Canon may be expensive but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2012
serendipidy said:
A wise man realizes that when he finds himself in a place where he is not welcome or doesn't harmoniously fit in, the better part of valor is to excuse himself and leave or to change his behavior. Just saying....

Bit extreme and unfair I think. I for one, like to look at an issue from various perspectives.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Mikael Risedal said:
You are quite provocative against me, with a answer like that, if you understand, your answers had been different

JR point out one thing there Im wrong

Im used to discuss facts at Dpreview, luminous-landscape, DXO, fred miranda and I have newer met a answers like "As usual, you appear to be right whatever Mikael would like us to believe so ... What's the point?" this shows only poor knowledge..

There seems to be a big problems here when Im questioning for example Neuro, Jrista answers.

I don't for one second doubt your knowledge of cameras. You come up with interesting and good information usually.

My humble suggestion to you is that you should use the preview button while posting and read carefully what you write so that incorrect / incomplete information is not supplied. My problem with you arose at the time of the "Half The Photons" discussion where, from your posts I got the impression that changing the ISO would somehow change the photons hitting the sensor. I'm sure you knew fully well that changing the ISO does not change the number of photons hitting the sensor then why the charade? What's the point of your expertise if you ultimately end up confusing people - Well you may very well say I'm a noob but there are a number of noobs on CR who log on only to look for some help?

Every time you have landed up in an argument was because you initially posted something which is incomplete / incorrect and when this was pointed out instead of simply agreeing that you missed out on something, you have adopted the "me against them" approach. Constant posts containing phrases "you don't understand how a sensor works", "poor knowledge", "you have no clue" are in bad taste and are sufficient to get people riled up.

Not having English as your first language doesn't help matters either.

BTW, If you are right, there is no need for you to "prove yourself right" - there are sufficient intelligent people here who will agree with you.

Neuro, Mt Spokane, wickidwombat and the others get a lot of respect here coz they try to help without insulting anyone.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
sanj said:
serendipidy said:
A wise man realizes that when he finds himself in a place where he is not welcome or doesn't harmoniously fit in, the better part of valor is to excuse himself and leave or to change his behavior. Just saying....

Bit extreme and unfair I think. I for one, like to look at an issue from various perspectives.

I agree. Mikael is knowledgeable and his posts are quite useful. The attitude problems can be sorted out keeping there are cultural issues also - He is, I believe, Swedish and his normal interaction with people may be different from what is considered usual. A word for word translation of a foreign language into English never looks good!

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Mikael Risedal said:
J.R. said:
Mikael Risedal said:
You are quite provocative against me, with a answer like that, if you understand, your answers had been different

Im used to discuss facts at Dpreview, luminous-landscape, DXO, fred miranda and I have newer met a answers like "As usual, you appear to be right whatever Mikael would like us to believe so ... What's the point?" this shows only poor knowledge..

There seems to be a big problems here when Im questioning for example Neuro, Jrista answers.

I don't for one second doubt your knowledge of cameras. You come up with interesting and good information usually.

My humble suggestion to you is that you should use the preview button while posting and read carefully what you write so that incorrect / incomplete information is not supplied. My problem with you arose at the time of the "Half The Photons" discussion where, from your posts I got the impression that changing the ISO would somehow change the photons hitting the sensor. I'm sure you knew fully well that changing the ISO does not change the number of photons hitting the sensor then why the charade? What's the point of your expertise if you ultimately end up confusing people - Well you may very well say I'm a noob but there are a number of noobs on CR who log on only to look for some help?

Every time you have landed up in an argument was because you initially posted something which is incomplete / incorrect and when this was pointed out instead of simply agreeing that you missed out on something, you have adopted the "me against them" approach. Constant posts containing phrases "you don't understand how a sensor works", "poor knowledge", "you have no clue" are in bad taste and are sufficient to get people riled up.

BTW, If you are right, there is no need for you to "prove yourself right" - there are sufficient intelligent people here who will agree with you.

Neuro, Mt Spokane, wickidwombat and the others get a lot of respect here coz they try to help without insulting anyone.

JR WROTE :I got the impression that changing the ISO would somehow change the photons hitting the sensor. I'm sure you knew fully well that changing the ISO does not change the number of photons hitting the sensor then why the charade? I'm sure you knew fully well that changing the ISO does not change the number of photons hitting the sensor then why the charade? What's the point of your expertise if you ultimately end up confusing people //

Change TO HIGHER iso means shorter time/f-stop compare to earlier iso, higher iso, GO from 400 to 800 = shorter time or more f-stop =halving the hitting photons increase amp gain

CHOSE Lower the iso means go from 800iso to 400 iso =1 STOP longer exposure time or open up 1 F-stop = let DUBBLE photons hit the sensor = decrease the amp gain
Changing iso = TIME/F-STOP CONTROL THE numberS of photons TO HIT THE SENSOR

DO YOU NOW UNDERSTAND? IF NOT FEEL FRI TO ASK

It is very difficult to discuss with people who do not understand the most basic things
and you can call what ever you want
when I was writing here first time I was insulting by two people who where wrong - and it is still going on from one person.

SO again, point out where Im wrong
Mikael, you just proved J.R. right! Please do yourself a favor and re-read his note and then re-read your response. You keep doing this. You know quite a lot but do not take to time to review your writing.

You just stated above that that:
Change TO HIGHER iso means shorter time/f-stop compare to earlier iso, higher iso, GO from 400 to 800 = shorter time or more f-stop =halving the hitting photons increase amp gain

This does not automatically happen in M or B! Do you not agree? I agree that your statement would be true for P, Av, Tv and the Green Rectangle... Your statement is a generalization. However, it cant be true for all the settings on my 5D3.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
rpt said:
Mikael Risedal said:
J.R. said:
Mikael Risedal said:

JR WROTE :I got the impression that changing the ISO would somehow change the photons hitting the sensor. I'm sure you knew fully well that changing the ISO does not change the number of photons hitting the sensor then why the charade? I'm sure you knew fully well that changing the ISO does not change the number of photons hitting the sensor then why the charade? What's the point of your expertise if you ultimately end up confusing people //

CHOSE Lower the iso means go from 800iso to 400 iso =1 STOP longer exposure time or open up 1 F-stop = let DUBBLE photons hit the sensor = decrease the amp gain

It is very difficult to discuss with people who do not understand the most basic things
when I was writing here first time I was insulting by two people who where wrong - and it is still going on from one person.

Mikael, you just proved J.R. right! Please do yourself a favor and re-read his note and then re-read your response. You keep doing this. You know quite a lot but do not take to time to review your writing.

This does not automatically happen in M or B! Do you not agree? I agree that your statement would be true for P, Av, Tv and the Green Rectangle... Your statement is a generalization. However, it cant be true for all the settings on my 5D3.

+1. But I'd suggest we kill this debate right here or pray that the admins lock this thread ...

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
J.R. said:
rpt said:
Mikael Risedal said:
J.R. said:
Mikael Risedal said:

+1. But I'd suggest we kill this debate right here or pray that the admins lock this thread ...
I agree. Motion carried!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mikael Risedal said:

@J.R. - hopefully I can clarify what Mikael 'Half The Photons' means with the above 'explanation', which I find confusing and incomplete.

Changing ISO does NOT alter the amount of light hitting the sensor. The part he leaves out (and I think it must be intentional obfuscation at this point) is that his statement applies only in an autoexposure mode (P/Av/Tv). For example, if in Av mode you switch from ISO 400 to ISO 800, the camera will then adjust the shutter speed one stop faster to give the same exposure, and it's that change in aperture that results in less light hitting the sensor. If you change ISO in M mode, there is no change in the amount of light hitting the sensor.

EDIT: I see that rpt has already corrected Mikael's incomplete explanation. @rpt - FYI, the 'explanation' also fails in Av or Tv if at the end of the range, e.g. in Tv mode, switch from ISO 800 to ISO 400, but the lens aperture is already wide open (unless Safety Shift is enabled, then the camera would force a slower shutter speed).

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
serendipidy said:
sanj said:
serendipidy said:

Fair enough. I apologize if it was overly harsh or unfair. It was meant to be helpful advice (from my perspective) which I would follow myself.

Addendum: It was not the difference of opinions or disagreement on facts but the manner in which it was repeatedly presented that I find personally distasteful IMHO. :)

:)

Upvote 0
serendipidy said:

+1

Sorry, I'm not with Team Apologists on this one.

There's no excuse for hostile, insulting language on-line from an adult.

Upvote 0
J.R. said:
Mikael Risedal said:

This. Exactly.

Excellent summary. Thank you J.R.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
neuroanatomist said:
<Snip!>

EDIT: I see that rpt has already corrected Mikael's incomplete explanation. @rpt - FYI, the 'explanation' also fails in Av or Tv if at the end of the range, e.g. in Tv mode, switch from ISO 800 to ISO 400, but the lens aperture is already wide open (unless Safety Shift is enabled, then the camera would force a slower shutter speed).
:) Yup! You da man!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mikael Risedal said:
are you for real? then you have to adjust the time/f-stopt to the metering of the subject or you are either over expose or under expose

Ahhh...now I finally understand. Mikael's cameras have infallible metering systems. Snowscapes, fields of yellow flowers, black cats...in all cases, the metered exposure is perfect, so he can always let his camera make exposure decisions for him, so he can use ISO changes to adjust his aperture and shutter speed for him. That must be nice.

Mikael Risedal said:
Some of you don't have a clue what discussion is about

2. 400 iso the head room is created by two stops , it means halving the hitting light twice to sensor

Indeed. You are stating now that at ISO 400, enabling HTP results in Half The Photons hitting the sensor, making it crystal clear that YOU (still) do not have a clue.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Mikael Risedal said:
Some of you don't have a clue what discussion is about

1.HTP at base iso , 100iso underexpose 1 stop = meteringa after 200iso = shorter time/ higher F-stop = halving the read out electrons = create a head room= fill the head room with a gain 100iso = headroom and now a new curve and rooling in the highlight smother.

2. 400 iso the head room is created by two stops , it means halving the hitting light twice to sensor= exposing after 400iso but iso gain after 200 iso = new curve and rooling in high lights

The problem that you don't seem to understand is that your posts suggest that by "only" changing the ISO by 1 stop the photons hitting the sensor will be cut in half - something that just isn't correct.

And please ... Before writing another hurried reply, see my use of the word "only".

Have a good weekend ... Whatever is left of it!

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Mikael Risedal said:
J.R. said:
Mikael Risedal said:
This is so fun JR and Neuro are so out in the blue so it will be interesting so se how they shall explain them selt out of this situation

I don't know whether to laugh or cry? ???

meet me with a argumentation based on facts

Been there, done that ... It's no use

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Mikael Risedal said:
J.R. said:
Mikael Risedal said:
This is so fun JR and Neuro are so out in the blue so it will be interesting so se how they shall explain them selt out of this situation

If this is your idea of fun then i can only assume you spread misinformation on purpose.

BTW I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your above post ???

missinformation?????? I can not help that you and other do not know the basic around time/ f-stop and exposure

Thanks ... I don't need your help

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Mikael Risedal said:
J.R. said:
Mikael Risedal said:
J.R. said:
Mikael Risedal said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry? ???

meet me with a argumentation based on facts

Been there, done that ... It's no use

ballony,
if you are to be credible you get to explain yourself

As I said before, been there, done that ... It's no use

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Mikael Risedal said:
I take it once more time
1.HTP at base iso , 100iso underexpose 1 stop = meteringa after 200iso = shorter time/ higher F-stop = halving the read out electrons = create a head room= fill the head room with a gain 100iso = headroom and now a new curve and rooling in the highlight smother.

2. 400 iso the head room is created by two stops , it means halving the hitting light twice to sensor= exposing after 400iso but iso gain after 200 iso = new curve and rooling in high lights

IF you JR and others have run out of argumentation answers, tell us, or do you understand what bI have write above?

As I said before, been there, done that ... It's no use

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mikael Risedal said:
no Im saying by exposure after 400 iso you have create a head room by 2 stops compare to 100iso
what is so difficult to understand Neuro! = exposure after 400 iso = halving the hitting lights twice compare to 100iso

Hypothetical example: I shoot jpg. I am taking a picture of a forest scene. I am in Av mode, and I set f/8 to obtain the desired DoF, and I chose ISO 400 to get a 1/100 s shutter speed at metered exposure to avoid camera shake, because I foolishly left my tripod at home. Please note, I couldn't care less about what exposure settings would be at ISO 100, 50, or 3200, that's tangential and irrelevant - I choose f/8 and ISO 400 for the reasons I stated. I take a shot, look at the review image, and see blinking highlight alerts where I want detail of the sun-dappled forest floor. I've read that HTP can preserve my highlights.

If that scenario is confusing, I'll summarize - with HTP off, I set the camera in Av mode, f/8, ISO 400, and the metered exposure gave a 1/100 s shutter speed.

Answer these questions about what happens when I set HTP to Enable:

1) Does my selected aperture of f/8 change?
2) Does the camera-selected shutter speed of 1/100 s change?
3) Does the amount of light hitting the sensor change?

Please, no hand-waving, no 'please read my earlier posts', no repeating what you've posted before, no referring to what may happen at some other ISO setting that I didn't select and don't care about - just answer those three, simple questions with a yes or a no.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.