Canon increased its global market share of still cameras in 2018

Just wait till the the RF F/2.8 (and eventually F/4) zooms and the next body come out :)
I personally think that Canon will continue to own the camera world. Its too bad that Nikon isn’t doing as well because both Canon and Nikon have vastly superior camera bodies compared to Sony.

NIkon isn't doing that bad. 20% market share is respectable

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I am surprised Olympus out sells Panasonic.

While the % bodies is going up for Canon I highly suspect both the actual number of and the average price per body is well down. The numbers I have been wondering about are the lens sales. Any one seen any numbers?
I'm not, an M43 kit is 'almost' always going to be less expensive than APS-C. Plus Oly's are cuter, however, noise above 1600 isn't cute, lol.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I can answer most of this for CR ;)
  • Total Units of all digital cameras (including compact)
  • camera bodies, so those in kits as well.
  • global unit sales
Nikkei does it themselves, and puts the data behind a paywall.

However as I stated on my site about this article there's something weird about their percentage gains,etc.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
Just wait till the the RF F/2.8 (and eventually F/4) zooms and the next body come out :)

NIkon isn't doing that bad. 20% market share is respectable
Yes, agreed.
I think most cameras are pretty capable these days. I have always preferred Canon for their ergonomics and optics. Nikon are good as well. I know that many are jumping to Sony because they are the “in” thing at the moment and that’s fine. I just don’t care for their handling. Maybe that will change as they mature over time. For me though, Im perfectly happy with Canon.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I can't believe it!

I want to know names, surnames and addresses of the few crazy people still buying Canon products.

I am one of those few, however a family friend bought a Sony a7r iii 6 months ago and as per our conversation last night still mastering .. the getting around menu :) he hasn’t took much photos yet, but is getting up to that stage soon.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Camera companies all share a big issue, the sales of cameras is dropping like a rock. Canon saw this coming a few years ago and has moved into industrial and medical applications for imaging. This has put them into a good cash position because of rising income from those fields.

Nikon is really continuing to lose ground to both Canon and Sony. They have some excellent products, but buyers get frustrated with small details like warranties on gray market cameras and refusal to repair them in the USA or even to tell buyers of used gear how to determine if it is gray market. Its best to avoid buying used Nikon Gear unless the seller has proof that its a US model. Its a small thing, but can really hurt you if you stiff a Nikon owner.

Upvote 0
Personally I find this financial stuff is somewhat interesting, but it only affects my long-term plans on 'investing' into one or another camera system. E.g. I'd avoid buying a gear from a dying manufacturer.

But from a more practical standpoint, the comments like "ha-ha, take it, Sony, you suck" don't make much sense. Sony isn't dying and the market share figures have zero influence on the image quality, megapixels, dynamic range, lens sharpness, lens range and availability etc. If I'm to change Canon to Sony, these market figures mean nothing to me. If I'm to stay with Canon, they mean even less than nothing.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Guys! Time for a reality check here!

I'm not even sure what they are measuring. The story reads as though they are measuring the overall camera market, which would include both DSLRs and Mirrorless and maybe even point and shoots and analog cameras.

If that's the case, remember that one of the top selling cameras worldwide is the Fuji Instax.
I agree, and thanks for this input. Fuji Instax sales numbers are really impressive, according to Fuji's 3Q 2018 financial report. With the brilliant move to throw a Taylor Swift branded Instax in the market they have increased sales to more than 900.000 copies a month:

As a film shooter (in my Mr Hyde life of photography), I love to see how smart Fuji steers their ship in the analogue market.

But even those market shares reported here on CR need a critical second view, I think they do reflect Canon's position in this shrinking market. So, we Canon users can be optimistic that our gear investments will have a future. Not sure about Nikon (sorry for my wife). On the other side, Nikon, like Canon, makes many other products e.g. for the industrial market, so both do not completely depend on the camera market. That's a sort of reassurance In times of fast and disruptive trends in consumer electronics markets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Olympus shouldn't surprise anyone. The shine has come off the apple when it comes to M43. Fuji is making a last gasp along with Pentax. Sigma is all but buried by now, last rites are being read. M43 is, for all practcal purposes, mostly useless when it comes to legacy lenses due to the horrendous crop. I mean, when a 28mm lens is an effective 56mm, a 135mm is an effective 270mm, an a 400mm Mamiya/Sekor is an effective 800mm, there really isn't anything appealing about that market. Mine is a fine little camera, but it just is not very useful... no matter what the paid pros claim in their wedding photography world. I mean really, I have to get a 17mm Takumar the get an effective 34mm? It sucks. 8mm lens just to get an effective 16mm? Basically an M43 camera is about the same price as an RP and the RP is FF and nearly as small. Don't have that stupid 2X crop to worry with either. M43 is going to die, (My opinion) or be a very niche market. (Already is, really.)
Not sure about M43 and Olympus. In wildlife photography e.g. I personally met in particular this year more M43 camera users with smaller tele lenses than ever before, including two people with the new E-M1X pro bodies. That's my personal experience, of course, and does not reflect real statistics. But I have also observed how Sony started to penetrate even the wildlife market. So maybe M43 isn't a completely dead end yet. In fact, when I get older and can't carry a FF system with an EF 500mm lens plus other lenses anymore, I'd seriously consider to switch to a M43 system (or whatever smaller systems will be available in future).

That said, I think that the E-M1X is over the top in terms of form factor. This camera is as nearly big as a FF body. But it seems to attract some fans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I don't believe any of those articles are factually incorrect, but their interpretation of figures released certainly present different conclusions.

It depends on what you are measuring - for example many of the links you posted were about FF cameras, but they are just a part of the market, and not the biggest ones. While many of us here (and other photo forums) are obsessed with the high-end models (or the ones just below), a lot of sales worldwide are made of a lot of low-end models.

If the numbers are in bodies sold, I think Canon is selling a lot of low-end bodies too, an area where customers may be more sensible to brand recognition, price and availability than spec sheets.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
With twice the market share of their nearest competitor, something would be seriously amiss if Canon is not the market leader by revenue.

It's not unprecedented, Samsung is the leading smartphone manufacturer by unit volume with 50% more shipments than Apple, but is only the second by revenue.

Canon's DSLR volume is in the 4000D / 1300D / 200D etc segments, where margins are tight despite using run-out technology. When a kit is selling for £248 on Amazon there's surely not a lot of wiggle-room.

Upvote 0