Canon EOS R5 records 4 hours of 4KHQ 30p to an external recorder, with a couple of simple tweaks

Jul 16, 2012
This Canon chart says that it can record 8K IPB 10 bit video to SD v90 or above card. Wouldn't this mean that you could record 10 bit 8K without any CFexpress card in the slot? I wonder if you record continuously for hours this way?

SD card has the same limits. Ive tried different cards, batteries, the cards have been very cool, none of these seem to change things much.

Either something inside is very hot that cant be cooled easily, they are very cautious in their cooling times, or its a bug.

Upvote 0
Line skipping is more challenging for optic i believe ,softness may be from soft optic too? Nearly all RF lenses are soft with 45mpix sensor.
Every RF lense makes max sharp with downsampled Hq4k
Bro are you kidding . You think RF lenses are soft for a 45 MP sensor .My Canon 35 L 2 , 85 1.4 , old 85 1.2L2 and 300 2.8 lens easily out resolve a 51Mp 5DSr. And you think latest RF lenses cant resolve a 45 MP sensor .
I haven't read anything bad about any RF lens till now , except their very high Prices .

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Bro are you kidding . You think RF lenses are soft for a 45 MP sensor .My Canon 35 L 2 , 85 1.4 , old 85 1.2L2 and 300 2.8 lens easily out resolve a 51Mp 5DSr. And you think latest RF lenses cant resolve a 45 MP sensor .
I haven't read anything bad about any RF lens till now , except their very high Prices .
I was going to say the same. My RF 85mm f1.2 is the sharpest lens I have ever used, and it is also damn sharp on my R5. No complaints at all, can easily cover 45mp

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I was going to say the same. My RF 85mm f1.2 is the sharpest lens I have ever used, and it is also damn sharp on my R5. No complaints at all, can easily cover 45mp
i sayed nearly all RF lenses ,i bet sharpest ones can do perfect job. :p I was thinking zoom lenses peoples mostly use.
Btw should be easy test if 24-105 f4 is perfect . just to take picture with 85mm f1,2 and 85mm from 24-105 with R5 and show 100% crops

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i sayed nearly all RF lenses ,i bet sharpest ones can do perfect job. :p I was thinking zoom lenses peoples mostly use.
The RF 70-200 2.8L will also resolve 45mp without an issue.. probably a few others as well. The RF 15-35 2.8 is meant to be quite sharp too, but I don't own that one

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
The RF 70-200 2.8L will also resolve 45mp without an issue.. probably a few others as well. The RF 15-35 2.8 is meant to be quite sharp too, but I don't own that one
During one of the BH Photo live chats with a Canon USA engineer they asked about resolving power of RF and EF glass and I he was pretty clear that it was not an issue pointing out the 50mp 5dr as an example.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
@Resolution: Experiments For Ultra High Resolution Camera Sensors

45Mp FF sensors are nothing.

As Roger points out, in the range of a potential 150MP-FF-Sensor we would realy need better glass. With such a thingy no current lens can outresolve the sensor. With a 150MP-Sensor only the Zeiss Otus and the best Sony/Sigma-Primes will give good results - only in the center, and only when stopped down.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Guys,I got an update from one of the canon staff that they had received email the new firmware will sort of fix the overheating issue with longer recording and faster recovery time.Finger cross,I still haven't place my pre order yet.
Good news indeed. Do you have an estimated time on the fix availability? Thank you.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
@Resolution: Experiments For Ultra High Resolution Camera Sensors

45Mp FF sensors are nothing.

As Roger points out, in the range of a potential 150MP-FF-Sensor we would realy need better glass. With such a thingy no current lens can outresolve the sensor. With a 150MP-Sensor only the Zeiss Otus and the best Sony/Sigma-Primes will give good results - only in the center, and only when stopped down.
No that’s not what he said at all.

First, let me emphasize again that if we had a 150-megapixel camera and shot today’s lenses on it, the images would have more detail than that same lens on your current 36-megapixel camera. How much more? It’s hard to say. But remember you have to roughly quadruple megapixels to double resolution. If you’re shooting a 36-megapixel camera, then a 150-megapixel camera would about double your potential resolution. You’d notice the difference, especially if you crop the hell out of an image or print billboards or something.

Much higher resolution lenses will not realize close to potential sensor resolution so at best, using his rough rule of thumb, you’d end up with maybe another 30mp or so, or going from 70mp with current lenses to 100mp with new generation much more expensive lenses.

Mind you the entire idea of constantly moving forwards in this is, in my opinion, flawed. For movie/video use we intentionally use shutter speeds to blur each individual frame, 4kHQ and 8k demand higher shutter speeds to maintain the detail and have a distinct look far away from the ‘cinematic’ look so sought after by influencers, YouTube experts, and forum hobbits. For stills at ±50mp we already vastly outstrip the possible resolution of most output apart from people with the need to use extreme crops and whilst there is a user base with that requirement it is not the norm or close to it. I am a generalist professional photographer and sell prints up to 24” x 36” and I use 20mp. Sure I could use more resolution on occasions but I see little benefit 99% of the time for pros or amateurs or enthusiasts that warrants the expense of another new round of lenses and cameras, we passed the point of diminishing returns on mp a long time ago.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
NoFilmSchool.com have done their tests: https://nofilmschool.com/testing-canon-r5-overheating

conclusion:

>
So, if your main workflow requires 4K DCI or 4K UHD 29.97/23.99fps 10-bit 4:2:2 with a Log gamma curve option, the R5 has you covered. Albeit there is a 29 minute 59-second record limit, but that can be immediately started again after being maxed out without overheating. If you're already in the Canon ecosystem, then the R5 may be worth the consideration. For now, the R5 should be looked at as a 4K mirrorless hybrid that has options for 8K, 4K 60p, 4K 120p, and oversampling, rather than an 8K workhorse video camera. The physics of the camera limit the latter.

There are other plenty of other options out there if you do need 8K, longer 4K 60p record times, or longer 4K 120p Hopefully, this test will help you arrive on a decision.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
For anybody with a brain this quote "For now, the R5 should be looked at as a 4K mirrorless hybrid that has options for 8K, 4K 60p, 4K 120p, and oversampling, rather than an 8K workhorse video camera. The physics of the camera limit the latter." should have been obvious from before release. Which makes me wonder about all this utter bullshit over the last week. ...."people are crazy"...

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Regarding R5 Resolution and Lenses

Resolution is stated as lpmm at a given contrast level, or contrast level at a given lpmm. Or even better, graphed as a MTF curve. System resolution will always be weaker than the weakest component, but improving any component will improve the final result bringing it closer to that theoretical ceiling. Therefore it's incorrect to say that a lens out resolves a sensor, or a sensor out resolves a lens. Likewise it's incorrect to say you need certain lenses to realize a sensor's resolution, or that certain lenses aren't sharp enough to make a higher resolution sensor worth it. That's just not how it works.

Bob Atkins illustrated this in his review of the Canon 5Ds. He shot the worst Canon EF lens he could find on a 6D and a 5Ds, and the result was substantially sharper/more detailed on the 5Ds. People who argue about whether or not this RF lens or that RF lens is 'up to the task' of a 45mp sensor miss the point. A cheap consumer zoom from the 1990s will produce better images on an R5 than an R6.

"Equivalent megapixels" is also a grossly inaccurate and misleading concept. I get that even people who know better use this idea and terminology to try to illustrate to the masses what different lenses might mean, but it only misleads. It's one of the things I hate most about how DxO presents the results of their tests.

Megapixels is not a statement of resolution, but of sensor sampling rate which sets a ceiling on the lpmm axis of an MTF curve (Nyquist). So it's incorrect to say that a 150mp sensor with X lens would be equivalent to a 100mp sensor. There are no perfect lenses such that you could create a 100mp sensor reference point. Even if you did, that reference point would be valid for one specific 100mp sensor only as the sensor stack impacts the MTF curve. And even a lens that would be considered a poor choice for a 150mp sensor might still be able to resolve more lpmm at MTF10 than the sensor can resolve due to Nyquist. So what point on the MTF curve would we use to compare systems assuming a reference system everyone could agree on?

It's so much easier to just plot the MTF curve and understand it.

For stills at ±50mp we already vastly outstrip the possible resolution of most output apart from people with the need to use extreme crops and whilst there is a user base with that requirement it is not the norm or close to it. I am a generalist professional photographer and sell prints up to 24” x 36” and I use 20mp.

20mp 3:2 at 36" results in a print with roughly 152 ppi. (Going from R6 pixel dimensions as different cameras can be "20mp" yet be slightly different in file pixel dimensions.) That's acceptable, but a person with healthy vision can absolutely discern the difference between that and the 224 ppi of the R5 or the 241 ppi of the 5Ds/sR at close viewing distance.

To what degree it matters, if at all, depends on the subject, artistic intent, viewing audience, etc. But for some subject matter I consider the difference to be substantial, to be the difference between a good print of the subject and a truly immersive one. And 36" is not the largest print one can make or people can buy.

You certainly do start to get into diminishing returns, and we've been there this past decade with digital photography. But I wouldn't mind seeing 75-100mp 35mm sensors and 200-300mp MF (true 645) sensors.

Upvote 0
why doesn't someone use an IR thermometer to measure the card (sd and cfe) temperature when the first overheat warning comes on?

if that temperature is consistent for say 4k60 and 4k30hq with either card then we can confirm the first overheat warning is triggered by a temperature sensor in the card slot or on the card itself.

When recording to ATOMOS without cards, the 4hr overheat warning must be triggered by a different temp sensor

Last edited:
Upvote 0