Canon Lightfield / Plenoptic Cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jbwise01

So.. I came across the Lytro "Light Field Camera"

This is an extremely interesting concept... and for those unfamiliar with lightfield cameras and what they bring to the table let me quicly explain:

First:
-Lightfield camera capture all the “light information” of a scene, what Lytro calls “Living Pictures”
-The current consumer version of these cameras produce only 1mp images
-There is no focal point system
-The most important and amazing part… you have the capability AFTER you take the picture.

That’s right.. there’s no “oh a accidently focused on that the background” with this type of camera…

Here’s the science behind it for those interested.

https://www.lytro.com/science_inside

And here's some deep science reading about something called a Plenoptic Camera which is even more advanced..
http://www.tgeorgiev.net/Multi_Focus.pdf

SO I personally think that this is a game-changing concept…

This has the potential to literally changes the way you shoot photos.

Now.. I know that tack sharp photos are the goal of all photographers.. and I don’t quite understand all the science behind light field cameras, but one thing is for certain.. if this tech evolved into an 18 MP camera with the ability to make every image tack sharp by picking the perfect focus point after the fact, well this would change photography in a big way.

Would Canon be interested in this tech?
Is this something Canon should worry about?
Will Canon produce a "lightfield camera" or a Plenoptic Camera?

I would love to here the opinions of some of the more informed Photographers out there.. what do you think?

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I think there is already a thread on this.

From what I've seen, the images are pretty soft. This could be very interesting at some point, but I'm guessing were a few years away from these camera's achieving the kind of quality that would make them of interest to most DSLR owners.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
You don't get something for nothing. There is a trade off between spatial resolution and directional/angular resolution. Basically the more megapixels you need, the less flexibility you have to refocus after the fact.

Of course having all the microlenses introduces further complications including diffraction limitations, chromatic aberrations, and aliasing. I've not seen an image from these type of cameras that looks very sharp.

If you really want to get into the details, I suggest the CEO of Lytro's thesis: https://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2011
Ya know, this may be unpopular. Maybe I'm just old fashion, but this thing is a goofy little toy. A party camera, a gimmick, and not a photographic tool. I get so annoyed every time I hear about this. Honestly I was child when the auto focus revolution came long and I can tell you now I would have resisted it. I would also have resisted digital technology. I like tech actually. I tend to be a gear head a little bit. But come on, let's at least stop short of removing every last ounce of skill needed to be a photographer.

Ug, I think I'll go shoot film tomorrow...

Am I being resistant to new things? Yes. And I'm fine with that. I'm also very tired and cranky.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
EYEONE said:
Ya know, this may be unpopular. Maybe I'm just old fashion, but this thing is a goofy little toy. A party camera, a gimmick, and not a photographic tool. I get so annoyed every time I hear about this. Honestly I was child when the auto focus revolution came long and I can tell you now I would have resisted it. I would also have resisted digital technology. I like tech actually. I tend to be a gear head a little bit. But come on, let's at least stop short of removing every last ounce of skill needed to be a photographer.

Ug, I think I'll go shoot film tomorrow...

Am I being resistant to new things? Yes. And I'm fine with that. I'm also very tired and cranky.

Two advantages I've heard so far, once resolution reaches a decent level.
[list type=decimal]
[*]Video. No need for autofocus / focus pull at all -- can set focus in post-production
[*]Still photography: Leaves you free to frame your shot, which is the most creative part of the process. Again, you get to refine in post.
[/list]

Oh, one more cool thing: imagine the "Ken Burns effect" using this little jewel. Not only can you pan and zoom, but change focus as well. Now that would be cool.

"Toy"? Yes, but then so's a pinhole camera, and a lot of old-school photographers started that way. Toys are great teaching tools. It may not be a "tool" as you have grown accustomed to doing photography, but it may give artistic freedom to a bunch of new photographers. I say challenge yourself! Get one and try to prove yourself wrong! It's good to get out of your rut now and again. Now these new horseless carriages: just a passing fad!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.