Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Are we talking about oil splatter?

Well, I have good news, the 1DX3 has oil splatter hahaha... it's not funny I know, and mine is minimal (maybe 6-10 or so fairly small spots) compared to my old container ship the Mk2, buts it's there, and there from 100 images. I wont check for it again unless I see it wide open, and even then I'll probably ignore that too.
I am sorry to hear about that. I do not have a substantial experience shooting with 1dx II body.. MU understanding is that shooting in a silent mode, should slow mirror actuation speed down, undoubtedly... would that reduce (if not eliminate completely) oil splatter?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Are we talking about oil splatter?

Well, I have good news, the 1DX3 has oil splatter hahaha... it's not funny I know, and mine is minimal (maybe 6-10 or so fairly small spots) compared to my old container ship the Mk2, buts it's there, and there from 100 images. I wont check for it again unless I see it wide open, and even then I'll probably ignore that too.
My unscientific idea is that one should not fire away at max too much during "brake-in" since lube tends to firm up with time. I have not had a serious problem with the 1DX2 and what I have is seldom showing on photos. When it does, it's simple to fix. So, in more than 30k shots (admittedly, not a big number) I haven't bothered with a cleaning.

If I really search for it like Artie did and encouraged me to do, then it appears to be so bad I'd never feel confident in even using the camera.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I had pretty much forgotten about this issue. My Mark II was sufficiently bad that I pretty much quit using it for anything with lots of sky in it once I got the 5DIV. For most subjects it's not a problem, but I wouldn't recommend a 1Dx for people who like to shoot landscapes. Clearly, it varies from camera to camera and also depends on what you shoot and what your tolerance is. I've never had a sports shot ruined by dust/splatter, so I guess that's a good thing.

It did cause me to buy some sensor cleaning tools and I do try and remember to periodically clean the sensor.

I'm a bit disappointed if they haven't made any progress with the 1Dx III.

Some people say it's an unavoidable side product of the high fps of the shutter. My understanding is that mirrorless still use a mechanical shutter, so I wonder if there will be problems with the R5 if it has the rumored high fps. Or, will not having a mirror reduce the risk? What's the consensus here?

Upvote 0
I should say it's a lot better imo. The splatter is much smaller blobs, I'm happy with it, after all it's a mechanical device with moving parts, talking of moving parts they travel at such speed you are bound to get something, dust, fibres, oil and anything else that finds it's way into the mirror box and prism housing and so on. One of those things, I used my old OM10 last week, the viewfinder even has small mushrooms haha

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0