Canon lays out their corporate strategy

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
They prioritized the L lenses as the ILC market has become more non-consumer.

My guess is these also have a higher profit margin, and so were the best way to package their (pandemic limited) semiconductors.

As weird as the R launch was (meh bodies great glass) I really can't fault much about canon's rollout when I look at it "all in" from a business+consumer needs standpoint.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
You got simple math wrong. lol

I could lament on the sad state of millennials’ mathematical abilities. You might want to bust out a calculator and try multiplying 6 million by 0.3.
I'm fairly sure the calculation @dolina did was 6 million x 0.3 x 0.48, as his reference to less (fewer) than 900k was a reference to the number of Canon DSLRs, not all DSLRs.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I'm fairly sure the calculation @dolina did was 6 million x 0.3 x 0.48, as his reference to less (fewer) than 900k was a reference to the number of Canon DSLRs, not all DSLRs.
A fellow numbers guy. Hello there!

I'd provide the reference here but I have been told off previous that they do not want to see tables. lol

Upvote 0
My guess is these also have a higher profit margin, and so were the best way to package their (pandemic limited) semiconductors.
Bullseye!
As weird as the R launch was (meh bodies great glass) I really can't fault much about canon's rollout when I look at it "all in" from a business+consumer needs standpoint.
I believe Canon did an EF L & 1-Series refresh between 2018-2020 for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

RF system launched in 2018. 2020-onrward they have been pushing R3, R5, R6, R6 Mark II and mostly RF L lenses.

Upvote 0
"offering attractive products that anticipate market demands"

My demand for a retro-styled full frame mirrorless camera is high, you know what to do Canon...

I think that's a Nikon Zfc. ;-)

1624927640_1649279.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
You got simple math wrong. lol

I could lament on the sad state of millennials’ mathematical abilities. You might want to bust out a calculator and try multiplying 6 million by 0.3.

6 million is the total ILC market and obviously Canon's marketshare is not 100% but around 40-50%.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Er, I was agreeing with you on the subject of more consumer RF lenses. I just said there would also be more RF lenses. Probably about 50/50, on that we agree, I think.

Forward-thinking companies don't only follow demand, they also *create* demand.

Hence 8K was a major selling point for the R5, and the twin fish-eye was designed to create a new genre of photography.
My gosh people actually argue and discuss this? Who really cares

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon's goals of MILC market share needs to be met with more lens releases. The number of RF lenses released in 2022 was rather disappointing.
Does it? Honest question. APS-C bodies still solidly outsell FF bodies.

Canon knows how many EF-M lenses like the 11-22, 32/1.4 and 28mm macro they sold compared to M bodies. Likewise, they joke how many EF-S lenses like the 10-22, 15-85 and 17-55/2.8 they sold. I suspect the vast majority of their APS-C lenses they sold were 18-xx and 55-xxx zooms in 1- and 2-lens body kits.

Canon launched ~7 RF lenses last year. How many did Sony and Nikon launch?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0