Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM and Canon Speedlite EL-5

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Someone probably posted this already, but TDP has a review up of a pre-production 135/1.8
Just in case you haven't seen this yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
In video, with a wide angle lens... whether vloging or following somone up close... with IBIS turned on... the background wobbles around, but it's differnt than camera shake (with IBIS Off).

Pretty much the only solution is IBIS off with a gimbal, but that is a bulky solution.
The Sony's don't seem to have the wobble issue from what I can tell.
Thank you, that's helpful! Trying to sort out issues that are video related and photo related.

Someone above had a really good post about still photography tech reaching a sort of plateau. The 5DIII sensor I currently use is plenty for my needs, but there are things about the mirrorless bodies - focus peaking in the EVF, IBIS, lighter weight, wifi - that would certainly improve the user experience so it's all very attractive to me. I'm not at all into the video stuff, but that seems to be where a lot of the new tech is focused so in a sense I'm buying into a new system but only using half of it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think the max guide number in meters might be a misprint. The max GN in feet is 169.9, which translates to about 52m.
The Canon USA specifications section states, "The maximum Guide No. is approximately 196.9 ft./60m at ISO 100 and 200mm flash coverage." Canon EU lists GN 60 m. So, I'm pretty sure the 169.9 ft GN is a misprint – whoever wrote the intro paragraph for the Canon USA page just transposed 196.9 to 169.9.

Same master capabilities for radio. If you're like me, with a few old optical only flashes though, makes an upgrade a little tougher.
I did have a shoot (in the family, I'm not a pro,) recently where I was using high speed fill flash and cycle time on my old 580ex was really a limitation. Missed several shots because of it, and the EL-1 is out of my budget, so this one is looking interesting..
If you really need to integrate an older, optically triggered Speedlite into an RT setup you can use a Sonia Green optical trigger, although that requires manual mode (no E-TTL pre flash). I use the built-in optical trigger on my PCB Einstein monolight and it works fine (I had the PocketWizard MC2 radio for that, but the whole MiniTT1/TT5/MC2 setup was kludgy, and I have been much happier with Canon's RT system).

The rapid-fire of the EL-5 will be nice for on-camera flash. With off-camera, I've never needed to trigger that fast as those are more controlled setups for me (studio portraits).

I'm curious to try out the Custom Flash settings linked to C1/C2/C3 on the camera. Nice to see features like that enabled by the multifunction shoe.

Even more useful for me (and another improvement over the EL-1) is the menu direct button on the EL-5, where one press brings up the flash control settings on the camera LCD. The ST-E10 has it, and it's very convenient for me since I find it easier to control flash group settings via the camera (though like the EL-1, the EL-5 also has a more useful display that mimics the camera flash control screens).

Looks like March 30, 2023 is the expected delivery date for the EL-5.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
What a cringe inducing ad. We’re the drone shots using the R6 II. Must have been a big rig. The 4 people looked totally unprepared for the weather in the Faroes. No rain jackets , just fancy down jackets that are useless in the rain. Quite a beautiful and rugged place (and quite dangerous (windy , wet and lots of drops of 1000 feet). Was probably never going to get the R6 II as the R5 is still superb. That ad alone would put me off. Seems to be only selling video, no stills shown. It’s a bit of a boring update.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't understand you guys. This is not an upgrade for the R5. R5 is better in almost every aspect. I don't even know why R5 users are trashtalking here. This camera solved a lot of things that R6 had. Yes, if you only do stills it's not worth the upgrade, if you do more video maybe you can consider the upgrade on the eventuallity you are using the new things R6II comes with.

Great upgrade for the guys like me who own an R and do still and video like 50/50%. I love it! It's seems an amazing camera. Will do wonders with my RF50 1.2 and future 24-70 2.8

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Well, I've put my money where my mouth is and I have indeed pre-ordered the RF 135mm this morning (took me a while since Adorama web site had some issues). Now I have to wait till beginning of 2023...

As per the R6 mkII... I guess I will need to enjoy some crow since it does not have a stacked sensor. I am sure Canon will sell a lot of them but I cannot avoid feeling underwhelmed by this release. Not a big deal since I am not part of its target market anyways, but I do wonder how well it will fare against the A7 IV

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Isn´t it, that in some US states taxes vary from state to state? Maybe someone from US can tell us.
State taxes do indeed vary from state to state, and the structure varies too. Basically there are three kinds of taxes (sales, income, and property) and each state has their own mix. Some states don't have sales tax but have higher income and/or property tax. Mine has a fairly high sales tax but low property tax, with about average income tax rate.

But it's worse than that...in some states, it makes a big difference where you are, because local governments can *also* impose sales and property taxes. You can cross a street here and be dealing with a different sales tax rate because you're now in a different city. Or county. In fact my state is notorious for being difficult for online retailers to figure the correct tax...because it depends on your address.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So the "digital teleconverter" was just a rumour?

I can't see any reference to it in the specs, or have I missed something?
You have missed something.

Images are cropped 2x or 4x then upscaled to 24 MP.

From Canon: Digital teleconverter: One-touch extra reach

Note the footnote: The image quality will be reduced because the image is enlarged and recorded. JPEG shooting only. The AF frame is fixed at the centre point.

Upvote 0
I don't understand you guys. This is not an upgrade for the R5. R5 is better in almost every aspect. I don't even know why R5 users are trashtalking here. This camera solved a lot of things that R6 had. Yes, if you only do stills it's not worth the upgrade, if you do more video maybe you can consider the upgrade on the eventuallity you are using the new things R6II comes with.

Great upgrade for the guys like me who own an R and do still and video like 50/50%. I love it! It's seems an amazing camera. Will do wonders with my RF50 1.2 and future 24-70 2.8
Well I own both R5 and R6 and I preordered the R6mk2 right away...It is an amazing release in so many ways it outperforms even the R5.
I see a great tool that will make my life much easier while working, than the R6 and in some ways than the R5
I've noticed People here tend to have really unrealistic expectations...

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
State taxes do indeed vary from state to state, and the structure varies too. Basically there are three kinds of taxes (sales, income, and property) and each state has their own mix. Some states don't have sales tax but have higher income and/or property tax. Mine has a fairly high sales tax but low property tax, with about average income tax rate.

But it's worse than that...in some states, it makes a big difference where you are, because local governments can *also* impose sales and property taxes. You can cross a street here and be dealing with a different sales tax rate because you're now in a different city. Or county. In fact my state is notorious for being difficult for online retailers to figure the correct tax...because it depends on your address.
So, next time when I'll be visiting the United States, I'll have to pay more attention to where and what I'll buy...
Anyway, buying a camera in the US, I mean legally!, isn't interesting for us French: US Price + 20% VAT + approximately 16% custom duties.
But for outdoor clothing, Lie Nielsen woodworking tools, below the import tax limit...

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Do not forget France or the UK.
When my son broke his wrist (as a foreigner!) on a DH track in Fort William, Scotland, we didn't have to pay one penny !
And the first question asked wasn't about my credit card...
They don't ask about your credit card first either here in the US. They just don't tell you the price of treatment and send you a massive bill afterwards.

• Sad
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well, there has to be an R5 MK II next year, right? Because the fact that it doesn't have a hotshoe is becoming a huge problem...
I'm pretty sure the R5 has a hotshoe. :p So far, there are only three Canon products which are not compatible with the old 5-pin shoe – the ST-E10 and the EL-5 (the latter won't even be available until the end of March 2023) and the DM-E1D mic. The R5C has the new multifunction shoe, and that's the intended audience for accessories like the Tascam XLR adapter and Canon's shotgun mic.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Upvote 0
Another nice feature is shutter speed of 1/16000 is now available in electronic mode.
Strangely, on of the YouTube previewers, Manny Ortiz, said he would have loved to get 1/16000 on electronic shutter, but it maxed out at 1/8000. Meaning the specs sheet has better specs than the beta cameras they previewed.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
They don't ask about your credit card first either here in the US. They just don't tell you the price of treatment and send you a massive bill afterwards.
This was not my experience in a desert hospital, long time ago, when I needed a suture removal. Amex? MC? Visa? Yet the bill was humane ($150). And the staff was extremely friendly, the doc even offered me an unaccompanied test ride in his brand-new Grand Cherokee which I had admired through the window !!!
I was flabbergasted (just wanted to use this cute so-british sounding adjective...) ;)

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Strangely, on of the YouTube previewers, Manny Ortiz, said he would have loved to get 1/16000 on electronic shutter, but it maxed out at 1/8000. Meaning the specs sheet has better specs than the beta cameras they previewed.

It being 1/16000 makes this a potential upgrade for me

Upvote 0