Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Feb 6, 2019
depending on price and video features, I may consider this camera. It would make a great vlogging camera pending video specs. I would assume there will be a 4k crop but should be less since the sensor has less mp
Perhaps that's the target consumer. Thousands of Youtubers these days can film/narrate just as good or better than the multi-million dollar Hollywood budget.

Upvote 0

YnR

Dec 19, 2018
Jesus, still people moaning about 'bad' this or 'better Sony' that. When do you imbeciles understand it's a tool, any shortcoming in the end result is YOUR fault, not your equipment.

If you’re not pushing the limits of the camera that makes complete sense but in low light, long exposure scenarios, you couldn’t be more wrong. And fixing it in post isn’t the answer I’m looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
One observation for everyone moaning about IBIS or jumping every time IS is mentioned with relation to Canon's camera body. This is unicorn.

Even if Canon adds IBIS to their next body, it will be just marketing gimmick. They already stated how much they trust their possible first version of IBIS by their roadmap of RF lenses with build in IS. If they had good working IBIS ready for PRO body, they would not need to do something like 15-35 IS or 35 IS maybe even 24-70 IS.

If Canon launches IBIS it will be in my opinion far behind competition in its first version and people will be moaning again.
People that mention about IBIS are likely not serious (or lack of standard) about the product they output (e.g. photo or vid work). There are tons of youtubers that review products and perhaps they need those features to talk about or bait people into their less sensible narratives.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
At this price point...I think these cameras will fly off the shelves. I think a lot of curious pros / semi pros will buy one just to try and then use them as a 2nd or 3rd camera body.
Yes, that's why making it with a lesser battery is an annoyance for them (just like the single SD slot was for the 6D II or EOS R in comparison to a 5D III or 5D IV)

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I use a 5DIV, which I think will be my last DSLR. I think that Canon is moving in the right direction with the RP. I do like the smaller body, even if it is plastic, it is still a FF camera and if they have tweeked the sensor a little to get better dynamic range, that will have my attention. It will probably make a great travel camera. Since it is small, I do hope that they will make a battery grip for it, but I have not seen any indication of that. With this camera, the original R and a forthcoming pro mirrorless R-body and all the new R-Lenses, I think that Canon will have all the bases covered for a couple of years.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I use a 5DIV, which I think will be my last DSLR. I think that Canon is moving in the right direction with the RP. I do like the smaller body, even if it is plastic, it is still a FF camera and if they have tweeked the sensor a little to get better dynamic range, that will have my attention. It will probably make a great travel camera. Since it is small, I do hope that they will make a battery grip for it, but I have not seen any indication of that. With this camera, the original R and a forthcoming pro mirrorless R-body and all the new R-Lenses, I think that Canon will have all the bases covered for a couple of years.
Yes it is going to be a simple grip extension, for a battery grip one probably needs to step up to an EOS R (and I guess the top-end model will have the vertical grip built-in, just like an OM-D E-M1X)

Upvote 0
I am still not sure what Canon is doing with the R series. Are they in a position now where they are going to have 5 full frame mirrorless cameras? Does everyone see it this way at the current time?

1. RP- entry level FF
2. R- Mid range
3. ??- 5d mk4 replacement in Mirrorless form
4. ??- 5dsr replacement in mirrorless form
5. ?? 1dx2 replacement in mirrorless. This seems to be way down the road if the rumor of the 1dx2 replacement being a DSLR holds true.

It does not make sense to me to have the 5dmk4 and 5dsr lines become 1 camera. I am wanting to jump in on this system but will not do so until a get a camera better then my 5d4.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
I am still not sure what Canon is doing with the R series. Are they in a position now where they are going to have 5 full frame mirrorless cameras? Does everyone see it this way at the current time?

1. RP- entry level FF
2. R- Mid range
5. ?? 1dx2 replacement in mirrorless. This seems to be way down the road if the rumor of the 1dx2 replacement being a DSLR holds true.

It does not make sense to me to have the 5dmk4 and 5dsr lines become 1 camera. I am wanting to jump in on this system but will not do so until a get a camera better then my 5d4.

IMO, 4 lines.
Rp
R
Rs (high mp version of the R)
Rx (sports 1DX)

I doubt they'll come out with an exact 5D Mark IV replacement, but over time, make the R Mark II,etc more like the 5D series.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Although I see how huge of a potential it would be for Canon to make it widely spread and sell sh*tloads of them, in the meantime I'm also confused. Casual consumers buying camera in Walmart have no idea at all what full frame is, never shoot RAW, etc...M should be their camera. Or an even cheaper and weaker RP below $1000 which has the "serious" look, competes with Sony in that regard, but half the price.
Or maybe I just tend to forget how much more money Japanese and Americans have and it's totally common to buy body only for $1500 for casual consumers.

There's no doubt that the EOS M cameras would be a much more practical choice (and in all reality far wiser choice) for an average consumer. It really all comes down to the in-store marketing promotions and how effectively Canon would communicate the advantages of their full-frame system over the APS-C system. A casual consumer would need to see visual representations of full-frame versus APS-C in terms of: sensor size, field of view, depth of field, low-light performance, and other key performance areas. It would be just like shopping for a large screen 4k HDR television and comparing it a 1080p television; obviously more expensive, but the differences are easily visible when you compare them side-by-side in the store.

Selling the $1299-$1599 body-only model would be critical, however. Consumerism always favors the route of up-selling; in this case, buying a $1299-$1599 body that can be rationalized as having major advantages over the latest EOS M body for only $400-$500 more (depending on sales events), and then supplementing that purchase with a x10 optical zoom (RF 24-240mm IS USM) that will meet all your photographic needs for just $800-$900 more (although I'm not sure how much that one will actually cost). That sales combo would likely outsell the RP+24-105mm F/4L kit, even though they would be fairly close to the same price.

Upvote 0
IMO, 4 lines.
Rp
R
Rs (high mp version of the R)
Rx (sports 1DX)

I doubt they'll come out with an exact 5D Mark IV replacement, but over time, make the R Mark II,etc more like the 5D series.

Your prob right and if you are im looking at another 3 years prob until they upgrade that camera for me to buy. I like the camera but I have trouble spending 2K+ on a camera that will not have improved image quality over what I currently have.

Upvote 0
People that mention about IBIS are likely not serious (or lack of standard) about the product they output (e.g. photo or vid work). There are tons of youtubers that review products and perhaps they need those features to talk about or bait people into their less sensible narratives.

I must object to this. I’m possibly interested in IBIS and I’m very serious about my photographic output. My interest is unrelated to “gimmicky” tech but very much related to the practicalities of my personal situation. I’m older. I’m in good health but am thinking forward to a time when I may not be able to hold my camera as steadily as I can now. IBIS in combination with lens stabilization may be quite beneficial, not to mention with lenses having no built-in stabilization. Up to this point I’ve not given IBIS a second thought. In any event, I’m interested in a new camera and whether it has IBIS or not won’t be the deciding factor but will be something I mull over. If I do decide to go with IBIS, it’ll be in the Fujifilm X-H1 since I have have four good Fuji lenses, two of which are unstabilized. I love my Canon gear and will continue to use it. I guess my point is that different photographers may have very different needs.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
They could make the 5Ds replacement a bit like the D850, like a do-it-all camera with the option to shoot raw in lower resolution (and possibly faster fps)
In Canon's book, the name suggests it is a derivative of the 5D line with a specialized high-megapixel sensor (and of course it can produce lower res files).

So that would mean that the EOS Rs would have more or less similar body as the EOS R (itself a mirrorless derivative of the 5D) with a different sensor.

Or another possibility that it is derived from their, bigger higher-end body that is still coming, so one "Pro" body with dual card slots but with two different sensors (one for sports and video and another for high-resolution, which is a formula that three other FF MILC competitors are already using)

Or maybe we will see four R bodies and they all look different to each other - except saying EOS R at the front and the exact model written elsewhere ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This seems like a great entry into full frame cameras, very close to the 6D2 gives you a good choice if you want to go into mirrorless or stay with DSLR you can get pretty comparable cameras at a reasonable price. If they have an inexpensive but reasonable lens for this, I could see it being a big seller and a good launch point towards canon's future full frame R series cameras and lenses. Seems like this will really undercut the Nikon Z6 for people looking at their first full frame, the Sony A7III is still a better choice and worth more than its price but that won't matter as people (including me) will tend to tell people who want to get in to photography that you can't go wrong with Canon.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012

1. RP- entry level FF
2. R- Mid range

I think a lot of people are with you.

Upvote 0

1. RP- entry level FF
2. R- Mid range

Because Canon does not give us their roadmap, we are all guessing along with you.

Upvote 0