 5D Mark II has been on a ~4 year replacement cycle.

- 2008 EOS 5D Mark II
- 2012 EOS 5D Mark III
- 2016 EOS 5D Mark IV
- 2020 EOS R5
- 2024 EOS R5 Mark II

The next R5 being released in 2023 would hearken back to the 2005 EOS 5D to 2008 EOS 5D Mark II

Odds are the R3 replacement, R5 replacement or R1 will appear within 1 year, 5 months.

As I pointed out to @puffo25 I'd not wait for the R5 Mark II if it's a paid gig or birth of your 1st child.

If it's just a toy, then wait.

Last EOS body I bought was a 2015 EOS 5Ds R... maybe a near decade's gap would be well worth finally transitioning to Canon's mirrorless.

As a hobbyist you have to ask yourself what you are missing out? Law of of diminishing returns starts creeping.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
Last EOS body I bought was a 2015 EOS 5Ds R... maybe a near decade's gap would be well worth finally transitioning to Canon's mirrorless.

As a hobbyist you have to ask yourself what you are missing out? Law of of diminishing returns starts creeping.
I personally think it depends on how you treat the hobby.
Even as a hobbyist, having the right tool to make life easier and more enjoyable is a huge return on your investment.
Here’s an example, you could paint or woodwork as a hobby. You can buy decent brushes and tools, but sometimes having a really good premier brush, or that high end special saw and blade that will cut perfection, can make the hobbyist enjoy their hobby that much more.
It’s all up to the hobbyist to determine if he wants to spend the money on his hobby or not.
Now in terms of mirrorless, it has huge benefits over a mirror in my opinion.
If you shoot landscapes or static objects, then you might not care about mirrorless.
If you shoot humans or animals or anything fast paced, then the eye tracking and hit rate on mirrorless is amazing.
If you shoot your anything fast paced like your child’s sport game, then mirrorless has the ability to loose the mechanical shutter and shoot 20+ fps with the formentioned AF hit rate.
If you are a new hobbyist and learning photography, mirrorless offers live exposure view. You can visually see what the changes you make to the exposure triangle do in real time, rather than trial and error on a flipped mirror.
The mirrorless RF budget glass (although limited) far outshines any EF cheap glass you can buy as a hobbyist.
The RF 85 2.0 macro is sharper with better contrast than the EF 85 1.2 and 1.4 L’s at a fraction of the price.
The RF 50mm 1.8 is surprisingly sharp and beats the used EF 50’s you can buy at that price range.
If you like to shoot any type of video, mirrorless is the way to go.

It’s all relative to the hobbyist, some invest more money into their hobby than others and considering diminishing returns is relative to the hobbyist.
It might not seem worth it to you, but it will to someone else.
If you have been happy with your 5DsR for the past 10 years, then really there is no reason to upgrade and you will be happy with it for another 10 to go.
If you wish you had certain tools to make your hobby more satisfactory and enjoyable, then maybe you should upgrade to mirrorless. It’s all up to the user to decide.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
I personally think it depends on how you treat the hobby.
Even as a hobbyist, having the right tool to make life easier and more enjoyable is a huge return on your investment.
Here’s an example, you could paint or woodwork as a hobby. You can buy decent brushes and tools, but sometimes having a really good premier brush, or that high end special saw and blade that will cut perfection, can make the hobbyist enjoy their hobby that much more.
It’s all up to the hobbyist to determine if he wants to spend the money on his hobby or not.
Now in terms of mirrorless, it has huge benefits over a mirror in my opinion.
If you shoot landscapes or static objects, then you might not care about mirrorless.
If you shoot humans or animals or anything fast paced, then the eye tracking and hit rate on mirrorless is amazing.
If you shoot your anything fast paced like your child’s sport game, then mirrorless has the ability to loose the mechanical shutter and shoot 20+ fps with the formentioned AF hit rate.
If you are a new hobbyist and learning photography, mirrorless offers live exposure view. You can visually see what the changes you make to the exposure triangle do in real time, rather than trial and error on a flipped mirror.
The mirrorless RF budget glass (although limited) far outshines any EF cheap glass you can buy as a hobbyist.
The RF 85 2.0 macro is sharper with better contrast than the EF 85 1.2 and 1.4 L’s at a fraction of the price.
The RF 50mm 1.8 is surprisingly sharp and beats the used EF 50’s you can buy at that price range.
If you like to shoot any type of video, mirrorless is the way to go.

It’s all relative to the hobbyist, some invest more money into their hobby than others and considering diminishing returns is relative to the hobbyist.
It might not seem worth it to you, but it will to someone else.
If you have been happy with your 5DsR for the past 10 years, then really there is no reason to upgrade and you will be happy with it for another 10 to go.
If you wish you had certain tools to make your hobby more satisfactory and enjoyable, then maybe you should upgrade to mirrorless. It’s all up to the user to decide.
But often times we upgrade to make ourselves feel awesome. ;-) It is nice to buy new toys. Yes there is a negative connotation to the word "toys" so we substitute it with "tools" instead. But photography is fun from a enthusiast's perspective so if I'm not making any substantial revenue from it then it's a fun toy.

For me the question is more about utility.

If I did not travel internationally between 2015-2018 I'd have never used it.

So what is the value of buying another GAS that you are not using?

Other people want a better tool for quality of live improvements. It's a good reason to upgrade but if your utility is like every month or even every year then why upgrade?

Perhaps that is why digital camera sales dwindled to a little over 8 million last year from an all time high of under 121.5 million in 2010.

EF system has become good enough in the past decade of upgraders or new customers are buying into RF more recently.

I also did a survey on photo forums about user's age and >80% are born before 1980. This tells me people want to enjoy the fruits of their labor whether it is a tool, a toy or a money maker.

What I point to concerning laws of diminish returns is that we're chasing the last 1% of performance when what we have is sufficiently good without dissernable shortcoming until a marketer comes your away and points that the new bells and whistle will make you a superstar photographer.

That's why I said 99% of people will not notice the difference of EF to RF.

I can pretend that I switched from Canon EF L to Sony FE G and no one would be the wiser.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's why I said 99% of people will not notice the difference of EF to RF.

92.5% of photos are taken with smartphones and only 7% with cameras. https://photutorial.com/photos-statistics/
Of the 7% taken with cameras, the majority will be with point and shoot, and other makes. So, it's quite likely that very, very approximately 99% of people would not notice the difference of EF to RF. What is important is the percentage of the approx 1% who do use EF or RF who would notice the difference. Well I for one do. Maybe if you had been using an R5 (or R6) for the past few years rather than a 5DSR you would too. But, maybe not as well.

Upvote 0
I´m planning a major trip starting august 2024 and I'd absolutely love to update the R by then. R5mkii release would give all the choices ranging from R8 (not gonna happen), adding the R7 as a second body or getting an R6mkii, R5mkii (probably to expensive) or getting a discounted R5 mki. Yay for me :) Needless to say, I am absolutely not in the market for the mythical R1.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I´m planning a major trip starting august 2024 and I'd absolutely love to update the R by then.
My unfounded prediction is that the R6 III and R8 II will have 30 MP which is one of the last things I see EOS R owners holding out for.
Also, the R5 should be under $3K USD by 2024 making it also a worthy upgrade choice.

• Haha
Upvote 0
92.5% of photos are taken with smartphones and only 7% with cameras. https://photutorial.com/photos-statistics/
Of the 7% taken with cameras, the majority will be with point and shoot, and other makes. So, it's quite likely that very, very approximately 99% of people would not notice the difference of EF to RF. What is important is the percentage of the approx 1% who do use EF or RF who would notice the difference. Well I for one do. Maybe if you had been using an R5 (or R6) for the past few years rather than a 5DSR you would too. But, maybe not as well.
Interesting stats.

I learned to ID EF vs RF by visiting CR every so often eyeballing your delightful images. ;-)

That is why I am waiting eagerly for RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM samples

I just wonder to myself... is it worth chasing the last 1% of performance if I haven't touched that 2015 camera from 2019-today?

Yesterday my 2012 iMac 27" 22nm turned a decade old. Have not upgraded it since use case has not changed since 2015.

I look forward to moving to a 2023 iMac 27" 5nm when one becomes available hopefully within 4 months. Why? Because it received its final Security Update over 6 months ago.

Having used it 1/2 day nearly daily for 3650 days it is time to replace its entirety.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
While an R5 II coming soon would makes sense, I would rather see an R5 S first.

100 megapixels on a 36x24mm 1.0x fullframe image sensor that battles it out with a FujiFilm 100s 100megapixel 0.79x medium format body?

Cheapest way to get to that resolution? :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
My unfounded prediction is that the R6 III and R8 II will have 30 MP which is one of the last things I see EOS R owners holding out for.
Also, the R5 should be under $3K USD by 2024 making it also a worthy upgrade choice.
Canon has that option to slide the R5 down below its $3899 or maintain it and price increase the R5 Mark II to R3 pricing while the R1 sells for $9,999.

Economies of scale at play here... ;-)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Interesting stats.

I can ID EF vs RF by visiting CR every so often eyeballing your delightful images. ;-)

I just wonder to myself... is it worth chasing the last 1% of performance if I haven't touched that 2015 camera from 2019-today?

Yesterday my 2012 iMac 27" 22nm turned a decade old. Have not upgraded it since use case has not changed since 2015.

I look forward to moving to a 2023 iMac 27" 5nm when one becomes available hopefully within 4 months. Why? Because it received its final Security Update over 6 months ago.

Having used it 1/2 day nearly daily for 3650 days it is time to replace its entirety.
I find it strange that some people feel the need to use the latest technology even when older technology can do the same thing for less money.
Some of the "Should I upgrade to the R6 II?" questions were like that.
My answer would be "If your camera does what you need it to do then why upgrade?".
Most of the answers that I saw just compared features and how much those features have changed.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I´m planning a major trip starting august 2024 and I'd absolutely love to update the R by then. R5mkii release would give all the choices ranging from R8 (not gonna happen), adding the R7 as a second body or getting an R6mkii, R5mkii (probably to expensive) or getting a discounted R5 mki. Yay for me :) Needless to say, I am absolutely not in the market for the mythical R1.
Be mindful that some hardware bugs do crop up on the 1st production run of any Canon body.

I experienced this with the 2014 EOS 7D Mark II with a 2008 EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM. It could not autofocus on a bird that required a hike of 8km.

Never in my mind would I have imagined that any pro body would have difficulty focusing a bird >20 meters away.

So it was a wasted trip.

I wish I brought a backup body that I knew that wasn't has high tech but I know I can get reliable keepers.

• Sad
Upvote 0
I find it strange that some people feel the need to use the latest technology even when older technology can do the same thing for less money.
Some of the "Should I upgrade to the R6 II?" questions were like that.
My answer would be "If your camera does what you need it to do then why upgrade?".
Most of the answers that I saw just compared features and how much those features have changed.
It's a toy. ;)

Trust me, I know. It feels nice to get the 1st batch to arrive in the country.

Under some circumstances I was able to get a unit a week before the product endorser or the dealer were supposed to get theirs.

That's why when I speak of EF vs RF or R5 or R5 Mark II I always zero down to utility, use case and after sales support. These are the long term concerns.

More often than not people do not think that way especially on any rumors site much less any photo forum.

Why be here if you do not want the latest and greatest?

Why even go into a long winded discussion that tethers onto simple bickering over a possible figment of anyone's imagination?

It is akin to becoming an audiophile... for 99% of ears the B&W 600 Series is sufficient for the next 1-2 decades. But for the discerning ear or those with lots of disposable income they aspire to a Nautilus.

On the flipside why not get the same hardware prescribed for a commercial IMAX cinema instead?

The dangers of GAS...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...]Yesterday my 2012 iMac 27" 22nm turned a decade old. Have not upgraded it since use case has not changed since 2015.

In case you want to move to a slightly more recent MacOS (doesn't need to be Ventura), I've recently found https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/ . It was very straightforward to move my 2015 iMac and 2012 MBP to latest Ventura, I could even reuse a camera 32GB SD card as the install/update medium :)

If the 27" iMac doesn't happen and you are looking for an external monitor, have a look at this article about resulution and scaling on MacOS, the graphic halfway down shows which size+resolution combinations to avoid.

Upvote 0