Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

Hybrid's are always a compromise, but I'm curious why Canon chose these compromises here. The main criticism I have is the need to switch between photo/video OS. As a stills cameras, it is stills only as it cannot shoot video in photo mode and also doesn't have ibis. As a pro cine camera (utilizing the EOS C OS), it doesn't have NDs, utilizes a micro-hdmi port and can't autofocus the lens mount at certain resolutions since it uses the 16.7Wh LP-E6 style battery which doesn't have enough output. Most pro-cine camera take external batteries like the Canon BP-A30/A60 with up to 90Wh and some aftermarket batteries have built in D-Tap to power your FF/Wireless TX/etc. The camera's footprint itself is not exactly ergonomic either in either photo or video mode as a result.

I'm curious who the target market is for this. I give credit for them trying this approach as nobody has tried this yet. Most hybrid cameras on the market are a mix of 70% stills and 30% video more or less, but Canon tried to give it a 50%/50% mix with the photo/video side each giving up certain features. You would have to have a specific use case where you would be willing to put up with those compromises such as only wanting to carry 1 body on a job that requires both pro-stills and pro-video.

But the one positive is I think they got the price right. Any proper cine camera alone will cost way more than this and it won't be able to do any stills at all. You are mostly getting Canon's full featured cinema OS and body here along with most of what the R5 can also do in stills. Personally, I still enjoy prefer hybrids that can do mostly stills/video 70%/30% combined with a proper cine camera that can do 100% video duty. This half and half approach isn't where I would spend my money..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I read it all, thank you for the answer.

But next time splitting it in to paragraphs would really help making it clearer and easier for me :) It's not the length of the reply, just difficult to read the single long paragraph.
Ha. I fixed it. I just went on a long talk to text thing and didn’t think about breaking it up

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That's not even true though. They can buy an R3, R5, or R6, and if they need long takes (really long on the R3) they can add an external recorder.

All of these cameras have reports of lockups. Really bad of Canon to make expensive gear thats flawed.

@bergstrom, you are mixing apples and oranges. The lockups that I and others have experienced occurs during stills shooting. I am not aware of someone encountering a lockup while shooting video.

Upvote 0
Can I ask you why didn't you go for the R3?
Asking cause it seams I will have to go with it having the same workflow like you do.
I own r5 and R6 and started to use R6 more for the video since the cool down is much faster and it actually cools down while shooting photos oppose to R5 which accumulate heat in a photo mode.
Now with r5c not fitting my needs I will have to go for the R3 which I will probably have to wait till March. But I Don't see a lot of people considering R3 here for the hybrid work flow, is there any reason for that, beside the price and the waiting time to get one?
Yes you can ask, I think the R3 is almost like a slap in the face if you're a 1D owner. There are some better things about it but it gets old buying and selling. There is no reason Canon should have crippled the read out speed of the 1dx and the R6 the way they did but they did. I wish they would have made a R6c now that would be fantastic as long as the read out speed was fixed.

I actually just went and played with a R3 at my local camera store as the Canon rep is there and it feels quite nice and it has me thinking but the big problem I have like many people is that I don't want to buy a new computer to deal with the HEVC codec, sure I can run my atomos like I do with my 1Dx and 1Dc's but I then am trading out one for something very similar and yes I would gain IBIS but if people want to shoot in 10 bit you have to use that dreaded hevc, which I really cannot stand that if you shoot in 10 bit it is log and hevc. Why did they have to complicate it so much. I also just don't trust canon mirrorless in the conditions that I work in.

Until I see a review of a R3 in 100 degree heat and it doesn't over heat then maybe, until then I'll stick with way to many cameras. So here we are back to square one and that is first world problems.

Upvote 0
Have you tired the electronic IS? I hear it works pretty well but there is a crop. I am certainly no IBIS/EIS guru. I mostly do tripod work.
Its ok to use, I will use it at night when I have to put on fast glass with no stabe. I prefer IBIS as most probably do. People always think you should have a tripod or shoulder rig but they probably have never had to run with that stuff.
Anyway hope all is rad

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Ok, and Sony’s A1? What about Nikon’s Z9? All record 8K and all have IBIS. Oh, and neither require a fan and holes in the side of the camera.

I suspect we are going to see all of these issues resolved in the upcoming R1. The R1 will be my next Canon body. I’m skipping the strange variants and minor revisions to existing bodies. Until then I’ll just have to make do with my R3:)
“When Quinn the Eskimo gets here . . . “

• Haha
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I am right know pretty sure, that the slow switch time, was because of the sensor cleanup.
He showed the general boot time from "off" to photo oder video, and it was super fast, way under one second. Just like the R5.
I guess it was only the sensor cleanup, while turning off, that took so long.

On a job where I need to switch often and quick, I could just deactivate this feature and probably get this fast switch time. Although its rarely ever the case, that I need this fast switching.
Interesting. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the Off position is in between the two modes? So once it passes through, it automatically goes into sensor clean mode? Maybe firmware can be updated to bypass cleaning if switched from photo to video and vice versa instantaneously?

I did try to test it out on the R5 and noticed something interesting. Disabling the sensor clean on shutoff is only good for one time usage. It then resets to clean on auto-shutoff when you turn it back on again. If the R5C behaves this way, disabling sensor cleaning may not be a practical work around.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Ok, and Sony’s A1? What about Nikon’s Z9? All record 8K and all have IBIS. Oh, and neither require a fan and holes in the side of the camera.

I suspect we are going to see all of these issues resolved in the upcoming R1. The R1 will be my next Canon body. I’m skipping the strange variants and minor revisions to existing bodies. Until then I’ll just have to make do with my R3:)
Both, A1 and Z9 dont do 8k60, or am I mistaken?
Also the Z9 is much bigger, so its easier to put in a larger heatsink.
The A1 can overheat as far as I heard, but I am not sure. Its certainly an impressive camera. But than again, no 8k60, and the 4k120 is not oversampled from 8k (which is a huge feature in the R5C in my opinion).

The S1H for example got a bit lower specs as the R5C and it also needed a fan.
The R5C is still a super duper small body - so I guess its still dificult to squeeze 8k60 and 4k120 oversampled without overheat in it, without a fan.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
When shooting weddings, waiting 5 seconds to go from one to the other is not an option. Its a lifetime.
I dont think its actualy taking this long. Booting into any mode only takes less than one second.
I think it only took so long in his video, because he had the sensor cleanup at shutdown set to ON.
If you shoot a wedding, you can leave this feature off, and I guess you can switch much much faster :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
When shooting weddings, one would hopefully have more bodies than just one R5C.
Yeah...imagine being paid what wedding photographers do and being like "sorry I can't take any photos right now because I'm videoing the procession with my ONE camera body" or "you're going to have to choose whether I set up outside the hall for posed family portraits or recording the cake cutting because I can't bounce back and forth between the two". Heck, just for stills, most wedding photographers I have seen carry 2 bodies, one with a wide and one with a telephoto.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
No IBIS!!! What a rip off! It's unbelievable! Sony can do it!!

Oh wait...my lenses all have IS...and if they didn't, I can easily get lenses with IS.

But still, it's an outrage! Why can't Canon make the exact camera I want even if the majority of video pros don't want IBIS or all the other specs that I absolutely need to produce my YouTube videos!

Yeah, I'll get that perfect A1 that cost way more than it is worth and does overheat, but who cares about that stuff!

Mommy!!! Please make Canon give me the camera I want...Please Mommy!!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
No IBIS!!! What a rip off! It's unbelievable! Sony can do it!!

Oh wait...my lenses all have IS...and if they didn't, I can easily get lenses with IS.

But still, it's an outrage! Why can't Canon make the exact camera I want even if the majority of video pros don't want IBIS or all the other specs that I absolutely need to produce my YouTube videos!

Yeah, I'll get that perfect A1 that cost way more than it is worth and does overheat, but who cares about that stuff!

Mommy!!! Please make Canon give me the camera I want...Please Mommy!!
haha. I admit I did experience similar albeit milder rollercoaster of emotions about the IBIS. I calmed down when I realized my lenses have Optical IS. And I can use them without IBIS. R5 won't let you use OIS without IBIS.

Upvote 0