Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM and Canon Speedlite EL-5

Jul 21, 2010
Thanks. Intriguing. I look forward to seeing examples compared to enlargements done with external software. I guess modern computing could make it slightly better than old fashioned digital zoom, but I won't hold my breath.
I doubt that Canon's in-camera 'digital teleconverter' will outperform Topaz Gigapixel AI.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

splatrabbit

Canon 5Ds, 6Dmk2 and a plethora of lenses.
Apr 13, 2020
Utah
instagram.com
Agreed. This forum was looking for the R3 sensor in a 6-series body. That never made sense. This is actually a R6mk2 because of what they updated. If it was priced higher than the original, I'd be disappointed. But at the same price, it's actually a legit Mark II model. Hopefully this "new" sensor has the better dynamic range than the R6 so it doesn't end up being a 6D to 6Dmk2 disappointment again. (Photo guy here, couldn't care less about video)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Ironic.:unsure: I strongly prefer the integrated grip (I put accessory grips on my T1i/500D, 7D and 5DII before getting the 1D X), and I have no real use for built-in GPS.
A friend of mine had 7D mk 2(he recently upgrade to R6) and he said other than out of curiosity once he never used that built-in GPS(rather preferred to use external unit) as it drained battery. Even I prefer to use either my cellphone or Garmin handheld and sync co-ords later on.

Agreed. This forum was looking for the R3 sensor in a 6-series body. That never made sense. This is actually a R6mk2 because of what they updated. If it was priced higher than the original, I'd be disappointed. But at the same price, it's actually a legit Mark II model. Hopefully this "new" sensor has the better dynamic range than the R6 so it doesn't end up being a 6D to 6Dmk2 disappointment again. (Photo guy here, couldn't care less about video)
Canon could have added a BSI sensor and if I remember correctly there was an interview of Canon engineer either after release of R5 or R3 stating there wont be any more Canon cameras with Front side circuitry but here we are Canon still stuck with ancient tech on their cameras while competition is offering BSI sensors.

Upvote 0
Been a member on this site for about ten years. That's long enough to see the same patterns of prediction and response play out dozens of times. It cracks me up how some things don't change, even if many of the usernames do.

What I do know is that over that time, and despite howling and foaming at the mouth from some, Canon still rolls on, producing incredible products -- despite competition, pandemic, recessions, inflation, etc.

Brand new, higher-resolution sensor, new processor, improved Autofocus, double the max burst rate, no record limit in video, oversampled 4K, and more -- and Canon keeps the launch price the same as the camera's predecessor two years ago -- in a world of ridiculous inflation.

And people still winge and say silly things, like that it's just a firmware update. Newsflash: Frame rate is driven by speed of the sensor readout, processing power, buffer depth, and write speed. Not just firmware.

Can you imagine if three years ago, I said Canon's 6-Series body could shoot 40 FPS silently with mild rolling shutter? That it used deep learning AF to accurately track a variety of subjects with incredible accuracy? And it would only be USD $2,500 (only $500 more than the 6DII at the time)? People would have thought I was HarryFilm (no offense, Harry :p)!

How quickly people forget that the 6 Series was once Canon's full frame entry tier. It just shows how incredible the R6 was to be so well equipped when it launched alongside the R5.

I love my R5, but I'm really excited to tell my brother about the R6II as he's been on the fence about whether to get the R6 or the R5, price being a significant factor.

What an amazing time we live in to be so spoiled for choice with a veritable smorgasbord of incredibly capable offerings from a variety of companies.

Stepping off the soapbox now...

Fun Thought: In the spring of 2020, a 5DIV was $3,500. And you got a whopping 7 FPS.

Reactions: 23 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I was ready to upgrade from the EOS R ( R5 )when the RF 100 macro came.
Presently, I'm also mostly using a 5 D IV, having far too many EF lenses.
Yet, when a new interesting lens appears, like for instance a 14mm TSE, 50mm L macro or an improved 100 macro, I'll plunge !
I'd prefer a high MP body (R5 or R5 "S") for heavier cropping, so the R 6, though tempting, will not be my choice.
Fully understand!
Personally, I like something in the MP count between the R6 II and my 5D4.
Especially when looking at SSD memory needed and the processing speed on my PC, I do not know if a R5 would be the right tool for me.
IMO, all R bodies cost too much for what they individually offer, esp. R5 and both R6.
Maybe my opinion will change by time, getting more and more used to the new pricing Canon does. And tech will also continue to develop.
Until then, I am happy with what I have.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Been a member on this site for about ten years. That's long enough to see the same patterns of prediction and response play out dozens of times. It cracks me up how some things don't change, even if many of the usernames do.
*LOL* Same impression here ;)
What I do know is that over that time, and despite howling and foaming at the mouth from some, Canon still rolls on, producing incredible products -- despite competition, pandemic, recessions, inflation, etc.
Funny, that Canon still exists.
It seems they're doing something right, don't they?

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
This is the camera that will take folks like me, still squeezing the last drops out of the RP, to an IBIS camera that is a fitting upgrade at an (almost) affordable price. I can understand current R6 owners discussing whether the upgrade is worth it, but from an RP this is a compelling story. I was eyeing the R6 for a while as some pre-owned were hitting sub-$2,000 prices, but I think the extra $500 (maybe less with Canon fidelity prices?) is worth it for the extra MP, further improvement to autofocus, extended battery life, etc. etc.
As for the 135mm, I have been waiting for almost 20 years for an IS 135mm prime, but the early leaks on this new lens had me worried that the 1.8 aperture would result in a huge lens. This new version has an 82mm filter and weighs 935 grams, versus the 72mm / 750 grams of the EF 2.0, a very acceptable step up for the increased aperture and IS.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I currently have the A7iv. I would get the R6 II because it pretty much has everything I want. However, I'm not a fan of canon's rf 1.8 lenses with their garbage stm motor for video work. If I want to use a gimbal, I have to use their big bazooka zooms. Their 1.2 Primes are terrible for video because of the focus breathing and Focus breathing compensation only works on the zooms. Plus Sony gm lenses are cheaper since I qualify for the edu discount. I can also get Sigma and Tamron lenses for cheap without sacrificing much quality. Might just wait until the R5ii and the 35mm 1.4 L or 35mm 1.2 lens comes out since that's what I'm waiting for.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
The past view years might have seen a lot of progress for photographers who want to shoot fast moving subjects and need a lot of frames and a goof autofocus, but for people who just take photos of skyscrapers, those new cameras sadly do not bring a lot of advantage besides IBIS. For the photos I take, cameras already seem to have peaked many years ago. Only better low might performance brings a visible advantage for me, but not much has happened at that front. That may be disappointing, but on the other hand it also is good for me. My very old camera still is competitive when it comes to taking photos of skyscrapers. Someone with an R3 will not have any benefit compared to me. In the past it was always very annoying for me when photography advanced so much within a few years that most of my past photos did no longer meet the current technical standards, but that is no longer the case. As long as I use good glass, I might be able to use my "vintage" camera for another ten years.

Upvote 0
I doubt that Canon's in-camera 'digital teleconverter' will outperform Topaz Gigapixel AI.
Agreed - honestly I've been pleasantly surprised by Adobe's super resolution provided that you run it on the raw file prior to editing outside the raw processor. Better on some images than others

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I can understand current R6 owners discussing whether the upgrade is worth it...
I doubt it's intended to be. People seem to think Canon should develop each camera's in-line successor to be a compelling upgrade for current owners and are surprised when that's not the case. Especially not in this case where the cycle time was <2.5 years.

In general, it seems upgrades are intended to attract users of lower-tier bodies or in-line bodies that are 2-3 iterations back. At this point, Canon is still trying to move their DSLR user base (which is very large) to MILCs. Given that, this camera is likely intended to appeal to 6DII and 5DIII users.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
I'm an old AP photographer. Took my F-1 all over the world. Got into digital last year, picked up an RP , and a battery grip ...
IT's a bit heavy for this old bird, especially since I invested in superior lenses. My Daughter LOVES my RP, so BOOOM! It's Hers, I preordered! Now my Camera will do my lenses justice.

Canon R 50 1.2L, 85.12 L, 70 - 200 2.8 L
And a few EF lenses.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
4k60 is where it still has to shut down after like 40 min.
The initial reviews with pre-production units (dpreview TV, Cameralabs, proAV etc.) showed that it could record a lot longer at room temp, past 2 hours in one case. I'm curious how it would hold up outdoors at 30+ degrees Celsius, I bet the 40 minutes isn't about room temp :)

Upvote 0
Well... after watching several videos, I'm torn again. Definitely dissapointed about the sensor... but oh well.

Was looking hard at the A7IV over the original R6, but now I'm not so sure.

A7IV: Better dynamic range (Still?), Dual-ish ISO
R6II: No 4k60 Crop, 12/40 Stills

I think the clincher for me will be whether the wide angle wobble in the Cannon is gone or not, and how it compares to the A7IV in low light.
Given that the new sensor is faster, I think Canon has the advantage, but I will wait for comparisons (which will be inevitable over the coming weeks) ;)

Upvote 0
Just curious, what happened to the digital zoom that CR Guy claimed the camera would have? Did I miss that?
Better High Iso = higher shutter speed.

If you check out the high ISO raws on DPreview of the R3 even 6400 is really clean. Compared to the R6 it's about a stop - two stops better than the R5 and R6.

Upvote 0