Canon EOS R5 pricing in Europe may have leaked [CR2]

Aug 26, 2015
There’s a thing called inflation and if you’re a working photographer, which most of the target market is, you should be wise enough to make small price increases now and then to keep up.
It's not just that, with the current situation the transportation cost is also higher and the predicted sales figures are probably lower. (It is higher in the USA, so they can decrease the margin a bit, import it in larger numbers and price it a little better)
Plus, it has several features that no other stills camera offers, so in the introductory months that will carry some extra value as well, Canon's launch prices are never low anyway.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Although the specs may justify the expected price, it's just a little too pricey for my budget. This could be the push I need to be a better photographer with the equipment I have. There's always a silver lining, I'll just struggle with the FPS and EVF Lag the R has for fast moving shots. As they say, nature finds a way and so will I until I can save the pennies for the R5. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
Many weeks ago I decided: If it's below 5000€ I'll buy it without hesitation. And hoping that, I preordered it already at my local shop. :D

I really wish that more people would buy at their local camera stores! It's mostly not more expensive there - at least from my experience here in Germany with Canon gear: Sometimes the price is even lower than - let's say - on Amazon. Support smaller companies!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Also a coder here. The code bits aren't hard. We've developed them too. The tough part is the constantly changing mix of taxes from different municipalities, counties, states AND that the taxes apply to some things and not others, again at different rates often within the same jurisdiction. The sheer effort of updating the thousands of jurisdictions and the liability of not getting a change correctly makes it insane. Example: a business client is right on the border of NH and VT. They purchase something for their own clients in NH through our system (no sales tax) and deliver it, along with services to a client of theirs in VT (6 percent sales tax). The town has a "special option" sales tax added on. You wouldn't believe the length of the algorithm that this involves. And it's different by category of goods. And it means that when a tree service firm in NH buys manure fertilizer from multiple sources, it needs to keep it in two different piles in order to keep track of the taxes, because VT employs people for the sole purpose of going around and auditing stuff like this. Which, on thinking about it, must be a punishment of some sort for very badly behaved state employees.

My only words are: "Nope". What would be so hard for the USA to have a simple tax rate. The current system looks like it was designed around people never leaving their home town and just didn't evolve .

Upvote 0
You don't understand Americans. We want to know how much tax we are paying and always rebel against buried taxes.
Nobody understands Americans. :)

Anyways, for 4500 euro, I'm going to have to wait for used R5's to hit the market. So my 5Dc has to go on a little longer, unless the R6 is not too crippled or too expensive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
I really wish that more people would buy at their local camera stores! It's mostly not more expensive there - at least from my experience here in Germany with Canon gear: Sometimes the price is even lower than - let's say - on Amazon. Support smaller companies!
I would, but in Netherlands that is not the case. Coolblue, kamera express, cameranu.nl... all those are usually significantly more pricier than e.g. Amazon. :(

Upvote 0
At around £3800 I'd have been tempted to sell my EOS R & 6DMKII to help finance it but if well over 4 grand I'll likely wait until grey importers have it...

I'll wait for the reviews and then pull the trigger when the grey importers have it in stock. I've bought all lenses and bodies from grey importers and it's saved me £kkks over the years.

Upvote 0
I kinda need 1-2 more bodies.... but I'm seriously thinking selling 5D4 since I don't think I will use it much after getting R5. My 1DX would like company, probably 1DX3. So maybe the combo R5+1DX+1DX3 would work?

I believe it can work, it always depends on your use, or your needs! For me, I cannot see myself using the 1dX mkII after having the R5! It will be much more lightweight, it will film better, more MP with the same FPS (even bigger in electronic shutter)...This EOS R5 can easily replace the 1D X series! So I think it´s better to have 2 equal bodies than to have one R5 and one 1D....You gain in room in the backpack, in weight and in photo capabilities...Unless the AF is worse....which I don´t believe....

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I would, but in Netherlands that is not the case. Coolblue, kamera express, cameranu.nl... all those are usually significantly more pricier than e.g. Amazon. :(

I think that's due to Canon cracking down on anyone advertising below the MAP it has set. I'm waiting to see if/when the R5 will get included in the bundle offers, the €300 discounts on lenses are very tempting and would soften the €4500 blow a bit.
If Canon Europe drags their heels like they did with the RP, Amazon would be very tempting or wait for a business trip to our US office. Even with declaring it and paying VAT it will work out to be cheaper than buying it locally.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I think that's due to Canon cracking down on anyone advertising below the MAP it has set. I'm waiting to see if/when the R5 will get included in the bundle offers, the €300 discounts on lenses are very tempting and would soften the €4500 blow a bit.
If Canon Europe drags their heels like they did with the RP, Amazon would be very tempting or wait for a business trip to our US office. Even with declaring it and paying VAT it will work out to be cheaper than buying it locally.

Call me superstitious, but every time I get a lens or camera bundled with goodies, the lens or camera is somebody else's freaking return. Every time.

• Haha
  • Sad
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Still boggles my mind why they don't just include tax in US prices.

Who wants to be doing calculations in their head constantly when they're shopping.
Let's unboggle your mind. First, there are 5 United States that have NO sales tax. Secondly sales taxes are deductible from federal income taxes and one must itemize them in some instances. Most calculators compute sales taxes. It's 2020. Calculations? Where does one shop in the United States where they must calculate the sales tax in their head? Online it's done for you as soon as you put the item in the cart. There are apps that even calculate local sales taxes automatically. No need for one to do it in their head. Sales taxes are local anyway. And, there are many people, educational and agencies that don't pay sales taxes. They are TAX EXEMPT. Price comparison is done without tax added. Else there isn't any price comparison. How would you compare prices if local taxes are included? Ah then millions of people, business, churches, government agencies, and organizations that don't pay sales taxes would have to subtract a gazzilion taxes for every county in the entire country in their head. Because you wanted it added in.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
That's what a calculator is for. It's 2020. There are apps that calculate local sales taxes automatically. No need for one to do it in their head. Sales taxes are local anyway. There's no way Canon or any foreign company can predict what local sales taxes would be applied.
Yet they can give a rough euro pricing. :unsure:

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Yet they can give a rough euro pricing. :unsure:
They? For what? To make one feel good? So they won't know that they are paying more? Who needs a "rough eu price"? That's not even close to zero taxes. 5 states have NO sales taxes at all. And there are millions that don't pay sales taxes either. You're under the assumption that everyone pays sales taxes in the United States. Business wouldn't even be able to compete. Makes no logical sense. Counter intuitive to business. Let's see, Churches = 0, education = 0, government = 0, 501(c) = 0. That's a lot of cameras huh? Not including those millions in those 5 sales tax free states. I think that's why the settlers dumped the British tea in the harbor. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
They? For what? Do that yourself. That's not even close to zero taxes. 5 states have NO sales taxes at all. And there are millions that don't pay sales taxes either. You're under the assumption that everyone pays sales taxes in the United States. Business wouldn't even be able to compete. Makes no logical sense. Counter intuitive to business. Let's see, Churches = 0, education = 0, government = 0, 501(c) = 0. That's a lot of cameras huh?
What are you talking about? o_O

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam

That is true for most other goods, but according to my own observation, cameras and lenses tend to be slightly cheaper in
the Netherlands than in Germany. I bought most of my equipment at foka.nl. (I'm a German living in NL. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to go shopping "at home")

Upvote 0