Canon EOS R5 pricing in Europe may have leaked [CR2]

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It’s a virtual bundle, you can buy the items up to 90 days apart and Canon itself will give you the cash back.

Maybe I jumped to conclusions. I mean bundles which include memory cards, batteries, wipes, etc. from online merchants. Almost like the "bling" is to distract from the camera/lens being a repack--but sold as new.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Still boggles my mind why they don't just include tax in US prices.

Who wants to be doing calculations in their head constantly when they're shopping.

Very simple....because there is no "one" tax.

Some states do not have sales tax.

Some states have state, city and county/parish taxes....all at different rates.

So, there is no one tax they can add to US prices to have the "full" price for the entire country.

HTH,

cayenne

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Um, because every jurisdiction in the US; state, county, municipality, taxes sales differently. It would be impossible. Retail stores could do it but certainly not Canon. Even with online retailers, where it's shipped makes a difference.

And thankfully.....with some shippers you can still get it without taxes being added to it....

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
It is not how pricing works internationally. the same product can be priced US$3500 in USA and 3500 British pounds in UK. Conversion rate not always applicable here. It’s is a bit more complicated than that. It depends on local cost, size of the market overheads promotional discounting and territory strategy / planing.
it also depends on local market conditions. hope it explains.
I totally agree. I was simply trying to indicate it was not as simple as just using a currency converter and pointed out the largest and easiest to understand difference!

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Wow. In Australia we have a single GST (ie VAT) rate across the country, which has to be added to the retail price shown. Of course, given our geographic position, getting anything here involves adding mega-transport costs - so we end up no better!

Well, in the US, it was set up so that the state is the primary power, you are a member of your state first, then a member of the United States.

The federal govt was set up to, for most purposes be subservient to the states....and used only for things that the states would not be able to manage individually , and those are enumerated in the US Constitution.....things like defense, treaties with other countries, etc.

Now, over the years, the Federal powers have grown (many would argue they have way overstepped their constitutional granted powers and responsibitlies, but that's a debate for another time).....

But even today...the Feds....senate, house of representative and the president.....they cannot pass laws directly telling states what to do.

Example...the Feds could NOT tell the states in the late 80's that they all had to raise their legal drinking age to 21yrs. They could not and still cannot pass a law like that.

However, what they do...is basically extort their way into it. The Feds collect a great deal of tax money from the citizens....and re distribute those funds to the states. So, the way they enforce "laws" like this, is to day to the states.."if you don't play nice and pass these state laws, we will withhold your federal funding".

So the United States is really more what it sounds like...a union of individual states....independent states.

I believe the EU was supposed to be the same sort of model...independent countries, but with a Union for trade and other things...but I don't quite know the history of that.

HTH,

cayenne

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I’m just glad this will fit within the limit of my new Adorama card lol. But really, though, I am bummed they switched from the old credit system at Adorama because for purchases in this price range you used to have 18 months to pay off the balance and now you only get 12.

Those monthly payments are going to be hard to hide from the wife :D

Did you forget about the "Golden Rule"?

He who makes the most gold....makes the rules!!

;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
And thankfully.....with some shippers you can still get it without taxes being added to it....
That is becoming less and less by the month. Very soon you won't see it any longer. First it was an honor system in your Federal return to pay online taxes and since the response was next to nothing, States are now being forced to collect it at time of sale. Me? I'd rather have better customer service and competitive pricing to steer me to a particular online retailer than the sales tax being the key factor. Ymmv

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
thats the jump I am going from too... the 5d MKiii was amazing all these years and now these mirrorless cameras are so exciting too! My 5d mkIII and lenses were stolen few months ago and insurance covered it all but I used that money to buy 4 RF lenses and a RP and using the left over waiting for the R5... even the RP has been amazing with the RF lenses this is all very exciting!
I do a lot of underwater photography, including underwater portraits. In addition to my 5DM3, I'm invested a lot in underwater equipment specifically for that camera which is more expensive than the camera itself.

I still continue to use it. That investment is why I have not upgraded. Whatever new camera I purchase, I will be committing to it. If the R5 is as good in real life as it is on paper, then I'm all in the moment an underwater housing is made for it. It will be my go-to camera for many years.

Upvote 0
you answered your own question - it's the business side of things.

Canon isn't a charity - a ton of people have to make a profit off that camera and not just "Canon Inc.".. Canon Japan, Canon Subsidurary, Distribution channels, Marketing companies, and oh yeah, the end retailer that has to actually sell it. Not to mention a sizeable chunk of that is taxes ($900 euros!)

And I'm curious how you would have foreseen Canon to position this - a camera that probably took them 3-4 years to develop.

True, the end retailer has to sell it. But who will have the cash?

When the 5D4 was launched the cost to retailers (providing they bought at least 10) was about 2000 GBP, the rrp was around 3500 GBP. I discovered this when I bought 2 as part of a group buy from an authorised reseller in the UK with UK stock, collectively we bought aroudn 40 bodies and got pally pally with the company.

So I guess that 2k must have covered and supplied a profit to your suggested "Canon Inc.".. Canon Japan, Canon Subsidurary, Distribution channels, Marketing companies, leaving a wide markup for the end retailers who were dictated to by Canon about what they have to charge for the camera or get struck off the authorised reseller list.

It just seems counterintuitive for a company looking for mass adoption among pros to be charging over 10% more for a body considering the state of the global economy. I guess we'll see if they drop the price or do cashback offers earlier in the product cycle than they usually do to stimulate sales.

Upvote 0
True, the end retailer has to sell it. But who will have the cash?

many people aren't directly impacted by the covid19 situation. not to mention, a lot have profited from it as well.

most of the people that were living ie: in the USA with a $400-500 emergency backup fund and paycheck to paycheck wouldn't have been interested in the R5 no matter what (as an example).

Even pros, if they are so impacted by it financially, most likely they wouldn't be interested in a new camera regardless of price. it was never going to be a $2000 camera.

and just because this happened - does mean that Canon turns around and gives it away at a loss or what you deem is an acceptable price.

Also, retailers get volume deals as well, to help with promotion, so it really depends on the arrangements between Canon UK and the retailer really. The cost to the retailers - is what Canon charges them - the rest is a payment to the retailer, to I don't know.. run promotions, pay staff, buildings, taxes, that sort of thing. What you are complaining about is not Canon - but the fact that Canon has the unprecedented nerve to want the retailers to make money on the camera.

we don't know what the FOB price is - and lets face it, the UK is an expensive country to do business in.

Canon would have developed the camera - with a price in mind, but in a few months before release is supposed to strip down that price? I can't see any business with long development timelines surviving doing that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

subtraho

Birds and Macro
CR Pro
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
twitter.com
It's probably already been calculated here, seems like if accurate it points toward $3800 USD.

€4500 minus (est) ~25%ish VAT and an exchange rate of 1.1240 gives (4500 - (4500 * .25)) * 1.1240 = $ 3793.50

The same calculation (no inflation adjustment) using numbers from the 5DIV: launch price of €4129 and historical exchange rate of 1.1278 (launch date 25 August 2016) gives $3492.51, very close to the actual $3500 launch price.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It just seems counterintuitive for a company looking for mass adoption among pros to be charging over 10% more for a body considering the state of the global economy.
I just don't understand the idea that the professional photographer/videographer market is some huge sea of adopters that this camera was developed for, or the idea that professional photographers/videographers all have the pockets deep enough, pandemic or no pandemic. Granted, there will be professional photographers/videographers buying the camera. The mass, though, will be people who never shoot for money. Professional photographers range in income from $0 to $gobs just like the rest of us. Being a professional in any field does not automatically mean well heeled.

Upvote 0