Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM and Canon Speedlite EL-5

Jul 21, 2010
Just curious, what happened to the digital zoom that CR Guy claimed the camera would have? Did I miss that?
Bryan/TDP lists one 6DII spec as, "Digital 2x and 4x extender (JPG support only)," and under 'additional features' his preview lists, "The EOS R6 II features a Digital tele-conv menu option, with 2x or 4x settings available (for JPG images only)." No idea if that means crop and upscale or just crop.

Edit: images are cropped 2x or 4x then upscaled to 24 MP. From Canon:

Digital teleconverter: One-touch extra reach

Note the footnote: The image quality will be reduced because the image is enlarged and recorded. JPEG shooting only. The AF frame is fixed at the centre point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
All firmware. Any downloadable firmware update would have satisfied an R6 upgrade. Its a total waste of money. Not worth $1500 let alone $2500 + tax
There’s clearly more than firmware here. Imo, there are enough hardware and firmware upgrades to justify keeping it the same price. If Canon had added everything people seem to have wanted that would have probably justified a price increase. Also, the R6I has now been discounted $200 if you still prefer the original and want to pick it up as a cheaper option.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Bryan/TDP lists one 6DII spec as, "Digital 2x and 4x extender (JPG support only)," and under 'additional features' his preview lists, "The EOS R6 II features a Digital tele-conv menu option, with 2x or 4x settings available (for JPG images only)." No idea if that means crop and upscale or just crop.

Note the footnote: The image quality will be reduced because the image is enlarged and recorded. JPEG shooting only. The AF frame is fixed at the centre point.
Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
Ok but what does “overheat control (in movie recording) - YES” mean in the spec sheet.
This is confusing to me.
It says you can record 6 hours in 4K 30fps

So does that mean it won’t shut down after a little while asking you to let the camera cool down?

4k60 is where it still has to shut down after like 40 min.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
So, it seems I'll have to wait for more detailed info about and tests of that new (old tech? - whatever) sensor.
German pricing of about 2,9 k € (incl. VAT) are not inspiring, too.

My guts tell me, it'll take some more time and more tempting offers to draw me into the R system.
I'm glad to give my 5D4 a few more actuations ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah, just on the flagship camera now. :(

Never personally been a fan of the big 1D-type camera bodies (even if the R3 is marginally smaller).
Ironic.:unsure: I strongly prefer the integrated grip (I put accessory grips on my T1i/500D, 7D and 5DII before getting the 1D X), and I have no real use for built-in GPS.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
So, it seems I'll have to wait for more detailed info about and tests of that new (old tech? - whatever) sensor.
German pricing of about 2,9 k € (incl. VAT) are not inspiring, too.

My guts tell me, it'll take some more time and more tempting offers to draw me into the R system.
I'm glad to give my 5D4 a few more actuations ;)
I was ready to upgrade from the EOS R ( R5 )when the RF 100 macro came.
Presently, I'm also mostly using a 5 D IV, having far too many EF lenses.
Yet, when a new interesting lens appears, like for instance a 14mm TSE, 50mm L macro or an improved 100 macro, I'll plunge !
I'd prefer a high MP body (R5 or R5 "S") for heavier cropping, so the R 6, though tempting, will not be my choice.

Upvote 0

Thanks. Intriguing. I look forward to seeing examples compared to enlargements done with external software. I guess modern computing could make it slightly better than old fashioned digital zoom, but I won't hold my breath.

Upvote 0