Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

So... any guesses what the R6M1 price will drop to, refurb from Canon? Let's say, a year from now? Because... guys, I know you're all already on to the next thing, but the R6 was an amazing baby 1Dx MK III just yesterday, and for those of us who will never ever pay 1DX/R5 kind of money, the R6M1 might just be the best value refurb body that Canon will have on the market for a long time.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
If it works for you, great. But, honestly in my experience (1Dx II, 1Dx III, several 5Ds, R5, R, R3) I have never been able to see a significant difference in noise performance between lower and higher resolution sensors of the same or similar generation. I currently shoot an R3 and an R5 side by side and without looking at the EXIF I would be hard pressed to find a difference between the two.
I would take this further and say that viewers would be hard-pressed to find a difference between any of the cameras made in the last 10 years.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Oh, the best decision I've made here was blocking + muting certain forumers. I think I've had neuro muted for almost 3 years and only unmute him in order to have an argument every once in a while.
I missed Nuero. I havent seen a post from him all year but I barely been here lately.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
All these specs and the inside information person writes 24mp CMOS Sensor. Omitting the obvious important word "stacked"? An educated guess would be that its not the stacked sensor from the R3 at all. Nobody would forget to accertain that bit of all important information unless they've been living under a technology rock. A plain basic "CMOS Sensor"? Heck at least minimum mid tier devices released at this time should be BSI CMOS. Canon said that they would be rolling out the stacked sensors. Well, rumors stating "CMOS sensor" does very little to confirm that notion has come into reality. And no, resolution numbers prove nada.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Owning the R, R5 and R6 I can honestly say I never miss the top LCD screen when switching between the three cameras.
I always want the camera with top LCD, but I rarely use it :LOL:
The R7 is my first one without top LCD and not really missing it either.

All these specs and the inside information person writes 24mp CMOS Sensor. Omitting the obvious important word "stacked"? An educated guess would be that its not the stacked sensor from the R3 at all. Nobody would forget to accertain that bit of all important information unless they've been living under a technology rock.
Indeed, if that was the case they would say 'stacked' or 'R3 sensor' in leaked specs. Would also be a stupid business move from Canon.
They are even afraid to give us a ~30mpix sensor with R6 II in case that would hurt R5 sales. So for that reason we certainly won't see a R II with ~30mpix sensor priced below the R6. Too bad, because 30mpix with my Canon EOS R is really the sweet spot for everything. Just wish it had the R7 AF :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nice. Basically a mini R3, minus some of the more top end features, but for general purpose shooting, all the important bits look to be there. This should reduce costs a bit for Canon since they can stop making the 1DxMIII/R6 sensor and basically have 3 full frame sensors, the R3/R6II, the R5, and the RP sensor (unless they've already discontinued the RP, then just two full frame sensors), and two crop sensors, the R7 and R10.

The R8 rumor I'm finding to be a bit less likely now especially with the R6II seemingly coming, unless it's meant to be a very entry level full frame camera like the RP. What I'd now like to see is the R1, and a high resolution R5, like 100+MP. That'd be awesome. The R1 should be a stacked BSI version of the R5, the high resolution R5 should have at least the same pixel density as the R7, if not more.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

photophil

In therapy for GAS
Jun 17, 2022
HD
The digital teleconverter would only be a function where it crops in and enlarges the image based on some kind of in-camera algorithm, right? At least that's how Olympus does it in a couple of models.
What is hybrid auto supposed to mean though?
Not exactly a significant improvement over the original R6, so might indeed just be Canon switching to a different sensor due for some kind of production reason?

Upvote 0
I hear everybody else is saying that a dedicated mode dial is faster and easier.
But the only thing I miss after upgrading from the R to the R6 is the mode button, which enabled switching mode without taking my eye away from the viewfinder. The mode dial is also guess and try when you’re in the dark.

Since they depend on each other, I hope the R6 II comes with top LCD and mode button :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hear everybody else is saying that a dedicated mode dial is faster and easier.
But the only thing I miss after upgrading from the R to the R6 is the mode button, which enabled switching mode without taking my eye away from the viewfinder. The mode dial is also guess and try when you’re in the dark.

Since they depend on each other, I hope the R6 II comes with top LCD and mode button :)
Wait what!? Just turn the button and look here (number 4, from the R6 manual)

Attachments

• UG-09_s0020_M.jpg
    UG-09_s0020_M.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I wouldn’t say I ‘take issue’ with the idea, in the sense that I have a problem with them doing so. I doubt Canon will (and maybe that’s exactly what you meant), but as I stated if they do that’s great for R6II buyers.
We don't know what the bottleneck in camera production is and we also don't know how the R3 sensor production has been ramped or scheduled.

Suppose the bottleneck is the metalwork, the sensor production can outpace the body production. That would build up the needed buffer for using the sensor both in the R3 and R6II.

If someone has some insight in how many parts per month Canon can build, please let us now!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
If Canon does release a Mk II of the R6, and if it does have a jump to 24MP, so long as the low light / high ISO performance is at least as good as the original R6 (but preferably better), and the Mk II still accepts an optional battery grip, then I'm sold. It'd be bonser if it also gets a top LCD. I don't give a rat's fat clack if the sensor is back stacked or front stacked or sideways diagonally stacked; if it can perform even slightly better in high ISO's as the R6 I'll be as happy as a rat with a gold tooth. Funny how people assume BSI must be better because it's the latest marketing buzzline yet many don't consider the possibility that maybe the other makers haven't been able to figure out how to improve CMOS sensor performance so they have gone down a different path as a Plan B (happy to be proven wrong, just keeping an open mind). Reminds me of the absurd gimmicks from CD player makers in the 90's claiming things like stable platters improved sound despite the data stream from the laser was being digitally pushed into a buffer for CIRC error correction for deinterleaving then clocked out by a quartz crystal timebase so as long as the buffer never underflowed or overflowed, the speed of the disc could fluctuate all day and make zero impact on the audio quality. We shouldn't get hung up on catchy marketing names that mean diddly squat if the low light performance is on point. </ falls off soap box>

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Are you saying that as someone who uses an R7, or someone who's seen pictures and read reviews of it?
I'm not him/her/it but I'm saying it as an R7 owner. I have to constantly be aware where my right thumb is so that I don't inadvertently change the exposure compensation.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Just to set the record straight. The comment that got you into trouble was the suggestion that Canon failed to accurately predict sales of the R3 and had a bunch of R3 sensors sitting around that they needed to use up, so they were putting them into the R6. Clearly a ridiculous proposition since it would require that Canon is so poorly managed that they would be unable to accurately predict demand and would compound that error by continuing to make sensors which there was no demand for. @neuroanatomist pointed out that the total sales of the R6 far exceeds those of the R3, so using up sensors in that manner makes even less sense, since they could not possibly have that many sensors sitting around

While @neuroanatomist takes issue with the idea that Canon might use the same sensor in the R6II. I don't really have an opinion on that. In fact I think it is quite likely that they might use the same or similar sensor. But, that wasn't the point, although you have since tried to pretend it was.
Oh I’m in trouble? Canon absolutely could have an error in their calculations. You keyboard warriors here act as if canon is god and knows all. You sit upon your keyboard throwns with all of your insider wisdom( that was sarcasm ) and think you know all. All I did is throw out a possibility that I knew that Mr. narcissist would respond too.
Also is it really a ridiculous proposition as you say? I don’t think I ever said there wasn’t demand for a sensor but there is not the same demand for that camera body as the r6.
I love how you guys all jump in defense of the narcissist it’s really entertaining. Cameras are fun go play with them stop defending a narcissist and realize at the end of the day nothing that is said on this forum actually matters especially what narcissist thinks.

Upvote 0