Canon officially announces the EOS R100 and RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
I would want it to be a DSLR though.

The last Canon camera with a mirror was the 850D in 2020, and I'm pretty sure it was the last in history; I'm pretty sure we won't see any more new DSLR presented, at least from Canon, Nikon and Sony, there's really no reason to mass produce anything with a mirror today, it's dead tech.

(Said by the one who just purchased yesterday an used 6D ahahah :ROFLMAO: but I needed it; I'm moving from weddings and events to basically only studio photography, so R10 is a good backup, but the moment I did it, I had a surge of unexpected weddings and low-light events, and in the last I found myself struggling with high iso from R10, so if R6 dies in the field I thought would be better to have a FF spare in the bag. I paid it 350€ paired with a 40 STM which I'm going to resell, so basically I'll pay it 250€, which is decent money for an emergency spare. Maybe next year when some used R8 will start finding their way to the market I'll ditch both R10 and 6D for it).

Upvote 0
The last Canon camera with a mirror was the 850D in 2020, and I'm pretty sure it was the last in history; I'm pretty sure we won't see any more new DSLR presented, at least from Canon, Nikon and Sony, there's really no reason to mass produce anything with a mirror today, it's dead tech.

(Said by the one who just purchased yesterday an used 6D ahahah :ROFLMAO: but I needed it; I'm moving from weddings and events to basically only studio photography, so R10 is a good backup, but the moment I did it, I had a surge of unexpected weddings and low-light events, and in the last I found myself struggling with high iso from R10, so if R6 dies in the field I thought would be better to have a FF spare in the bag. I paid it 350€ paired with a 40 STM which I'm going to resell, so basically I'll pay it 250€, which is decent money for an emergency spare. Maybe next year when some used R8 will start finding their way to the market I'll ditch both R10 and 6D for it).

One thing I like about DSLR is no lag in the OVF, and I can keep my eye on the OVF without worrying about battery life. My M5 EVF takes about a second or two to turn on after I move my eye to it. What is the EVF lag when moving your eye to it like for the R10 and R6?

I also recently bought a used 6D, I used it at a concert the other night and I was very happy with the results.

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
One thing I like about DSLR is no lag in the OVF, and I can keep my eye on the OVF without worrying about battery life. My M5 EVF takes about a second or two to turn on after I move my eye to it. What is the EVF lag when moving your eye to it like for the R10 and R6?

No perceivable lag for me with both cameras, I put my eye to it and it turns on instantly (and I only shoot EVF, I never use display to compose; I also have disabled the exposure sim, so I practically work as I had an OVF).
About battery, I recently shot a 2500 pictures wedding with the R6, with the battery grip, so double battery; each battery then took over 1200 images, and both were around 40/45% in the end, so I gather I can shoot around 2000 pictures with one battery.
But I extensively use ECO mode, and when camera is not in use for more then 30sec, I directly shut it off with the power switch.
From the R10 I can squeeze 500 to 700 shots, depending on the situation.

6D is great in low lights events, I already had the 6D prior to the R6 (so mid 2014 to early 2022) and was really satisfied with its performance.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I too raised an eyebrow at the lack of a touchscreen, but having said that as someone who lives through such devices, I almost never use the one on my R6, indeed I forget it's even there most of the time. Maybe Canon has some market insight that people seeking a "proper" camera at the low end don't use them much either? Although an R6 has more physical controls so it's easier to ignore (I do use it when editing shots on the camera though).

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
I too raised an eyebrow at the lack of a touchscreen, but having said that as someone who lives through such devices, I almost never use the one on my R6, indeed I forget it's even there most of the time. Maybe Canon has some market insight that people seeking a "proper" camera at the low end don't use them much either? Although an R6 has more physical controls so it's easier to ignore (I do use it when editing shots on the camera though).

On both my R6 and R10 the touch is entirely disabled from day one, I don't need it as both cameras can be fully controlled with dials and buttons in a much faster way (and I also fckng HATE fingerprints on my screen); otherwise I would find the touch much more useful on smaller cameras like R50 or R100, because they have less mech controls to use.
The only time in my life I had to use an ILC with the touch (so of course I don't consider GoPro's and compacts) was when I had a M6 Mark II as backup camera, as the touch was the only way (like I'm sure on R50 and R100, I don't remember exactly their features) to move the focus point around the viewfinder, as the M6II lacked any form of joystick/multicontroller. And in fact I sold the camera less then 6 months later, as I found it totally unusable for me; in its palce I got the R10 instead, that has the best controlling device for the AF points (IMHO), the joystick.

So I really find strange and frankly a nonsense the missing touch from the R100, as it's probably the camera that will be mostly bought by people that have previously used only phones, and so they almost entirely rely on a touch screen experience.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
On both my R6 and R10 the touch is entirely disabled from day one, I don't need it as both cameras can be fully controlled with dials and buttons in a much faster way (and I also fckng HATE fingerprints on my screen); otherwise I would find the touch much more useful on smaller cameras like R50 or R100, because they have less mech controls to use.
The key benefit of the touchscreen is AF point selection. The typical joystick worked well with the relatively few AF points of a DSLR. On MILCs where essentially the entire field is available for AF, I find joystick or D-pad selection to be slow and kludgy. On my EOS R, I used the upper right quadrant of the touchscreen for AF point selection when shooting through the VF, and I configured my R8 the same way.

IMO, there is no better way to select and activate an AF point than the 'smart controller' on the R3 (and 1D X III). Slide your thumb to move the AF point anywhere in the field, press it for AF-ON.

So I really find strange and frankly a nonsense the missing touch from the R100, as it's probably the camera that will be mostly bought by people that have previously used only phones, and so they almost entirely rely on a touch screen experience.
Perhaps the takeaway is that Canon thinks the AF is good enough to automatically select your subject(s), focus on the eyes, etc.

I wonder how many smartphone users tap the screen to select a subject for AF and exposure? Of those who do and have an iPhone, I wonder how many then slide their finger up or down to adjust the exposure?

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
The key benefit of the touchscreen is AF point selection. The typical joystick worked well with the relatively few AF points of a DSLR. On MILCs where essentially the entire field is available for AF, I find joystick or D-pad selection to be slow and kludgy. On my EOS R, I used the upper right quadrant of the touchscreen for AF point selection when shooting through the VF, and I configured my R8 the same way.

IMO, there is no better way to select and activate an AF point than the 'smart controller' on the R3 (and 1D X III). Slide your thumb to move the AF point anywhere in the field, press it for AF-ON.

Perhaps the takeaway is that Canon thinks the AF is good enough to automatically select your subject(s), focus on the eyes, etc.

I wonder how many smartphone users tap the screen to select a subject for AF and exposure? Of those who do and have an iPhone, I wonder how many then slide their finger up or down to adjust the exposure?
Never tried R3 or 1Dx, so I'm not familiar with the smart controller; so for my own experience, I find the joystick the best solution for my taste, as I don't want to touch the screen in any way. If I manage to get my hands on a R8, I'll surely use the D-Pad on the back.
But I don't do any sport or fast motion, basically half of my work is studio headshot (and I leave the eye recognition do its amazing job), and the other half is wedding, were 90% of times the eye/face recognition works fine, and for the other 10% the joystick is fast enough.

But of course everyone has his own way of working; I absolutely hate touch interfaces on cameras, so I'll tweak my workflow accordingly.
Going OT, I'm a "cable guy" for computers, i have cabled keyboard, cabled mouse, cabled optical fiber even if of course the router has wifi too...I'll attach an ethernt cable to my phone too, if that was available ahah so you see, any of us has his own perversions about tech, mine are no wifi/bt and no touch interfaces unless absolutely unavoidable :-D

But on touching AF on phone, and slide up/down to tweak exposure, I surely do it ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Never tried R3 or 1Dx, so I'm not familiar with the smart controller; so for my own experience, I find the joystick the best solution for my taste, as I don't want to touch the screen in any way. If I manage to get my hands on a R8, I'll surely use the D-Pad on the back.
But I don't do any sport or fast motion, basically half of my work is studio headshot (and I leave the eye recognition do its amazing job), and the other half is wedding, were 90% of times the eye/face recognition works fine, and for the other 10% the joystick is fast enough.
Love the Smart Controller, really hope Canon pushes that feature down the camera lines.

But of course everyone has his own way of working; I absolutely hate touch interfaces on cameras, so I'll tweak my workflow accordingly.
Going OT, I'm a "cable guy" for computers, i have cabled keyboard, cabled mouse, cabled optical fiber even if of course the router has wifi too...I'll attach an ethernt cable to my phone too, if that was available ahah so you see, any of us has his own perversions about tech, mine are no wifi/bt and no touch interfaces unless absolutely unavoidable :-D
I'm happy with BT input devices and fast WiFi. However, my Apple keyboard and trackpad on my desk at home are connected to a dock via USB-lightning cables...I don't care about that from an input perspective, but it means whoever's computer gets connected to the USB-C cable from the dock gets their Mac automatically synced to the keyboard/trackpad.

Upvote 0
You can just leave the flip screen folded and it works like a fixed screen. Don't understand the appeal of not having a feature.
Sure you could, but it will still be tempting to use for shots that a tilting would be perfect for. I had a camera with one and even though it was a pain to use I still found myself using it for some shots only to get pissed at how fiddly it was. I was about to glue it shut but sold the camera instead.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sure you could, but it will still be tempting to use for shots that a tilting would be perfect for. I had a camera with one and even though it was a pain to use I still found myself using it for some shots only to get pissed at how fiddly it was. I was about to glue it shut but sold the camera instead.
Sounds like a you problem, sorry. The articulating screens on my Canon cameras are not as robust as the fixed display of my 1D X, but they’re a lot more useful than putting the angle finder C on the eyepiece.

Upvote 0